Covid19 redux

Bosco-d-gama

the article is more about wearing masks and convincing people  to wear one - in our area , masks are not being worn , even social distancing is practically gone -and all this lowering of the guard happened in the last week -

• Like 1

We all knew that we don't need to wear masks unless we think we are sick right:

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks

When and how to wear medical masks to protect against coronavirus?

If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with COVID-19.

• Wear a mask if you are coughing or sneezing.
  • Masks are effective only when used in combination with frequent hand-cleaning with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
  • If you wear a mask, then you must know how to use it and dispose of it properly.

https://apps.who.int/iris/rest/bitstreams/1274280/retrieve

I guess we are all healthy until proven otherwise.

7 hours ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

Here’s an article that pertains to your ICU bed indices. At this point in the covid19 pandemic, after a mere 4 months, the numbers of the critically sick and the dead are huge. Attempting to compare them to any flu season in the last half century is a waste of time. Covid19 is outpacing the flu dramatically. So whether covid19 statistics are 10% off, high or low, the result remains degrees of “huge” that far surpasses anything America has seen since the 1918-19 Spanish flu.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/28/rising-icu-bed-use-red-flag-287552?cid=apn

I agree with you - covid19 patients end up in the ICU far more often than ILI patients.  I never attempted to compare the two.  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, pbphoto said:

I agree with you - covid19 patients end up in the ICU far more often than ILI patients.  I never attempted to compare the two.  

And I would agree with you - to an extent. It’s quite likely that some flu cases were miscounted as covid19 cases. It’s likely that some souls actually had both ailments. In any case I do not think any of this happened with intent. And, as we agree, the magnitude of covid19 makes those mistakes inconsequential.

Covid19 is challenging in so many ways. During its initial outbreak we were playing big-time catch-up trying to take the necessary steps to treat/contain covid19 and halt its spread - and they did not want to overstep, to enact measures too extreme. Mistakes were made. But there were never any conspiracies and hopefully we’ve learned enough that we can re-engage life and not slit our own throats. A large part of making this work now is the acceptance of those safety measures needed to control covid19. But we know that one infected person can contaminate dozens. So just a few non-compliant skeptics unwilling to adopt those measures can spoil it for entire sectors of the country. The measures are not hard, just common sense stuff. But some are choosing to ‘draw their line in the sand’ over these simple things. What we all need to do now is to stop any confusing/confounding information and stick with what we know and how we can personally help. Like it or not we’re all in the same boat and if one side is rowing while the other isn’t we’ll go in circles and not move forward.

35 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

Agreed on all counts except the intent - living in Chicago, I'm a little more suspicious of the intent of our mayor and governor.  It's just part of growing up here.  At least in Chicago, regardless of whether you died from covid19 or the flu, you will receive two mail-in ballots this Fall 🤣. So we have that going for us.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, pbphoto said:

Agreed on all counts except the intent - living in Chicago, I'm a little more suspicious of the intent of our mayor and governor.  It's just part of growing up here.  At least in Chicago, regardless of whether you died from covid19 or the flu, you will receive two mail-in ballots this Fall 🤣. So we have that going for us.

Use them wisely.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well crud....  we just had a meeting at work.  They took a survey (couple weeks ago) asking people for when they thought they'd be ready to go out on the road and meet face to face.  Three basic options were "near term, mid term, long term".  They asked about health issues that might put you in a higher risk catagory, such as taking immune-suppressents....  ugh....  so I had to check "yes"....  but otherwise, I marked everything that I wanted to go out early.

Had a meeting earlier....  Nobody is authorized to meet anyone at anytime prior to Labor Day....  that's when they are (currently, since it's been moved) considering opening us up to hit the road.  Phase II will be a number of weeks/months after that and Phase III will be after that....

So as of now, the earliest someone might get to actually "go out" and get to work is Labor Day and the latest is (currently) November/December for Phase III.

I agree that working out of the house has some benefits but I'd trade them all right now to be able to make my rounds. 

Side comment, I get paid for mileage which since I'm not driving.....  is missed.

• Like 1

I have been fortunate to be in my office/tech shop since this started. With most of the staff working from home or in the group residences, I've been able tto actualle catch up on some of our IT work, i.e., putting in some new cabling, installing switches, doing pc upgrades and rebuilds. We are letting some staff back in the main building, but there is limited attendance.

My wife supervises at a group home, but it is a different location than her regular spot.

• Like 1

• dtel locked this topic