Covid19 redux

Bosco-d-gama

1 minute ago, Coytee said:

I do, JCB 1550-B, currently in front of house with loader resting on a (pretty large) rock so support arms are out of way and I can reach into engine bay to remove/repair steering pump and replace 2 hoses.  

Have repaired parts back, now waiting to finish work so I can put back together.  (probably tomorrow or weekend if not)

Mine has a safety prop (what looks like a length of heavy wall tubing that is split longways) that I use to hold the bucket loader arm assembly up. It stays bolted to the frame when not in use. Yours didn't come with that? 

8 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Without doing the math, only picture how tall and the diameter of a 5 gallon bucket: How many cubic feet would you guess a 5 gallon bucket to hold?

(I have never, including myself, ever heard anyone get it close to right)

After guessing, do the math... It is one that is a teaser.

1 gallon = 231 cubic inches. 

You’ve done the easy work. Now, how many virus’ in 231 cubic inches? 

Nope.  I also don't see provisions for something like that.

It can be nerve wracking raising the (something like 1,500 pound?) bucket in air to work in engine bay???  No way, no thank you!  I don't trust those hoses that much even if they were to be brand new.

Also need to rebuild my steering  cylinder, seems that might actually be source of my issues and not the pump HOWEVER, I pulled pump off and could easily turn gear with fingers.  I get pump back rebuilt and now takes some real effort to turn the gear so I suspect my steering flow will be improved a bit.  The steering cylinder is the last cylinder to rebuild while I've had this in my posession (something approaching 20 years)  I've either redone them or pulled them and had them done except for this and now, my steering is getting VERY difficult, as I presume it's leaking to other side and fighting itself.

Corporate CEO's will go to where the product can be manufactured the cheapest unless there is a law that says they can't. And if they can't there must be an additional law that prevents competing products from being imported.  And that's the way it is so forget about making products in the USA unless people are willing to go back to work for fifty cents per hour with no breaks or vacations.

JJK

• Like 1

I

2 minutes ago, Coytee said:

Nope.  I also don't see provisions for something like that.

It can be nerve wracking raising the (something like 1,500 pound?) bucket in air to work in engine bay???  No way, no thank you!  I don't trust those hoses that much even if they were to be brand new.

Yes, never trust a hose....same with an extended dump truck bed: They are like a large mousetrap.

I'll take a picture of the safety prop and send it to you... I can make you one if you need / want one. They are the deal. 

11 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

I would add that it is not ‘consumer’ demand but business profit margin opportunity. How many ‘consumers’ waltz into any business and ‘ask’ for Chinese products (food products aside)?

The Chinese can build whatever quality you want, but the cost will go up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
54 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

While many of your critiques are well-founded, this statement could not be further from the truth.  Demand for Chinese products has proliferated beyond imagination - so much so, that now, we are seeing politicians talking about stepping in and interfering with China's supply of products to the US.  Consumers simply want more and more, although they will often say otherwise.  It's not much different than all the talk about boycotting Wal-Mart.  Big talk; little action.  Even though we want more and more Chinese products, our politicians are going to fix that for us.  I wonder how all that will work out.  

Does anyone have a credible reference to this rocket launch from China?

• Like 1

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, Marvel said:

The Chinese can build whatever quality you want, but the cost will go up.

And you better keep an eye on quality, it will change right under your nose. I know of 2 audio companies who deal with it regularly, and have problems at the same rate and this is just 2 I happen to find out about when questioning about back orders and production problems. 

23 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:
25 minutes ago, richieb said:

You’ve done the easy work. Now, how many virus’ in 231 cubic inches? 

I can do that.

Oh never mind, for a second I was thinking the number of illegals that can be transported in a 231cu freezer, different chart is needed to look up that one. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, dtel said:

And you better keep an eye on quality, it will change right under your nose. I know of 2 audio companies who deal with it regularly, and have problems at the same rate and this is just 2 I happen to find out about when questioning about back orders and production problems. 

Oh never mind, for a second I was thinking the number of illegals that can be transported in a 231cu freezer, different chart is needed to look up that one. 

Two, if they're small.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Does anyone have a credible reference to this rocket launch from China?

People buy what they can afford. Nobody I know goes shopping for Chinese products preferentially expecting them to be the best possible value. And it is not unusual for a Chinese product to not meet minimal expectations/standards regardless of cost. And consumers have learned the hard way that having to replace broken devices frequently is more expensive than buying better quality in the 1st place and rarely (if ever) is that a Chinese made product. Jeesh - remember the baby formula fiasco?

Here’s your reference......

https://www.popularmechanics.com/space/a32451633/china-long-march-5b-rocket-debris/

• Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, Coytee said:

I do, JCB 1550-B, currently in front of house with loader resting on a (pretty large) rock so support arms are out of way and I can reach into engine bay to remove/repair steering pump and replace 2 hoses.  

Have repaired parts back, now waiting to finish work so I can put back together.  (probably tomorrow or weekend if not)

Yeah, I remembered that you had the same brand. I have the JCB 1700. Is this one yours? Sent you a picture of the prop on mine..

For anyone who isn't familiar with safety props for hydraulic cylinders and such, there have been many people squished by loading docks, dump beds and such. Here is a picture of a pair in use. 

p14927239621322.jpg.0dd46fb651e8c57ea0904d120020c667.jpg

1 minute ago, Skelt said:

Forgot about the baby formula.

But I remember the drywall,  pet food and the lead based painted toys that was given away with a happy meal

Don't forget the flooring laced with formaldehyde.

• Like 1

• dtel locked this topic