Covid19 redux

Bosco-d-gama

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

Wasn’t there some big controversy over Dr. Pepper and cane sugar in Texas? In knew a real Dr. Pepper. He was a pathologist....... did autopsies. 

Yes they closed down a little guy for selling his outside area. Very sad. They started selling a limited runs of Imperal cane sugar Dr Pepper after that.

6 hours ago, RANDYH said:

Up to 3.6%?  I wonder what they are really looking at and their models.  I don't like ending an article with the following so why bother?

Dr. Basu said as of right now, among the cases who fall sick, we are only reporting about 25%, which means there is a lot of data still missing. That's what they are trying to track with this study to help our leaders make informed decisions for public health.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RANDYH said:

This is what I tried to explain to Bosco.  That bag of shrimp which says pond raised in the US may contain shrimp from China.  And, the FDA has dumped the decision to terminate this new ruling on HHS where it will conveniently, in my opinion, be forgotten.  Meanwhile, if the agencies are so concerned about our food supply, why are we continuing to export products which are in such short supply here?

Maynard

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tube fanatic said:

This is what I tried to explain to Bosco.  That bag of shrimp which says pond raised in the US may contain shrimp from China.  And, the FDA has dumped the decision to terminate this new ruling on HHS where it will conveniently, in my opinion, be forgotten.  Meanwhile, if the agencies are so concerned about our food supply, why are we continuing to export products which are in such short supply here?

Maynard

Wow.

California doctors say they have seen 'a years worth of suicides' in the last month because of the impact lockdown is having on mental health

• Trauma doctors and nurses at John Muir Medical Center in California say they have seen a year's worth of suicide attempts in just a matter of weeks 
  • Dr Mike deBoisblanc and nurse Kacey Hansen say lockdown needs to be lifted
  • Medics are witnessing a huge amount 'intentional injury' brought on by stress
  • Isolation and job losses are leading to higher number of suicide attempts 
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, tube fanatic said:

Maynard

Here’s a link to the feds ‘temporary’ changes.  BTW it refers to ‘formulations and ingredients’ so I don’t think it applies to ‘shrimp’. Anyway it does say that substitute ingredients must be ‘safe’. Read for yourselves.

https://www.fda.gov/food/cfsan-constituent-updates/fda-announces-temporary-flexibility-policy-regarding-certain-labeling-requirements-foods-humans

1 hour ago, pzannucci said:

California doctors say they have seen 'a years worth of suicides' in the last month because of the impact lockdown is having on mental health

• Trauma doctors and nurses at John Muir Medical Center in California say they have seen a year's worth of suicide attempts in just a matter of weeks 
  • Dr Mike deBoisblanc and nurse Kacey Hansen say lockdown needs to be lifted
  • Medics are witnessing a huge amount 'intentional injury' brought on by stress
  • Isolation and job losses are leading to higher number of suicide attempts 

So are all states seeing record numbers or is it just California?  I have no idea but it wouldn't surprise me if some states were much higher than others.

2 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

So are all states seeing record numbers or is it just California?  I have no idea but it wouldn't surprise me if some states were much higher than others.

They died from COVID....  COVID induced.   Check the box.

19 hours ago, tube fanatic said:

Did you read the actual FDA document?  I could debate the issue of food allergens with you until the cows come home but this is not the place.  The document states that country of origin no longer needs to be truthfully disclosed.  For example, I only buy vegetables from the US, Canada, and a few other countries.  I will not buy food that comes from China, and some other Asian countries, due to concerns over industrial and other toxins.  Under the new guidelines,  a product can be labeled as being from the US when in fact it is not.  You know that this loosening of labeling requirements will not go away any time in the foreseeable future unless, of course, there’s a miraculous vaccine.  

People need to read the document and draw their own conclusions.  I post these links for informational purposes to help others educate themselves with points of view which they will never hear from mainstream media.

Maynard

Yes, they need to revert back to some regulations after. Like to  know where food stuff

are actually from. Need to watch and see with others. Someone posted about those little canned smoked oysters from China. Thanks!

• Like 1

On 5/25/2020 at 8:05 AM, pzannucci said:

Two watched states, TX and FL.  16 and 4 deaths respectively.  Let's see if these get revised up in the next couple of days.  Considering they opening up, significantly, we should see a dismal June.

I wish the case count mattered.

Guess there will be a press at WH this coming Friday. Watch for smiling faces.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

What will we have learned from the covid19 pandemic? Assuming we do finally get covid19 corralled up and contained what will humanity have gained from the experience?

I think that the healthcare community will better understand its weaknesses to deal with such diseases. During the Ebola epidemic when we brought just a few active cases into the country I cringed. Unlike the leadership that facilitated this action I understood completely how poorly our acute care systems would manage such a virulent contagion. And I was correct. Fortunately we did not import any additional Ebola cases into America. We did not have to trial our systems with that monster. Ebola makes covid19 look like a hangnail. This time our healthcare systems did have to confront the pathogen and it did demonstrate our weaknesses and our strengths. Covid19 has given our healthcare systems a wake-up call for infectious disease. We will be better prepared in the future because of covid19.

What about the public in general? Here I am less optimistic. In those cities impacted by covid19 people will understand the true terror of the disease. There will be familiar faces missing. There will be stories shared 1st hand. There will be an on-going impact of the disease itself as its long term effects become manifested. These people will now know the meaning of contagion and will fear it. But elsewhere, the places where covid19 has been just a news story and an inconvenience, the population is far less personally knowledgeable. They did not see the disease because we hid the disease. They did not see or know the sick and the dead. As far as they know their rights got trampled on for not a ‘good’ enough reason. They do not know infectious disease nor will they respect such a future contagion. 

So we will have these 2 extreme’s and the variations in the middle. Because of these experiences people will pass along different memories of covid19 to their heirs. When the next pandemic arises we will see this expressed in how serious a deadly contagion will be managed.

What have you learned from covid19?

https://theconversation.com/as-collective-memory-fades-so-will-our-ability-to-prepare-for-the-next-pandemic-137370

Think it is always be prepared for this type of eventuality in the future. Flooding, fire, earthquake, weather, and whatever your environment may suggest.

• Like 1

• dtel locked this topic