Covid19 redux

Bosco-d-gama

1 minute ago, Marvel said:

You think the Lancet is making a politics play?

There are currently studies underway but if you read a number of the articles, they are having problems trying to get people for the studies cause everyone has scared them to death.  Too much talk of killing you with a medication that has been used for 65 yrs.  If it is used for RA, then it is definitely being used for people who have other auto-immune disorders like Scleroderma which destroys your organs slowly, including your heart.  The media has hyped the side effects up so much, it will be hard to get the real clinical trials completed.

• Like 1

So the Lancet used info across multiple continents (96 thousand plus people, over 14 thousand who were treated with HQ), and made adjustments for different risk factors, and come up with the results. I understand you can lie with stats. Here is the Lancet article on their data crunching:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31180-6/fulltext

1 minute ago, Marvel said:

So the Lancet used info across multiple continents (96 thousand plus people, over 14 thousand who were treated with HQ), and made adjustments for different risk factors, and come up with the results. I understand you can lie with stats. Here is the Lancet article on their data crunching:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31180-6/fulltext

I understand but this was an observational study.  Would be nice to see a real clinical trial across ages and target levels of infections.  That is what is currently proposed and needs to be done.

What happened to all those studies that showed it worked?

Hospitalizations...  If you live in the US, they won't test you until you are almost going to the hospital.  Little late for the primary use.  

Too much politics.  

Lancet may think this is great but it is not a broad spectrum, or at least not from a glance at the data.

• Like 1

Got to thinking about the discomforts of some PPE. Spent a lot of years in the oilfield, none of which was more uncomfortable than the last year when fire retardant clothing was required on most west Texas rigs. Usually brand new, stiff, long sleeved and worn over most of your regular clothing. In the summer, I've worn these in 115 degree direct west Texas sun. How we stayed conscious is beyond me, but frequent breaks and lots of water were necessary. Worse, no whining or signs of discomfort allowed in the "he man" environment. 

Dave

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dwilawyer said:

Do welders have to wear clothing that have a certain level of SPF in addition to some flame protection? One I have see have gloves that go up to elbows or beyond but not much beyond that.

It seems that it is time dependent, just like exposure to the Sun. To spot weld something together, no worries. More than a few minutes, a welder's jacket protects well enough. I don't really like to weld, but I have, for miles, literally. I have had to do jobs where I welded for a few days and I protect myself from top to bottom with a large fan to my back for cooling me and blowing the smoke away. If light can get it (V neck shirt, thin pants, etc) that person will regret it. Unlike a Sun burn, a weld burn doesn't drift into a tan. 

• Like 3

My ex brother-in-law was cutting 1/2" steel plate with a torch, when a remnant fell into his jeans. His scar is about two feet long. His co workers said that he was the best dancer in the company.

SSH

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mallette said:

Got to thinking about the discomforts of some PPE. Spent a lot of years in the oilfield, none of which was more uncomfortable than the last year when fire retardant clothing was required on most west Texas rigs. Usually brand new, stiff, long sleeved and worn over most of your regular clothing. In the summer, I've worn these in 115 degree direct west Texas sun. How we stayed conscious is beyond me, but frequent breaks and lots of water were necessary. Worse, no whining or signs of discomfort allowed in the "he man" environment. 

Dave

I am happy that the welding PPE that I have is open back, so it really does help. Someone told me that he had a job welding on the inside of a water tower tank. His welding PPE was open back...and he wasn't counting on the mirror effect of welding on the inside of a sphere. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ssh said:

My ex brother-in-law was cutting 1/2" steel plate with a torch, when a remnant fell into his jeans. His scar is about two feet long. His co workers said that he was the best dancer in the company.

SSH

I have one torch tip that is made to cut 12" thick. The thickest I have cut was 8". It is pretty loud and with lots of molten metal spray. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

There all at the beach asking "hey what's your name, where are you from?"

Did you see the picture of the beach all those people were forbidden to use in Virginia? It was flooded with people. I think this will happen everywhere this coming weekend.

3 hours ago, Marvel said:

It's a group home, with eight clients, dementia, developmental or physical disabilities. Before the lockdown, the clients would come and be in our center during the day, for activities and care and to be with other friends. My wife was supervisor over a room with mostly dementia related clients. She's had about five pass away since she stated working here 8 years ago. Two had cancer, most simply got old and due to their physical or intellectual disability, their bodies finally gave out. It's rough. I don't know how hospice folks do it.

Ground Zero for sure. Dementia and Alzheimers are two of the ugliest things out there. Mom died from Alzheimers and before she passed looked like an Auschwitz prisoner.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

You must have been very, very young, you don't typically rash decisions (no pun intended).

Do welders have to wear clothing that have a certain level of SPF in addition to some flame protection? One I have see have gloves that go up to elbows or beyond but not much beyond that.

Of course UV protection is important but generally you can get away with a pair of sleeves just to protect your arms. In hot weather lots of clothing is pretty miserable. I learned to weld in Westwego at the Avondale Shipyard in New Orleans. 105 in the shade and humid. We were required to wear long sleeves because it would keep the little burns you get from slag and metal while welding from becoming infected by preventing you from getting them to begin with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mallette said:

Dave

Probably OSHA forced conditions not one of those OSHA people would tolerate.  Years ago I had a choice to pick oilfield or learn TIG welding and food service. I chose food service.

2 hours ago, Marvel said:

You think the Lancet is making a politics play?

The work looked back at the initial treatment of covid19 patients and attempted to make some sense of the outcomes relative to the application of chloroquine. Keep in mind that they looked at 10’s of thousands of cases from around the globe whose overall care varied a great deal. Essentially they tried to draw conclusive evidence from an uncontrolled study. There are new studies underway that will allow for more pertinent conclusions as they are devised using standardized experimental methods. This Lancet study showing ill effects is not much more accurate than Chinese studies showing positive outcomes. It is ‘sloppy’ data with loads of statistical cleanup methods applied.

That said - it is clear that chloroquine is no covid19 ‘silver bullet’. If it was we’d certainly see loads of proof to that effect.

• Like 2

Since I am just too lazy to read every damned post in this super-long thread, where I MIGHT just find this answer, my Question IS:  Has anybody on the forum actually HAD the COVID-19 virus, yet?

Because I think I had it!...way back in December!  And if what I had WAS IT, then my case almost killed my arse! 

I dunno about the rest of you, but,  for myself, when I  get to the point of praying "OK, Lord, either kill me or cure me, but I need some relief from this crap, one way or another!"...my arse is in a  world of hurt!

I will be getting the anti-body blood serum test next week!  Then I will know for sure!

EDIT:  Just for a little context and to keep everybody from thinking I'm nutso...I was in the Philippines at the time (arrived there 13 Dec, departed on Jan 12!), and surrounded by hundreds of Chinese and Korean tourists every day there!...many of those tourists were wearing masks. too!  A couple of days after I left some sick Chinese tourists went to the hospital there, and got tested for it, but returned to China before the test results came in...both positive!  So...if you have doubts about my possible exposure...now you know!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Marvel said:

Brix loves this article because it quantifies the comorbidities.  Other information is still out and being evaluated.

TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF!!!!   

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

Since I am just too lazy to read every damned post in this super-long thread, where I MIGHT just find this answer, my Question IS:  Has anybody on the forum actually HAD the COVID-19 virus, yet?

Because I think I had it!...way back in December!  And if what I had WAS IT, then my case almost killed my arse! 

I dunno about the rest of you, but,  for myself, when I  get to the point of praying "OK, Lord, either kill me or cure me, but I need some relief from this crap, one way or another!"...my arse is in a  world of hurt!

I will be getting the anti-body blood serum test next week!  Then I will know for sure!

@Rudy81 has... and some others Will be interested to see your results along with others here.

12 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

The work looked back at the initial treatment of covid19 patients and attempted to make some sense of the outcomes relative to the application of chloroquine. Keep in mind that they looked at 10’s of thousands of cases from around the globe whose overall care varied a great deal. Essentially they tried to draw conclusive evidence from an uncontrolled study. There are new studies underway that will allow for more pertinent conclusions as they are devised using standardized experimental methods. This Lancet study showing ill effects is not much more accurate than Chinese studies showing positive outcomes. It is ‘sloppy’ data with loads of statistical cleanup methods applied.

That said - it is clear that chloroquine is no covid19 ‘silver bullet’. If it was we’d certainly see loads of proof to that effect.

Not sure there will be a silver bullet.  Maybe a bunch of lead ones, but whatever works.

• dtel locked this topic