Covid19 redux

Bosco-d-gama

44 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

Old and feeling depressed cuz of covid19? 

https://khn.org/news/for-seniors-covid-19-sets-off-a-pandemic-of-despair/

Stop smoking, take better care of yourself for a couple of months, build up your immune system with good nutrition and venture out.  Die from isolation or take your chances.  Not really much of a choice if you were a jet setting older person.

“”With infinite complacency men went to and fro about their daily tasks confident in their empire over this planet.” 

Probably not an accurate quote from HG Wells, War of the Worlds but it makes the point. As us ‘modern’ folks benefited from decades of good medical science we became dumbed down about infectious diseases. As the 21st century arrived I doubt if any of us could’ve imagined today’s tragic headlines. But just 100 years earlier, as the 20th century dawned, such headlines would’ve been just as tragic but not entirely foreign to our collective psyche. Now our infectious disease ‘compass’ has been reminded by covid19 that we are fragile critters - and that is the fact. We are susceptible and we are mortal. Time to resolve to end this disease complacency. As Ebola ravaged Africa several years back I had hopes that we’d have had enough sense then to better prepare. Nope. Even now with the wholesale death caused by covid19 their are way too many infectious disease skeptics. Time to wise up. 

Anyway - covid19 is not over yet. There is too much more to come and the ride could get rougher. Hopefully this planets humanity will survive covid19 bruised, battered but still intact. But now is the time to use this experience to lay better, more realistic plans for the next contagion. It is not a matter of ‘if’ but ‘when’ this will occur. And it could be a lot worse than covid19. Ebola was/is a lot worse than covid19 and we stupidly risked bringing Ebola home to roost at one time. Why? These administrative doctors, the ones our untrained leaders rely on for direction, they are more academic than practical. They think using theoretical’s. They ‘presume’ that our health systems are adequate and prepared and ready. They have NO idea about the real status of our ‘state of readiness’. We lucked out with Ebola but we also failed. That was when we should’ve seen our troubles....... and if we did we still did not correct them.

https://www.vox.com/2020/5/26/21270703/coronavirus-deaths-us-world-covid-19-nursing-homes

• Like 3

10 hours ago, RANDYH said:

Animal Which Passed the Coronavirus from Bats to Humans Probably Wasn't a Pangolin, Study Suggests

https://www.newsweek.com/animal-which-passed-coronavirus-bats-humans-probably-wasnt-pangolin-study-suggests-1505005

Other than the bazzilion pop up ads on their site, it was a good article.

By studying the genome sequence of SARS-CoV-2 and comparing it to other coronaviruses, scientists in China found it was 96 percent identical to RaTG13, which infects horseshoe bats. Bats are reservoirs of coronaviruses that often recombine, and carry 61 viruses known to infect humans. But RaTG13's spike protein which it uses to invade a host's cells is different to that of SARS-CoV-2, meaning it likely didn't spread directly from bats to people.

One pre-print study (meaning it hasn't been peer reviewed) shared online on the website bioRxiv in March indicated that SARS-CoV-2 diverged from RaTG13 between 40 to 70 years ago. "The SARS-CoV-2 lineage is not a recent recombinant, at least not involving any of the bat or pangolin viruses sampled to date," the authors wrote.

Professor David Robertson, of the MRC-University of Glasgow Centre for Virus Research and co-author of the bioRxiv study, told Newsweek: "We've shown that although relatively close in sequence space this still represents several decades of time."

• Like 1

Another article on nursing home covid19 failure. Reportedly Canada brought in their national guard to bolster care and investigate problems there. The nursing home situation everywhere is quite deplorable..

https://www.forbes.com/sites//2020/05/28/lifting-the-curtain-on-the-horror-of-nursing-homes-in-the-pandemic/#5c5ca33a50f0https:

• Sad 1

54 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

Another article on nursing home covid19 failure. Reportedly Canada brought in their national guard to bolster care and investigate problems there. The nursing home situation everywhere is quite deplorable..

https://www.forbes.com/sites//2020/05/28/lifting-the-curtain-on-the-horror-of-nursing-homes-in-the-pandemic/#5c5ca33a50f0https:

I listened to Cuomo talk about how none of the nursing home issues in his state were his fault.  He blamed everyone form the nursing homes to the federal government.  I almost threw up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CECAA850 said:

I listened to Cuomo talk about how none of the nursing home issues in his state were his fault.  He blamed everyone form the nursing homes to the federal government.  I almost threw up.

On the nursing home thing---I'm kind of partial to Soylent Green as long as everything is disinfected.

JJK

2 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Ya, he didn't know that the elderly were at risk and if you lobbed a COVID bomb in the middle of a nursing home, nothing would happen.

24 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

It’s pretty clear that there’s a nursing home ‘problem’ in general. Certainly NY truly screwed the pooch on the covid19 deal but nursing homes do present the weakest link in our healthcare continuum when it comes to many issues. The many facets of getting old suck big time....... as is the undeniable end game of death. It is a real touchy pile of emotional issues with not many good answers and none that are ‘cheap’. But I know we can do better than we have now.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Im sure his semi-famous mouthy brother set up another brother to brother bash fest where every subject under the sun was discussed Except the Guvnas’ failure. Oh that’s right, mouthy brother had Rona and shared her with his wife and took a non-approved drug - 

4 minutes ago, Deang said:

Weeeeeee.

Capture.PNG

Imagine what’s in store for Brazil and other cities with dense populations where little can be done to curtail or treat covid19? In those places it will be more like the medieval plagues. Yemen is another country headed down the crappers. That morbid character called the ‘grim reaper’ was more real than fiction for most of mankind’s history. And he’s back to test our mettle.

24 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

It's all about finger pointing and deflecting blame at this point.

Not disagreeing with you. Tough times bring out the best and the worst in humanity. I’d rather stick to the bigger picture about LTC. Even if Cuomo had done everything correct they’d have still lost too many elderly in those ‘warehouse’ style facilities. There has to be some changes made in elder care, no 2 ways about it. Here’s another link to Canada’s problem. 

https://www.csmonitor.com/World/Americas/2020/0528/They-didn-t-get-to-die-with-dignity-Canada-reexamines-care-for-seniors

• Sad 1

• dtel locked this topic