Covid19 redux

Bosco-d-gama

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, billybob said:

@RANDYH ...did we agree that Fauci was optimistic at the hearing as regards a vaccine?

Cautiously optimistic?

No question from my point of view, especially from a guy who is very, very guarded about things that have not finished the process.

I need to post something a cardiologist friend of mine sent me who had Fauci for ID in med school, a long time ago..Basically he has always been that way.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

No question from my point of view, especially from a guy who is very, very guarded about things that have not finished the process.

I need to post something a cardiologist friend of mine sent me who had Fauci for ID in med school, a long time ago..Basically he has always been that way.

Good way to be, if your in a position like to his... cool!

12 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Didn't read all of it, but we have lots more nursing homes than they do.  I imagine concentrating the elderly together might have something to do with it.  We might also have more elderly than they do since our health care systems are better.   

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

We might also have more elderly than they do since our health care systems are better.   

Should read it all, and you are correct. Average age in Pakistan - south asia median age is 22.5.

"Pakistani children receive expanded immunization, with vaccinations against nine different diseases being administered in several rounds before the age of 18 months.

Dr Sultan agrees that this could be a factor, but cautioned against jumping to conclusions - as many have hastily concluded that use of the BCG tuberculosis vaccine gives greater resistance to COVID-19.

"People talk about how our exposure to various pathogens or patterns of immunisation change how our immune system is," he says. "All of these things are possible, but no one has been able to categorically prove it."

Another possible factor could be the environment in South Asian countries, he said, indicating that regions with higher average temperatures and levels of sunlight and its associated ultraviolet radiation have shown relatively lower death rates so far.

Researchers have, based on the data available so far, downplayed the possibility that the strains of the virus affecting South Asia are different in any meaningful way from those hitting European and other countries where death rates are higher.

"Biologically we know that the coronaviruses do not mutate that much - whenever a virus replicates, there is a bit of mutation built in, but the coronaviruses have error-proofing enzymes, so they tend to mutate less," said Dr Mahmood. "And these mutations don't always affect how virulent the virus is […] they are more useful in terms of identifying the strain than affecting its [lethality]."

Whatever the reason, all researchers that Al Jazeera spoke to said it was far too early to say categorically why certain countries were seeing lower levels of deaths from the coronavirus.

"I want to be clear: we don't know exactly what is going on right now [with the lower deaths]," said Dr Sultan."

1 hour ago, dwilawyer said:

I would agree, but it spreads the same way, and colds are down as well, isn't that confirmation that social distancing works? If colds are the same as always, isn't that information that should be factored into what can be expected going forward, or no? 

Would seem to me if colds are not down in a particular area they would want to know why. I don't know if they even track colds.

Flu should also be down, correct? They track flu very, very closely. Has anyone here looked to see if flu is down nationally,  on local level? If not why has curve flattened for Covid-19 and not flu?

If flu is down, is it down by as much as Covid-19?  

Is infectious Pneumonia down?

Flu and colds would seem to be valuable controls, but even better. If you are over 60, got a cold or a flu, wouldn't it be analogous to almost being hit by a truck? A behavior changing event? Looking both ways before you cross the street, social distancing, wearing a mask, insisting others wear a mask?

Reason I ask is for a little bit this morning it felt like I had a cold coming on, but it's just something in air today. 

Really can’t compare covid19 to the current flu season because they do vaccinate for the flu and that alone will skew the data. And they do not track colds. 

And yup a person can get paranoid about covid19. Start feeling icky and then you wonder, ‘what if’ and where was I two weeks ago? Keep in mind that spring is allergy season and if you experience seasonal allergies this is likely the culprit. Familiarize yourself with the covid19 symptoms so you can track your circumstances. Inform yourself and have a plan and take solace in the fact that we now have remdesivir to treat covid19. 

Just for further clarification. The post I made on white vinegar yesterday was not to compare vinegar to Lysol or bleach. Think we all know of them along with alcohol. Think they are go to's

of course. I ran out of Lysol spray and have been using vinegar white for any number of things. It has been in use for a long time 

If you have nothing else, please read the article down to the pertinent information on the vinegar to see what, unless you are a minute man like me, can do with bacteria, germs, viruses...etc.

Thanks!

• dtel locked this topic