Covid19 redux

Bosco-d-gama

• Moderators
41 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

For others the death numbers are considered conspiratorial bunk, a mere ruse brought upon them as some tool used to limit their inalienable rights. And for some without visual proof of the misery covid19 brings it is not worth taking any inconvenient measures to control it.

Loved that entire post.

I wonder what the numbers are on those that think it is conspiratorial bunk relative to any other issue.

• Like 1

• Moderators
46 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

Way too many Americans are skeptical about the severity of the covid19 situation. It is viscerally impossible to envisio

Additionally, humans are wired to see things in terms of linearity, it is difficult for us to see things in term of exponential growth.

Do not have the link in front of me but, do not like the idea of China hacking into research labs no doubt mining. Guess nothing new.

It seems that we will be fast Lani g all 3 phases in an attempt to have one tentatively ready by August. Speaking of a vaccine. Meanwhile,

am understanding here that China is working on a global vaccine.

Here, from the meeting today, it appears that there will be a ramp up of some volume of possibly the

RNA vaccine already in testing.

This will cost money. Hopefully if ready in August, it will come with

minimal side effects. Maybe they will not have to dump the large lot.

Money...

Ooooops I did it again! Yet another wonderful Chinese planning moment. With all of their technical expertise they managed to launch a huge payload into orbit, 20 tons of that being the rocket that did the work. And with their loose concern for humanity they neglected to plan ahead as to where the expended rocket would renter the atmosphere. They just shot it up there and decided it was okay for that much hardware to drop out of the sky ‘wherever’. Well they lucked out. It did manage to come down in the Atlantic. But (seriously) it missed coming down on New York City by 15 minutes. It tumbled over NYC as it descended. They calculate for that something that massive (20 tons) that chunks of it would survive reentry plus it still carried unburnt fuel. Imagine 300 Kg chunks of Chinese space junk raining down on a major city. 

So could a country this recklessly irresponsible make a boo boo in their virology lab? 

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

I heard the rumble go past in the sky when the space shuttle disintegrated over Texas.

I watched the very first night landing of the shuttle.  Not that exciting except for being able to say that I was there. Looked just like an airplane landing. 

It was funny because although technically not open to the public, there was a large crowd from workers bringing family & friends to the base. We could hear the controllers on a radio. At one point, someone yells "there it is" and points. People are getting all excited. Then we hear on the radio how far away it still is and the voice on the radio says, "...still not visible to the naked eye."  I had to laugh at all those people. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

Ooooops I did it again! Yet another wonderful Chinese planning moment. With all of their technical expertise they managed to launch a huge payload into orbit, 20 tons of that being the rocket that did the work. And with their loose concern for humanity they neglected to plan ahead as to where the expended rocket would renter the atmosphere. They just shot it up there and decided it was okay for that much hardware to drop out of the sky ‘wherever’. Well they lucked out. It did manage to come down in the Atlantic. But (seriously) it missed coming down on New York City by 15 minutes. It tumbled over NYC as it descended. They calculate for that something that massive (20 tons) that chunks of it would survive reentry plus it still carried unburnt fuel. Imagine 300 Kg chunks of Chinese space junk raining down on a major city. 

So could a country this recklessly irresponsible make a boo boo in their virology lab? 

Columbia over 92 tons rained down over Texas, I saw it:

"Property Damage No one was injured and little property damage resulted from the tens of thousands of pieces of falling debris (see Chapter 10). A reimbursement program administered by NASA distributed approximately $50,000 to property owners who made claims resulting from falling debris or collateral damage from the search efforts. There were, however, a few close calls that emphasize the importance of selecting the ground track that re-entering Orbiters follow. A 600-pound piece of a main engine dug a six-foot-wide hole in the Fort Polk golf course, while an 800-pound main engine piece, which hit the ground at an estimated 1,400 miles per hour, dug an even larger hole nearby. Disaster was narrowly averted outside Nacogdoches when a piece of debris landed between two highly explosive natural gas tanks set just feet apart."

Skylab Orbit Decay:

I think over 100 tons but was a  controlled in the sense they started the decent early so it would have the least chance of hitting populated areas. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Stats, gotta love them.  I'm to the point where I don't believe any of them as different countries/states/communities have so many different testing/reporting/methodologies that they're basically useless for comparative purposes.  Who is being tested?  What percentage of the population?  Only people with symptoms?  YMMV.

For sure.  Again, as Brix said they are being "Very Liberal" with their tagging as a "Death from COVID".  

Did that person die in a car accident though tested positive or maybe not even tested, and just assumed was driving fast tot he testing site when they ran into the telephone pole?

9 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

Didn't watch the CNN take, watched it on CSPAN, the video is here if you missed it

https://www.c-span.org/video/?471837-1/white-house-coronavirus-task-force-members-testify-coronavirus-response-reopening-phases

Thanks for the link. That was painful to watch, but should be a must watch for everyone. There were several great questions and great statements and although there were some attempted spins by a few of the senators, it was from the horses' mouths and easy to see. 

9 hours ago, BigStewMan said:
10 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

wonder what the numbers are on those that think it is conspiratorial bunk relative to any other issue.

exactly what I was just thinking.

Accurate accounting.  COVID-19 is not bunk but there are motivations to increase the numbers.  I'd like to have "primary cause of death", "secondary cause of death", along with "contributing factors".  Then we could dissect the information.  Neat clean little buckets would help extrapolate the actual numbers.

Also they have understood for a while when incubated, lying on stomach gives a better outcome (probably 20% but...).  I'm still seeing all videos of people on their backs.

1 minute ago, pzannucci said:
11 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Yep, no CNN spin there. 

Of course not.  What are you thinking?

It is scary that so many people watch an read such garbage as being the truth. It was a typical click bait that a lot of sites use where the headline says one thing but the message is totally different. Most people never drill into it or look at it from the sideline and question the information's legitimacy. The authors should be looked at to see how sloped everything that they write is, and that means on both sides. Give me the facts from all sides, that's all I want.  I said it in one of my entries that vanished from this thread: 3 people can see the same thing and view it 3 different ways. That is tough enough to sort through, it's the disinformation that should have some accountability. 

15 hours ago, sputnik said:

Interesting article but the photo foreground vegetation looks like the Sonoran Desert - the only place in the world where Saguaros grow.  The ship, background, and clouds shout Photoshop.

I'll bet you're right.  I had just seen so many pictures of ships abandoned from the now dried-up Aral Sea I presumed that was just another one.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/fjelstud/20-photos-of-the-shipwrecks-of-the-aral-sea

8 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

Columbia over 92 tons rained down over Texas, I saw it:

"Property Damage No one was injured and little property damage resulted from the tens of thousands of pieces of falling debris (see Chapter 10). A reimbursement program administered by NASA distributed approximately $50,000 to property owners who made claims resulting from falling debris or collateral damage from the search efforts. There were, however, a few close calls that emphasize the importance of selecting the ground track that re-entering Orbiters follow. A 600-pound piece of a main engine dug a six-foot-wide hole in the Fort Polk golf course, while an 800-pound main engine piece, which hit the ground at an estimated 1,400 miles per hour, dug an even larger hole nearby. Disaster was narrowly averted outside Nacogdoches when a piece of debris landed between two highly explosive natural gas tanks set just feet apart."

Skylab Orbit Decay:

I think over 100 tons but was a  controlled in the sense they started the decent early so it would have the least chance of hitting populated areas. 

I do not understand you people. Columbia was obviously a disaster. A tragic accident. It did not happen by design. China launched this craft KNOWING it had engineered no manner to control its re-entry. Controlling a safe re-entry for these spacecraft parts is not hard. There’s no reason other than neglect that this was not done. And the best retort you callously respond with is the death of our astronauts. Is this how you ride? Have you no ethic or heart? You’ll offer China a free pass on neglect citing the accidental death of American astronauts. Nice.

And yeah Skylab was a controlled descent. The way they should all be. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sputnik said:

Interesting article but the photo foreground vegetation looks like the Sonoran Desert - the only place in the world where Saguaros grow.  The ship, background, and clouds shout Photoshop.

I didn't know that the picture would have gotten such traction. Yes, it was a photoshop picture that I got off google. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• dtel locked this topic