Covid19 redux

Bosco-d-gama

1 hour ago, tube fanatic said:

As usual, FDA is protecting industry to the possible detriment of the public (the document itself can be accessed by clicking on the link in the second paragraph of the article below):

https://snacksafely.com/2020/05/the-fda-has-relaxed-labeling-requirements-under-covid-19-what-it-means-for-the-food-allergy-community/

Maynard

As I read this I do not interpret the new regs as ‘protecting’ industry. The industry is the food industry. The food industry is having troubles with obtaining the ingredients for their products. Without ingredients they stop making food. People do not like that. Food shortages are scary. So the FDA has loosened their regulations to allow the ‘industry’ to use substitutes for some ingredients and to label their products as having substitutes w/o specifying whether they substituted an ingredient that may, or may not be an allergen.

So people that have food allergies need to be aware and avoid any product with any potential problem. ALL of the rest of us will have access to foods we’d otherwise not have. Would you rather cater to the few or succor the many? That’s the trade off.

AND these are just temporary changes put in play because of covid19. Once the normal supply lines are back in order the normal regs will be back in place. Some of you lay down the catch 22 damned if you do or don’t. If the FDA declined to help the food ‘industry’ you’d scream foul because of the food shortage. If they help the food ‘industry’ to provide food you complain about that because of the peril placed on a minority of consumers. Jeesh!

As a volunteer long term care Ombudsman I understand the regulations/ requirements of long term care and how the long term care industry meets those requirements. The regulations are loose and the efforts made to fulfill them are pathetic. As a nation how we care for our elderly is truly unfortunate, at best. It speaks to all of us. We hear the media carry on like stuck pigs about ‘fast food’ workers and nary a peep about LVNs working to care for our infirm elderly. The slack regulations and poor industry practices now realize their consequences - most of the covid19 dead are nursing home residents. They may as well have been dead branches tossed into an industrial shredder. And before you go pointing wiggly fingers at Trump this is not his fault alone. This is a long-standing failure on the part of our gov’t at all levels. This is a failure of America at the family level.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2020/5/25/21267741/nursing-homes-coronavirus-deaths-congress-racial-disparity-veterans-tamara-konetzka-editorial

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

As I read this I do not interpret the new regs as ‘protecting’ industry. The industry is the food industry. The food industry is having troubles with obtaining the ingredients for their products. Without ingredients they stop making food. People do not like that. Food shortages are scary. So the FDA has loosened their regulations to allow the ‘industry’ to use substitutes for some ingredients and to label their products as having substitutes w/o specifying whether they substituted an ingredient that may, or may not be an allergen.

So people that have food allergies need to be aware and avoid any product with any potential problem. ALL of the rest of us will have access to foods we’d otherwise not have. Would you rather cater to the few or succor the many? That’s the trade off.

AND these are just temporary changes put in play because of covid19. Once the normal supply lines are back in order the normal regs will be back in place. Some of you lay down the catch 22 damned if you do or don’t. If the FDA declined to help the food ‘industry’ you’d scream foul because of the food shortage. If they help the food ‘industry’ to provide food you complain about that because of the peril placed on a minority of consumers. Jeesh!

Did you read the actual FDA document?  I could debate the issue of food allergens with you until the cows come home but this is not the place.  The document states that country of origin no longer needs to be truthfully disclosed.  For example, I only buy vegetables from the US, Canada, and a few other countries.  I will not buy food that comes from China, and some other Asian countries, due to concerns over industrial and other toxins.  Under the new guidelines,  a product can be labeled as being from the US when in fact it is not.  You know that this loosening of labeling requirements will not go away any time in the foreseeable future unless, of course, there’s a miraculous vaccine.  

People need to read the document and draw their own conclusions.  I post these links for informational purposes to help others educate themselves with points of view which they will never hear from mainstream media.

Maynard

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tube fanatic said:

Did you read the actual FDA document?  I could debate the issue of food allergens with you until the cows come home but this is not the place.  The document states that country of origin no longer needs to be truthfully disclosed.  For example, I only buy vegetables from the US, Canada, and a few other countries.  I will not buy food that comes from China, and some other Asian countries, due to concerns over industrial and other toxins.  Under the new guidelines,  a product can be labeled as being from the US when in fact it is not.  You know that this loosening of labeling requirements will not go away any time in the foreseeable future unless, of course, there’s a miraculous vaccine.  

People need to read the document and draw their own conclusions.  I post these links for informational purposes to help others educate themselves with points of view which they will never hear from mainstream media.

Maynard

Maynard.......   Folks need to eat. You wanna split hairs that’s your choice. They are being honest and letting people know that they have had to accept labeling modifications to keep food supplies available. And there’s no mention of needing to eradicate covid19 prior to ending these measures. They need to get the wheels of this industry back to operating. I do understand your concerns but find them overstated.

1 hour ago, richieb said:

Any Midwesterners like yer snacks? A FritoLay plant 60 miles north of KC has its first known case of Covid. Employment is roughly 1000 — 

Have my bag of covid corn chips

IMG_20200525_171649_hdr.jpg

• Moderators
On 5/23/2020 at 9:11 PM, pzannucci said:

He's driving the media and the narrative unfortunately.  Maybe that is reducing now.

Assuming that were true, whose fault is that? 

More fundamentally, do we want the scientists and doctors to be part of a narrative? 

Media is driven by sales because it is a business now. It's ratings driven. They all select drama and controversy, in the eyes of their viewer base, in deciding how and what they air or publish.

I didn't see Birx shying away from this was a serious outbreak that needed a shutdown. I think what she said on Friday it's every county/state for themselves and we will help them.

Her death figures CDC is reporting  haven't changed one iota since March, she explained how they use baselines to check their data, how it hit exponential growth, and how they measure if certain restrictions are working.

She also said there were a few areas that they could not figure out yet, no decline despite following guidelines. She had no explanation for Maryland and Virginia.

I say let er rip, done what we can do.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, richieb said:

Any Midwesterners like yer snacks? A FritoLay plant 60 miles north of KC has its first known case of Covid. Employment is roughly 1000 — 

Oh no, more shortages.

I think Texas has it's own Frito Lay plant (lot of Chilli Frito pie to supply) and Budwiser, and Miller, Ford Truck Plant, own beef supply, produce supply, we may import our poultry I dont know.

If you run low on Fritos we can mail you some.

Oh, and Dr Pepper, we can send you plenty of that too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

As a volunteer long term care Ombudsman I understand the regulations/ requirements of long term care and how the long term care industry meets those requirements. The regulations are loose and the efforts made to fulfill them are pathetic. As a nation how we care for our elderly is truly unfortunate, at best. It speaks to all of us. We hear the media carry on like stuck pigs about ‘fast food’ workers and nary a peep about LVNs working to care for our infirm elderly. The slack regulations and poor industry practices now realize their consequences - most of the covid19 dead are nursing home residents. They may as well have been dead branches tossed into an industrial shredder. And before you go pointing wiggly fingers at Trump this is not his fault alone. This is a long-standing failure on the part of our gov’t at all levels. This is a failure of America at the family level.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2020/5/25/21267741/nursing-homes-coronavirus-deaths-congress-racial-disparity-veterans-tamara-konetzka-editorial

EXACT same failure here in Canada too.

The damage was done decades ago, and no party is innocent.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Oh no, more shortages.

I think Texas has it's own Frito Lay plant (lot of Chilli Frito pie to supply) and Budwiser, and Miller, Ford Truck Plant, own beef supply, produce supply, we may import our poultry I dont know.

If you run low on Fritos we can mail you some.

Oh, and Dr Pepper, we can send you plenty of that too.

Dr Pepper?!

I have not been able to find a case of that magic elixir for a month now.

Been adding a drop of almond extract to my Pepsi, but it ain’t cuttin’ it...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geoff. said:

Dr Pepper?!

I have not been able to find a case of that magic elixir for a month now.

Been adding a drop of almond extract to my Pepsi, but it ain’t cuttin’ it...

Add a shot of prune juice...instant Dr. Pepper. I like it frigid.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tube fanatic said:

I only buy vegetables from the US, Canada, and a few other countries.  I will not buy food that comes from China, and some other Asian countries, due to concerns over industrial and other toxins. 

Maynard

one item you have to watch out for , is shrimp-

https://www.treehugger.com/green-food/why-you-should-never-buy-shrimp-china.html

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, geoff. said:

No word of a lie.

Just bought a 12 pack of Dr Pepper and a bag of Fritos.

My son and I are quite pleased with ourselves...

who about root beer or spruce beer soda ----

• dtel locked this topic