Covid19 redux

Bosco-d-gama

50 minutes ago, RANDYH said:

the front line workers will have to face PTSD issues , sooner or later , the emotional toll will be very high

https://medicalfuturist.com/will-medical-workers-deal-with-ptsd-after-covid-19/

None of the healthcare workers in these mega-covid19-centers have ever experienced death at these levels. They have never dealt with infectious disease at this extreme. They will be wounded from the experience to varying degrees.

• Like 2

• Moderators
4 hours ago, tube fanatic said:

I'm concerned about the push for a "fast tracked" vaccine the long term effects of which will not manifest for many years.  And, then there's the possibility of getting a potentially organ damaging  vaccine acquired condition (I've read articles about vaccine acquired poliomyelitis, for example).  There's also still no definitive information about whether having a naturally acquired infection will provide long term immunity.  If that's the case, a vaccine won't be of much use anyway.

Given that this virus is already mutating, trying to control exposure to it is almost a lost cause in my opinion.  Then there's the influence of non-medical folks like Gates who, in one interview which I watched, suggested that it will be necessary to vaccinate virtually every human on the planet for coronavirus.  It makes me wonder if there's another agenda going on which the media doesn't want to talk about.

Maynard

From what I have read the only people with an agenda are the anti-vaxxers.

The oral vaccine given in Africa and Asia does result in a rare occurrences of vaccine derived polio (as opposed to wild). How rare? Aapproximately 1 in every 2.5 million doses administered. 

They don't give that live virus oral vaccine is the US or Europe, we get the shot with the dead virus.

Since the Cutter Incident in the mid 50s all vaccines in US are heavily regulated, controled and all are subject to vigorous study and review prior to approval.

Every incident in the US suspected of being connected to a vaccine can be reported to the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System, by anyone. Family, physician, etc.. Every major incident reported is independently investigated. 

The only thing I'm concerned with is politics becoming intertwined in the studies, review process and approval. As long as that doesn't occur I will be first in line (easy for me to say, EMS, hospital health care professionals, first responders usually get those vaccines a couple of weeks up to months, before the rest of us, so not really the front of the line).

Travis

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

None of the healthcare workers in these mega-covid19-centers have ever experienced death at these levels.-

100%   psychological help will be needed asap  for all health workers , the earlier , the better -

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

Did you read the article or the headline?

About 1/2 the article is about being a little leery of the "study."

"Scientists who looked at the study at Newsweek's request said that the analysis is unconventional and uses techniques that are unproven. They cautioned against drawing conclusions until more research can corroborate the analysis."

Then they mention it hadn't been peer reviewed.

The conclusion is "it's possible"?

35 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Did you read the article or the headline?

About 1/2 the article is about being a little leery of the "study."

"Scientists who looked at the study at Newsweek's request said that the analysis is unconventional and uses techniques that are unproven. They cautioned against drawing conclusions until more research can corroborate the analysis."

Then they mention it hadn't been peer reviewed.

The conclusion is "it's possible"?

The interesting part of the work is their assertion that the covid19 virus is quite ‘human adapted’ suggesting that a natural pathway would or could be less ‘human adapted’. It is as though they think the virus was weaponized. The history of the outbreak would support circumstances allowed to proceed with a purpose, perchance to infect the planet with this contagion. Ugly business. But Newsweek is no tabloid.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JonathanBrown said:

Many want to return to work, and some have already returned, only what price will have to pay for it ...

They are already paying....  Nobody thinks about the side effects of the shutdown.  Poverty and stress kills not to name the millions that don't get diagnosed or treatments for ailments that can kill them.  That is not to mention the fact that you are seeing food shortages and everything else along with you just can't continue to print money til we have a vaccine.  Tax revenue required.

About 70% of deaths are older working age.  Deaths in working age are more due to diabetes and other ailments.  Those are the groups that should be focused on and let the rest go back to work.  It is not prudent to think we can go on this way for another 6 months.

To the plus side, maybe this will be a wake up call (as I hope New Orleans will be) that people need to take better care of themselves since they may pay the consequences sooner than later. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

The interesting part of the work is their assertion that the covid19 virus is quite ‘human adapted’ suggesting that a natural pathway would or could be less ‘human adapted’. It is as though they think the virus was weaponized. The history of the outbreak would support circumstances allowed to proceed with a purpose, perchance to infect the planet with this contagion. Ugly business. But Newsweek is no tabloid.

So people are finally taking off their rose colored glasses.  What do they all think that lab did?  Just dumb to ignore because China denies it, or have they denied that part.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tube fanatic said:

In my opinion we are going to see this scenario played out for coronavirus which may explain why Plaquenil seems to have fallen into “disfavor” :

https://www.rollcall.com/2019/05/16/ocasio-cortez-grills-ceo-of-pharma-company-making-billions-on-government-patented-hiv-drug/

Maynard

Yes, goes from 50 cents to 50 dollars.  BUT, everything is going toward T-Cells so HIV and Cancer drugs seem to be the most promissing.

10 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

From what I have read the only people with an agenda are the anti-vaxxers.

The oral vaccine given in Africa and Asia does result in a rare occurrences of vaccine derived polio (as opposed to wild). How rare? Aapproximately 1 in every 2.5 million doses administered. 

They don't give that live virus oral vaccine is the US or Europe, we get the shot with the dead virus.

Since the Cutter Incident in the mid 50s all vaccines in US are heavily regulated, controled and all are subject to vigorous study and review prior to approval.

Every incident in the US suspected of being connected to a vaccine can be reported to the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System, by anyone. Family, physician, etc.. Every major incident reported is independently investigated. 

The only thing I'm concerned with is politics becoming intertwined in the studies, review process and approval. As long as that doesn't occur I will be first in line (easy for me to say, EMS, hospital health care professionals, first responders usually get those vaccines a couple of weeks up to months, before the rest of us, so not really the front of the line).

Travis

Travis since you seem to have read up on this did Polio have a rapid mutation potential or did this remain the same over time so an effective vaccine could work over time. My understanding of flu shots is that they are attempts to fight what they think will be the next new strain of virus and the efficacy varies from year to year. And you have to get them every year it seems so not really a vaccine like I think of the one for Polio being. How are they ever going to have a true vaccine for wuhan that will accomodate mutation?

13 minutes ago, Dave A said:

...did Polio have a rapid mutation potential or did this remain the same over time so an effective vaccine could work over time.

From what I have read, the polio virus has been rather stable, although the outbreak in the Congo in 2010  had mutated enough that there was a problem.

2 minutes ago, Sancho Panza said:

ScamWow mask is out now, for those who fell for this Scam, Wow.

Speaking of masks on a humorous note. I figure the way to end mask wearing is to pass out a bunch with Trump and the American flag on there and get Trump to endorse them. The media will have to start saying don't wear masks then.

• Like 1

Read this and then think: Why are that side of the polit-bureau trying to destroy our economy. Isn't this how communism has always started in the past?

A Million People died fifty years ago without a whimper from the swamps of southern Maryland.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/16/why-life-went-on-as-normal-during-the-killer-pandemic-of-1969/

13 hours ago, Dave A said:

[Removed, political]

Another politician doing a shitty thing is not news, not anymore.

Here in Ohio, it hit three prisons pretty hard. So, the real take is that when you don't or can't employ distancing or mitigation measures, expect this thing to do a lot of damage in short order. 

"Do you see any real fear in their actions that would exist if they really thought this was a real pandemic?"

Yes Dave, it's a hoax, it's all make believe.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Deang said:

yes Dave, it's a hoax, it's all make believe.

no -it's a mess , and the errors are piling up , had they not muzzled Dr Fauci  and implemented a National health strategy  , across all USA States ,by setting up a Governors meeting with the WH at the onset  and acted in 1 United Front ,  the results may have been very different -

1 hour ago, Dave A said:

Speaking of masks on a humorous note. I figure the way to end mask wearing is to pass out a bunch with Trump and the American flag on there and get Trump to endorse them. The media will have to start saying don't wear masks then.

Make it a MAGA mask - guaranteed to be a non-starter. Surprised it hasn’t been done yet  —

• dtel locked this topic