Covid19 redux

Bosco-d-gama

18 minutes ago, Dave A said:

Have you ever wondered what it was like just before WW1 and WW2? We have history books with varying degrees of accuracy but I have to think there was a general decline in stability in many areas that made it ripe to happen. Way before my time but I have had WW2 ration books before. You want to see something funny show a young person one of these and they have no idea what it is.

Yes, my Dad was in Okinawa for a bit of WWII.  Told me lots of stories.  He would have been part of the 2nd D-Day against Japan if the atomic bomb didn't work.  Ask younger people what D-Day was or the impacts of the atomic bomb and I bet you get a lot of interesting answers, bet 98% aren't even close if they know anything about it.

This COVID thing is going to cause some posturing.  Just need to not light the fuse though cause there won't be any good outcome.  

Could you imagine an EMP on top of the problems we caused by the shutdown?

31 minutes ago, Dave A said:

No one I talked to knew anyone personally that had it once again

I haven't talked with them, but I know them. Seven folks where I work have tested positive. Two are staff and five are clients.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Marvel said:

I haven't talked with them, but I know them. Seven folks where I work have tested positive. Two are staff and five are clients.

Patients in assisted care? I have not talked to anyone working in those facilities around here but yes if anyone would know them it would be those who work there.

18 minutes ago, Dave A said:

Say do you think UV from welding makes vitamin D too? I ought to be safe.

20 minutes without a shirt on doing arc welding can give you a nice sun burn.  Ask me how I know... Real safe...🙃

Oh maybe it was an overdose of vitamin D?

40 minutes ago, Dave A said:

Patients in assisted care? I have not talked to anyone working in those facilities around here but yes if anyone would know them it would be those who work there.

It's a group home, with eight clients, dementia, developmental or physical disabilities. Before the lockdown, the clients would come and be in our center during the day, for activities and care and to be with other friends. My wife was supervisor over a room with mostly dementia related clients. She's had about five pass away since she stated working here 8 years ago. Two had cancer, most simply got old and due to their physical or intellectual disability, their bodies finally gave out. It's rough. I don't know how hospice folks do it.

Although predictable virus caused health concerns have shifted to virus caused political concerns. Our great legislature 😂 just put in a grueling (poor babies) 22 hour session voting to limit what the governor can implement moving forward. Imagine that - a red legislature wants to limit what a blue governor can/cannot do. These dumb assses can’t get out of their own way, nationwide, blue red and everything in between. 

• Sad 1

• Moderators
59 minutes ago, pzannucci said:

20 minutes without a shirt on doing arc welding can give you a nice sun burn.  Ask me how I know... Real safe...🙃

Oh maybe it was an overdose of vitamin D?

You must have been very, very young, you don't typically rash decisions (no pun intended).

Do welders have to wear clothing that have a certain level of SPF in addition to some flame protection? One I have see have gloves that go up to elbows or beyond but not much beyond that.

2 minutes ago, richieb said:

Although predictable virus caused health concerns have shifted to virus caused political concerns. Our great legislature 😂 just put in a grueling (poor babies) 22 hour session voting to limit what the governor can implement moving forward. Imagine that - a red legislature wants to limit what a blue governor can/cannot do. These dumb assses can’t get out of their own way, nationwide, blue red and everything in between. 

As I stated 4 hrs ago.  Our govt and politics has proved to be in a sad state.

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Deang said:

True, they could just grow into giant spheres with spikes that roll across the wilderness like tumbleweeds.

A very well adapted plant. Dies off in summer, winds come, blow them hundreds of miles across West Texas, stop and pop up again in Spring. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

You must have been very, very young, you don't typically rash decisions (no pun intended).

Do welders have to wear clothing that have a certain level of SPF in addition to some flame protection? One I have see have gloves that go up to elbows or beyond but not much beyond that.

Should be covering and thick, flame protection that UV doesn't penetrate.  It definitely doesn't hurt.  When those molten metal blobs land on your hands or your sneakers and burn through, It isn't a good day.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Dave A said:

side benefit to all this is that young people who are seeing their futures thrown away for nothing are now paying attention to those who want to shut down the USA and asking why.

There all at the beach asking "hey what's your name, where are you from?"

4 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

There all at the beach asking "hey what's your name, where are you from?"

Waiting for the next govt stimulus check.  The others are home scared to death trying to get in touch with the therapists.

The old people are just stuck home letting their pre-existing medical conditions get so bad they have no recourse.

• Moderators
12 hours ago, billybob said:

So that appears to be the politics within medicine (the turf wars).

So this is the official position of the American College of Cardiology.

https://www.acc.org/latest-in-cardiology/articles/2020/03/27/14/00/ventricular-arrhythmia-risk-due-to-hydroxychloroquine-azithromycin-treatment-for-covid-19

If you look at the outpatient protocol it makes me wonder about the Rheumatologist in the NPR article who said he didn't really screen before giving HDQ to his patients.

So if you ask a cardiologist for a RX for HDQ he is going to laugh at you. You ask another type, "sure, how many you want? I'm running a special."

There seems to be an easy way to check this out. Go to top 10 prescribers of HDQ in 2019 in US and ask, have any of your patients contracted Covid-19? What were outcomes of those who were on HDQ before and your patients not on it? You could also ask them to give a free antibody test to all patients on HDQ to see if any were exposed but had minimal or no symptoms. You couldn't form any conclusions from that but it would get you a quick start on where to go in terms of studies. 

HDQ has indeed been around a long time, the Tisdale risk assessment chart was developed in early 2000s to reduce the rare occurance of people dying from heart failure when taking for conditions like lupus.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Some of you don't like CNN, but this is interesting.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/22/health/us-coronavirus-friday/index.html

Not really unfortunately.  This is a politics play.  Read all the other reports and dr's that have used it perspectives.  Same as a number of other posts with links.

As the previous post, a politics turf war.  May the treatment that makes the most money (not for us) and fits the narrative win.

• dtel locked this topic