Covid19 redux

Bosco-d-gama

9 minutes ago, pzannucci said:

No Z-Pak.  That is an antibiotic that you don't want to take.  Just the zinc with it.

Reading your posts makes me realize , that you are very well informed about  medical - nutritional - pharmaceutical  matters , am I wrong to think that

• Like 1

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Dave A said:

Travis since you seem to have read up on this did Polio have a rapid mutation potential or did this remain the same over time so an effective vaccine could work over time. My understanding of flu shots is that they are attempts to fight what they think will be the next new strain of virus and the efficacy varies from year to year. And you have to get them every year it seems so not really a vaccine like I think of the one for Polio being. How are they ever going to have a true vaccine for wuhan that will accomodate mutation?

Three strains of polio. Two have been eradicated. One left, two countries.

They are going to develop a vaccine like with most other types of viruses. They start with the base one. SARS-CoV-2 is slow mutating and the changes are mild. Different RNA in one or two locations, typically, all extremely close to base strain.  What the experts say is that the strains are so similar now to the initial sequence that there isn't a reason to think the changes will not interfere effectiveness of the vaccine.  

This is unlike flu type viruses which mutate fast, which is why you need to get an annual shot for flu.

So fortunately, slow mutating with minor changes are the reasons that there is high optimism for an effective vaccine. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

Hopefully it's passive.   I'll have to watch the video I suppose.

I just watched a bit of the live show. Something tells me this one is really going to be worth your time. @dwilawyer pinned it on the forum earlier.

It would be so nice to chatter about Klipsch news there as much as we do about covid here.

• Like 1

• Moderators
9 hours ago, JohnJ said:

[That was personal, over the line]

Would you be decent enough to tell my why?

It was factual with one snide comment that isn't kosher from you tolerant folks.

Only mentioned that person because my post followed his and mine partially backed up his beside being a generalized statement about the subject here.

Um, Dimwitted, but now I see you said it was directed at him. I read them in context, so if his was political, your response is probably going to take on a bit of politics by association. 

In hindsight, probably wouldn't have changed it if I wasn't in a rush at the time. I apologize.

• Confused 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

I know what I meant my post to be about. I made the mistake (per you) of making it sound too much like an accolade for somebody who actually did a good job or something weird like that. My bad. For my punishment I will listen to 3 hours of Barry Manilow.🤮🤮

As I mentioned earlier, I was wrong about that post, and I restored it. I apologize for not taking the time to go back and re-read what you had posted after you raised a legitimate question. I relied on my memory as to what your post was and I know better than to do that.

Guess I have 3 hours of Barry to listen to.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, 314carpenter said:

I just watched a bit of the live show. Something tells me this one is really going to be worth your time. @dwilawyer pinned it on the forum earlier.

It would be so nice to chatter about Klipsch news there as much as we do about covid here.

I started watching it but couldn't get into it.  Guess I'll wait on a press release.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Um, Dimwitted, but now I see you said it was directed at him. I read them in context, so if his was political, your response is probably going to take on a bit of politics by association. 

In hindsight, probably wouldn't have changed it if I wasn't in a rush at the time. I apologize.

I stated specifically it was not directed at Dean. but to the swamp in northern Virginia. I loathe both cliques up there! & yep they aren't too bright!

@Deang sorry if you thought it was towards you. Thought I was clear.

PO'd until @dwilawyer responded to my query.

If it is ok I'll repeat the meat of that post. In 1969 apparently a million people died from a pandemic.

Don't know for sure, I was 6. Some insist I'm still 12.

Business owners didn't go bankrupt over it. Stated in the article if you read it, or if common sense is used, the wuhan bug could be worse.... it isn't over yet... or at all even.

I like to look at different angles, opinions of an event or subject.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/16/why-life-went-on-as-normal-during-the-killer-pandemic-of-1969/

Won't step in this sh...  thread again. Capisce?

53 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

As I mentioned earlier, I was wrong about that post, and I restored it. I apologize for not taking the time to go back and re-read what you had posted after you raised a legitimate question. I relied on my memory as to what your post was and I know better than to do that.

Guess I have 3 hours of Barry to listen to.

You gotta admit - Barry had a great head of hair back in the day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
47 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

I stated specifically it was not directed at Dean. but to the swamp in northern Virginia. I loathe both cliques up there! & yep they aren't too bright!

If it is ok I'll repeat the meat of that post. In 1969 apparently a million people died from a pandemic.

Business owners didn't go bankrupt over it. Stated in the article if you read it, or if common sense is used, the wuhan bug could be worse.... it isn't over yet... or at all even.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/16/why-life-went-on-as-normal-during-the-killer-pandemic-of-1969/

Well let's get the sequence correct..

The post I changed had nothing to do with your Hong Kong flu post. It's there in all of it's glory, unchanged. 

Some time later, hours maybe, Dean made a post that was political mentioning a former elected official (which has since been deleted) Your response (which I changed and commented was "personal and over the line"") was:

"Let's see, they destroyed the evidence. Blocked wuhan people from going anywhere else in china but let the go all over the world. Don't believe that and you are cherry picking your facts. That's dimwitted. Not talking to you @Deang directly, heard what you're saying.."

I stopped at "dimwitted" and made the change. What I was trying to say above, If I had read the last sentence I probably wouldn't have changed it. It didn't help matters much by me putting in my response above that "it was" directed at Dean, when I meant to say "it wasn't." (I fixed that up above too).

Again, apologize for the confusion, I should have read the last sentence. 

O for 2 today.

• Thanks 1

:lol:

The life and work of a Klipsch mod!

Didn't know it was back up and you've got me with my ah... ahh ...... 

Looks like I shouldn't have thrown in that "directly" and it would have been clear.

I can try to finish one ten oz mug before I log in again!

Could we take this inside... to the barber shop, my fave Italian Restaurant or the used record store? 

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

I never touched it, 

3 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Could we take this inside... to the barber shop, my fave Italian Restaurant or the used record store? 

My preference would be to get a hair cut, while drinking beer where they have a used record store connected.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

The Hong Kong flu cycled through the world 2 seasons in a row and killed a total of 1,000,000 world wide over a 2 year period. It killed 100,000 Americans during the same time frame. Also they had a vaccine available for this flu strain 4 months after it 1st appeared. While serious the Hong Kong flu did not progress as severely as covid19 has so far. Covid19 has taken 90,000 American lives in 3 months time. So the answer to your question is that it was not ravaging a completely vulnerable populace as covid19 is demonstrating. Still I think that we can now manage to deal with covid19 w/o the huge lockdowns. We understand more about the virus and how it can be managed. But everyone must remain ‘on duty’. Covid19 is a very dangerous contagion and as of yet there are no vaccines available.

• Like 3

Anybody concerned that the new vaccine trial was developed at Moderna, and that the newly appointed czar of the super-speedy covid vaccine program, Moncef Slaou, was their CEO until he got the appointment?

He still has $10 Million in stock options in Moderna. Their stock has skyrocketed since their trial last week.

Yet another example of the revolving door between government entities (FDA, USDA, DOI, EPA, etc) and high level corporate positions in associated business areas.

Cronyism at its finest. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

Still I think that we can now manage to deal with covid19 w/o the huge lockdowns. We understand more about the virus and how it can be managed. But everyone must remain ‘on duty’. Covid19 is a very dangerous contagion and as of yet there are no vaccines available.

Setting aside individual behavior, societal reformation, and political actions, I see the #1 difference in the worlds response from 68-69 Hong Kong Flu and Covid-19 being the effectiviness of communication to the public of the pandemic at large. One sure thing I think we could all agree on here is that we certainly succeeded in getting everyone's attention this time around.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnJ said:

2 hours ago, JohnJ said:

:lol:

The life and work of a Klipsch mod!

Looks like I shouldn't have thrown in that "directly" and it would have been clear.

I can try to finish one ten oz mug before I log in again!

Umm, yeah, not again.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Deang said:

Anybody concerned that the new vaccine trial was developed at Moderna, and that the newly appointed czar of the super-speedy covid vaccine program, Moncef Slaou, was their CEO until he got the appointment?

He still has $10 Million in stock options in Moderna. Their stock has skyrocketed since their trial last week.

Yet another example of the revolving door between government entities (FDA, USDA, DOI, EPA, etc) and high level corporate positions in associated business areas.

Cronyism at its finest. 

I have four limbs, inject them all.  I'm a trusting person.

Hopefully we have an "Independent" (sure) entity evaluate the efficacity and side effects across a whole spectrum of test subjects.  Oh wait, that will take 2 yrs.

• dtel locked this topic