Covid19 redux

Bosco-d-gama

No matter what manufacturing starts up again in the U.S., I dont see how they will not follow the use of the same or similar materials that is currently being used in China. They will almost have to to be able to pay an American a decent wage and still stay afloat with a ho-hum profit.    We have been in the disposable market now for at least 30 years. If you think that new American manu'd Whirlpool clothes washer will suddenly start lasting 30 years again like stuff did in the 50's and the 60s, its just wishful thinking.  There is no more over engineering allowed....who makes money from that unless areas where it is truly required like Airlines. (No pun intended there)

Corporations are much richer now from the cheap Chinese labor and all the US citizens have more money from it as well.  You better believe that China worker loves his job and he knows there is a few million people standing behind him or her just waiting to take their place when her/she screws up.  Do you know why so many US dentists get their gold inlays from China? Because they are spot on accurate unlike so many of the US labs work done here in the states.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Marvel said:

The Chinese can build whatever quality you want, but the cost will go up.

That’s so true. Look at the hifi market for example where this group of people tend to accept nothing but the best in overall quality, fit/finish. Early Chinese amps left a lot to be desired whereas today amps can stand among giants. And yep, that quality is reflected in the price. But shoppers in general for non specific specialized products just want it, lots of it, cheap. 

• Like 1

Americans are our own worst enemies. We ***** at $4/gasoline, but love the energy company returns in the 401. We love $2/gasoline, but ***** the energy company with puny 401 gains. We ***** Big Pharma making all products in China but love it when Pfizer pumps up their retirement plan. Our economy/retirements are truly living out Catch 22 in real time —

24 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Is this one yours? Sent you a picture of the prop on mine..

That was awesome.  Imagine taking that down the drag strip....  lower the rear bucket and in a matter of 4.3215 seconds, you have completely dug your ditch!

No, mine is more like a prissy ballerina....

JCB.JPG

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Of course, we all hate to admit that not ALL products made here are the best made products. They may be made in England, France, Italy, Brazil, etc.

Agreed. I have a small collection of boots and shoes. Most are European. Some U.S.A. Let me go count...

Three Made in Italy (Zamberlan, LaSportiva ,Aku)

Three Made in Romainia (Scarpa, Garmont, Bostonian)

Two Made in Germany (Lowa, Hanwag)

Three Made in  U.S.A. (Danner, Johnston & Murphy, Redwing)

Zero Asian

Just bought a Made in the U.S.A. pair for work direct from the manufacturer, Danner, and the fit and finish was not up to my usual standards. Going back. My fault for choosing a "new" style on deep discount. Obvious cost cutting was involved although the MSRP was just under $400. I don't expect to see this model around again. Free shipping, free returns, bad reviews. 

So instead of new boots I will be sending my 3 year old pair of work boots directly to Danner, where they will do the following 

Replace midsole

Replace outsole

Replace shank

Replace heal counter

Replace insole/insert

Repair hardware

Repair stiching

Recondition leather laces

I could get the liners replaced, but do not want to

Can you think of another company offering this kind of service and quality on consumer items?  I can.

Occidental leather is doing the same thing with tool bags I use for work. I still use the bags I bought in 2006. Sent in for repair a couple of time now. They are still under warranty.

Moral of the story is do your research. Share your stories. Word of mouth. The world is full of full of cheap garbage. It's funny when your friend steps in dog S!%T but not funny when he gets back in the truck with you, so really it better to help each other out. The consumer goods marketing department won't help you one bit.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, billybob said:

Based on the results, the Chinese rocket should not have been launched. It is these incidents that can become accidents launching us into yet another fracass with China.

they copy -then they spend tons of money in experiments to reach the reliability  -

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

I didn't know that the picture would have gotten such traction. Yes, it was a photoshop picture that I got off google. 

the eye of a photographer -----you got , in spades -----I bet you take real nice pictures

• Moderators
1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:
1 hour ago, Skelt said:

Forgot about the baby formula.

But I remember the drywall,  pet food and the lead based painted toys that was given away with a happy meal

Don't forget the flooring laced with formaldehyde.

Yes the drywall, after Katrina there was shortage so someone imported Chinese drywall. About a year later the first people to use it started having problems, not in the drywall failing so much as it out gassing. It was putting out some chemical to the extent it was corroding the metal pipes in the walls and affecting electrical wires. It was so bad every bit in every house had to be replaced and in many all of the plumbing and some wiring also had to be replaced. . So these people and it was MANY had to rebuild there houses twice in a few years and many times it was worse then the first time.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, billybob said:

If the projected numbers die by 

August, it will be nearly double

who have already died.

150k deaths is the expected number , let's say 200k  just to be more realistic -but  a vaccine cure is in the works , ASAP -PLEASE

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, dtel said:

someone imported Chinese drywall.

dont be fooled ----- quality drywall exists in CHINA , but the exports to the USA is perhaps the cheapest stuff anywhere

Forget the dry goods, electronics and Circus trinkets China provides us.   Drugs coming back to the US are the number one priority here.   BUT, possibly the biggest threat we have that myself and most other people cant wrap their brain around is Quantum Computing and AI.  China is leading this area and with their lack of Ethics and public noted middle fingers to the world, its just a matter of time before before they play evil on a level that none of us can comprehend or even imagine.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, richieb said:

Americans are our own worst enemies. We ***** at $4/gasoline, but love the energy company returns in the 401. We love $2/gasoline, but ***** the energy company with puny 401 gains. We ***** Big Pharma making all products in China but love it when Pfizer pumps up their retirement plan. Our economy/retirements are truly living out Catch 22 in real time —

I have been saying something similar to this for a long time. We want healthy 401s, so they ax jobs to make the company more profitable. That works until we have no jobs to pay into the 401. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, 000 said:

they copy -then they spend tons of money in experiments to reach the reliability they seek to be on PAR - and until then , accidents are going to happen , in any field -

Yes they copy. Their rocket has alot of the Russian look about it.

They Ruskies copied a B-29 of ours back in the day. Became one of their longer distance heavy bomber at the title.

The field speaking to here is rocketry. If one were conspiracy minded, it is a short jump to say they launched the craft with intention of behavior that was wreckless, without care.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Max2 said:

Forget the dry goods, electronics and Circus trinkets China provides us.   Drugs coming back to the US are the number one priority here.   BUT, possibly the biggest threat we have that myself and most other people cant wrap their brain around is Quantum Computing and AI.  China is leading this area and with their lack of Ethics and public noted middle fingers to the world, its just a matter of time before before they play evil on a level that none of us can comprehend or even imagine.

I will bet dollar to donut that when all is said and done and things are somewhat “normal” again nothing changes in Big Pharma. Politics will prevail, lobbyists will take their payola and the news cycle will go to the next big thing. And drugs will continue their trips from our friends abroad - 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, 000 said:

150k deaths is the expected number , let's say 200k  just to be more realistic -but  a vaccine cure is in the works , ASAP -PLEASE

There will be no "cure" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cure

There will be "more likely than not" a vaccine within the time frame spoken about within this thread.

Even smallpox, the only disease to ever be completely eradicated, has no "cure"

For Covid-19,  a vaccine with an expected effective efficacy rate of 40% will be given to millions of people, eventually hundreds of millions and finally billions over the course of several years. This vaccine will "teach" the body to develop and manufacture its own antibodies to fight off the Covid-19 virus. The goal here of course is to save lives and keep people from being sick. What will have a greater effect worldwide will be the slowing down of the transmission rate by forcing the Covid-19 virus into kind of a dead-end by having part of the population either immune or having reduced symptoms. This will keep ICU's and medical supplies from being overwhelmed. In some areas the virus will continue to spread, cause illness, cause death. This is not unlike the common flu we have now. It will continue to circulate the globe, and its human population for the long term future. Hundreds of years actually. Exactly like the H1N1 virus circa 1918, in all of its various strains, that we still inoculate for today, that still continues to cause illness and death, just not as many as when it first arrived in humans.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, billybob said:

they launched the craft with intention of behavior that was wreckless, without care.

forget any rules , ethics , humanity , etc , they dont care ----

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, 314carpenter said:

There will be no "cure"

yes , there will be a cure ,and the cure may help other diseases as well ,  but we have to be patient 

• dtel locked this topic