Covid19 redux

Bosco-d-gama

27 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

If you read this remdesivir study you’ll see how complex it is to derive conclusive results from ongoing clinical cases. It was well done. Now contrast the remdesivir study design with the paper from Lancet on hydoxychlorquine and you find a huge difference. The Lancet work looked at just 2 variables, whether people had ventricular arrhythmias or died. They ‘observed’ that hydroxychlorquine in combination with other drugs was associated with arrhythmias and did not reduce mortality. They made no attempt to categorize stages of the disease, level of infection, etc. It’s as though they went looking for the bad and left out any detailed study to show if hydroxychlorquine had ANY advantages at ANY stage of the disease. This is why that paper has been called limited and unable to assign cause and effect. Other papers on hydroxychlorquine have shown positive results and like remdesivir hydroxychlorquine may in fact offer some benefit. Other studies are underway. 

It is not exceptional news that neither of these drugs are curative. I’d say the take away if the hydroxychlorquine must be used with regard to its safety....... but it may well still be worth using and a lot of clinicians still use it.

Yes, you don't have to dig far into that paper to understand where it is going and what the motivator.  Also to start off stating "observational study" makes it hold less water than the actual troops on the ground doing the work and stating their observations.

As I said earlier, a bunch of small bullets is better than none since we can't find the one silver bullet.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

He ain't driving anything. He's a public servant. Or is he the only one people are listening to? Why would that be?

This is Brix's bailiwick, what's she saying? Wait, didn't CDC issue guidelines, and unissued them? Is she even allowed to say anything?

What's our Govemor saying? It's his call, or is he leaving it up to county by county? 

Flights are cheap, gas is rock bottom, everyone should fly/drive to a town of their choice in USA, catch a ball game, watch a movie, drop some coin, remember those who died for their country and get this place going again. 

He's driving the media and the narrative unfortunately.  Maybe that is reducing now.

1 hour ago, Dave A said:

Giles county population is 29485. 12 cases and no deaths. Where I live and love it.

Hamilton Co., 512 cases and 14 deaths, but the population is a lot higher than Giles.

I'm right over the border in Georgia and I am in and out of two counties, Catoosa (97 cases), and Walker (95 cases) with no deaths.

Wife has become a little worried since the cases at our jobs, so we got tested this a.m., but won't know for a few days.

16 hours ago, RANDYH said:

the sun  is killing the virus --------------on all the surfaces ------------it's our best natural vaccine  -----they should open all the sealed windows in the hospitals and wherever there are  high rates of infection , and let Mother Nature  do it's job -----

This is so true. There was a time when hospitals were true convalescent facilities with lots of open windows, natural light, etc.  Now, many rooms are internal, with cool white fluorescent lighting and recirculating air with minimal exchange.  I’m sure this virus, as well as other pathogens, finds a nice home in the ducts and filters.  It explains why so many hospitalized patients wind up with infections they would not have contracted otherwise.

Maynard

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Marvel said:

Hamilton Co., 512 cases and 14 deaths, but the population is a lot higher than Giles.

I'm right over the border in Georgia and I am in and out of two counties, Catoosa (97 cases), and Walker (95 cases) with no deaths.

Wife has become a little worried since the cases at our jobs, so we got tested this a.m., but won't know for a few days.

361,613 to be exact so I would imagine the scourge of pnuemonia and flu has been worse. One out of every 3,606 chance of death and one out of 706 chance of getting it if you would even know you had it as many seem to have very mild cases. Wonder what the average stats for Hamilton are for flu and pneumonia? I know your situation is different considering where you work so take walks in the daylight and vitamins D.

The vaccine trials soon to be undertaken may run into an inherent problem - they may be reach human testing levels when the rate of covid19 infection is too low to prove if the vaccine works, or not. With animal studies researchers will set up test groups to be given a vaccine or not. Then they will expose both groups to a pathogen to determine if the vaccine imparted immunity. Ethics does not allow this in human trials. They will administer the vaccine, look for the antibodies and then wait to see if people get sick - or not. But if there’s not enough contagion around then researchers cannot get enough ‘proof’ data to confirm whether their vaccine actually works. 

Just another quirk to medical research.......

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-24/oxford-university-vaccine-trials-run-into-hurdle-telegraph

• Like 1

No amount of money would induce me to put a fast tracked, inadequately tested, vaccine made with a new technology into my body.  Everyone should know that the manufacturers have ZERO liability if the product causes significant harm including death.  And I’ll bet that school age kids will be forced to take it as a condition to receive public education.   Gates must be smiling....

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/health-law-and-business/hhs-shelters-drug-device-makers-from-liability-combating-virus

Maynard 

• Like 3

• dtel locked this topic