Covid19 redux

Bosco-d-gama

53 minutes ago, billybob said:

Throw everything against the wall.  Something better stick for our sake.   Either that or don you riot gear and brave the new world/norm.  Make sure you are taking 12 vitamins a day and don't have diabetes or hypertension.

I think a lot of the age related deaths are not from people in good physical heath though ones that have these other underlying diseases that creep in as you age.  Also, how many older folks used to be smokers?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pzannucci said:

Also, how many older folks used to be smokers?

tons , and the weed habit  is  just as bad as cigarettes and maybe worse -   can't be too good for the arteries -

12 hours ago, pzannucci said:

California doctors say they have seen 'a years worth of suicides' in the last month because of the impact lockdown is having on mental health

• Trauma doctors and nurses at John Muir Medical Center in California say they have seen a year's worth of suicide attempts in just a matter of weeks 
  • Dr Mike deBoisblanc and nurse Kacey Hansen say lockdown needs to be lifted
  • Medics are witnessing a huge amount 'intentional injury' brought on by stress
  • Isolation and job losses are leading to higher number of suicide attempts 

sad -----really sad -

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Deang said:

The numbers are dropping fast. I hope the trend continues - I am so tired of this. 

Here, Here!  

I think it’s time to venture out WHEN i need something and just use reasonable precautions. I do have masks and gloves on hand. 

I just saw the CDC said that you CAN get the virus from contaminated surfaces and objects. They were worried that their statement from last Wednesday downplaying the odds of getting it that way, would be misunderstood. I think it’s time to give up on getting solid information. 

I guess this is just our time to endure something. The USA adapted to a new normal after other pandemics, wars, and 9-11. I will say that this is the FIRST time that i’ve went to such extremes from an illness going around. SARS and H1N1, and the Hong Kong Flu -- didn’t quarantine, just did my best to avoid people that appeared sick. I do understand that in all of these pandemics, people were contagious before having symptoms. 

Stay safe folks and try hard to stay mentally healthy as well. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

Some not so good news.............   South America is starting to boil over with covid19.

https://www.vox.com/2020/5/26/21270376/south-america-covid-19-coronavirus-brazil-peru-chile

Stop the flights into the US.  This "check their temperature" probably doesn't catch anyone and if it does, probably is self quarantine - sure....

1 hour ago, Deang said:

Pretty bad when you feel like you have to start fact checking the CDC. 

Realclearpolitics is owned by Forbes. That narrative is getting tired and old. 

Bad part is that when you look at the CDC, NIH, and WHO, it reinforces the narrative.  Maybe we overcompensated, like a new driver in a skid in snow, cut across the road into a ditch.  It is starting to look that way.  Worse is some governors are enjoying the power.

Hind sight is we could have done the social distancing and masks since the beginning.... Not sure what NY would have done though with the subways.  

Not so hind sight, we knew old folks were most vulnerable but you have these stats.

Nursing home fatality percentages.

NY ~20%  

NJ ~40%

PA ~55%

1 hour ago, Deang said:

Pretty bad when you feel like you have to start fact checking the CDC. 

Realclearpolitics is owned by Forbes. That narrative is getting tired and old. 

The narrative as a whole left, right, centrist is tiring and growing older — 

• Like 1

That’s a myopic view. Don’t forget China, Spain, and Italy. And now India, Brazil, etc. 

Inadequate response, no testing, no herd immunity, no vaccine - are body count multipliers. 

We just keep going in circles with this. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, pzannucci said:

Not so hind sight, we knew old folks were most vulnerable but you have these stats.

NY ~20%  

NJ ~40%

PA ~55%

Where do these number come from? I don't see anything similar in the reported stats.

https://www.aarp.org/caregiving/health/info-2020/coronavirus-nursing-home-cases-deaths.html

Mike

5 minutes ago, michaelwardjoines said:
1 hour ago, pzannucci said:

NY ~20%  

NJ ~40%

PA ~55%

Where do these number come from? I don't see anything similar in the reported stats.

https://www.aarp.org/caregiving/health/info-2020/coronavirus-nursing-home-cases-deaths.html

Mike

NY probably needs to be NYC.

Here is one source:

https://freopp.org/the-covid-19-nursing-home-crisis-by-the-numbers-3a47433c3f70

Bunch of other stuff out there.

Of course, these would be preliminary.  We have to wait and see what games are played with the numbers and reassessment. 

Bottom line is since the beginning it was known the elderly were most at risk and obviously the world had a brain fade.

• Like 1

• dtel locked this topic