Covid19 redux

Bosco-d-gama

31 minutes ago, 000 said:

forget any rules , ethics , humanity , etc , they will rule the world , sooner or later , what we are seeing now , is their way to tell us , they are no 1 - and their message , stop us if you can

Remember, China is a nation of “only children” that have been mostly raised (read spoiled) by their grandparents as both parents worked.  When I was working there, even as far back as far as 2004, they were referring to the phenomenon as the new “Princeling Syndrome” and they (at least the officials that I knew) were truly concerned about what it would mean for Chinese society going forward.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sputnik said:

When I was working there, even as far back as far as 2004, they were referring to the phenomenon as the “Princeling Syndrome”

in the eighties , the province of Guangdong  was farmland ,and Honk kong was a financial Hub ,  Guangzhou now has container ships traffic similar to our highways --

3 hours ago, RANDYH said:

in the eighties , the province of Guangdong  was farmland ,and Honk kong was a financial Hub ,  Guangzhou now has container ships traffic similar to our highways --

I’d say even more than ours.  Their highways, even in the rural provinces, are bigger and newer than ours.  They have been pragmatically making huge investments in infrastructure.  Back when I was there, it was a boom time for engineering and construction as government agencies similar to our DOT were being privatized into the hands of the well connected.  Similar to the oil production in Russia.

[added]. An Australian engineer that I met in the Guizhou Province, at the largest smelter (aluminum) that I’ve ever seen made the casual comment that “these Chinese don’t do anything an a small scale, eh mate”

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, sputnik said:

I’d say even more than ours.  Their highways, even in the rural provinces, are bigger

dont forget the new high speed rail across China and their train into Tibet ----------in the 70's -80's to reach Lhassa ,  it took us weeks , and we had to make it in by fall and exit in the spring- 

• Like 1

China is pretty heavily invested in wind turbine technology, too. The KNOW they need to get off of coal. The whole world is breathing better after the country was shut down for a while.

My wife and I (actually, before we married), took a ferry to Macau from HK, and spent a few days. Had a wonderful time. Crossed to the mainland, and to a bus back to Dongguan or Shenzhen to catch the train up to Nanchang, where she was teaching. The highway could have been anywhere in the US. Green signs with white lettering... much the same, except the roads were in great shape and the signs were in English and Chinese.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Marvel said:

China is pretty heavily invested in wind turbine technology, too. The KNOW they need to get off of coal. The whole world is breathing better after the country was shut down for a while.

My wife and I (actually, before we married), took a ferry to Macau from HK, and spent a few days. Had a wonderful time. Crossed to the mainland, and to a bus back to Dongguan or Shenzhen to catch the train up to Nanchang, where she was teaching. The highway could have been anywhere in the US. Green signs with white lettering... much the same, except the roads were in great shape and the signs were in English and Chinese.

I have heard the tolls to use China's highways are quite high.

2 hours ago, Max2 said:

Forget the dry goods, electronics and Circus trinkets China provides us.   Drugs coming back to the US are the number one priority here.   BUT, possibly the biggest threat we have that myself and most other people cant wrap their brain around is Quantum Computing and AI.  China is leading this area and with their lack of Ethics and public noted middle fingers to the world, its just a matter of time before before they play evil on a level that none of us can comprehend or even imagine.

I thought we were even in the Quantum Computing race. AI is anybody's guess. CBS 60 minutes had a great episode about quantum computing about a year ago involving MIT and Berkely with cyro genically cooled 6 foot cubes down toward absolute zero with a 500K custom made chip. They were using 8 states of charges per one single photon. These guys are a lot smarter than I am because they have to understand Quantum Physics.

JJK

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JJkizak said:

I thought we were even in the Quantum Computing race. AI is anybody's guess. CBS 60 minutes had a great episode about quantum computing about a year ago involving MIT and Berkely with cyro genically cooled 6 foot cubes down toward absolute zero with a 500K chip custom made chip. They were using 8 states of charges per one single photon. These guys are a lot smarter than I am.

JJK

Except for the best they can do is pretty trivial.  If you bought one today, it would barely be as useful as an abacus.

5 hours ago, Skelt said:

Forgot about the baby formula.

But I remember the drywall,  pet food and the lead based painted toys that was given away with a happy meal

Who ordered the lead painted toys.

images.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, dtel said:

Yes the drywall, after Katrina there was shortage so someone imported Chinese drywall. About a year later the first people to use it started having problems, not in the drywall failing so much as it out gassing. It was putting out some chemical to the extent it was corroding the metal pipes in the walls and affecting electrical wires. It was so bad every bit in every house had to be replaced and in many all of the plumbing and some wiring also had to be replaced. . So these people and it was MANY had to rebuild there houses twice in a few years and many times it was worse then the first time.

The largest gypsum quarry in the world is located in Nova Scotia and is owned by National Gypsum.

East coast of Canada is a lot closer to 'Hurricane Alley' than China.

Maybe they just wanted the 'less expensive' stuff.

• Like 1

• dtel locked this topic