Covid19 redux

Bosco-d-gama

2 hours ago, RandyH said:

Gen. Jack Keane: China 'weaponized' coronavirus to 'destroy Western democracies' economies'

https://www.foxnews.com/media/jack-keane-china-weaponized-coronavirus-destroy-economies

And the has been no evidence given that that is true. To me he is just stoking the fire and making this more political.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Marvel said:

And the has been no evidence given that that is true. To me he is just stoking the fire and making this more political.

Ah yes, and from . . .[comment Re political ideology removed]

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Yes and then again ‘no’. What General Keane stated was that China had weaponized the ‘spread’ of covid19 to destabilize other countries. This does not mean that China engineered the virus or even intentionally seeded a natural virus to run amok. His position is that once China knew the virus existed and knew the power of the contagion that China engineered the worldwide spread of the virus while assuring its own public health safety and economic stability. And while there’s no ‘smoking gun’ to support this there is ample circumstantial evidence that clearly does suggest this as being possible. Just look at the numbers.......  the virus started in China and China enjoys the lowest fatalities and the fastest containment of the disease. And while China was busy securing its own house they insisted that the contagion was ‘not’ bad, encouraged worldwide travel without restriction and misguided the WHO along the same lines. The results are pretty strongly evident. China is in good shape and everywhere else is diseased.

So for now it is more of a ‘he said, she said’ deal. China will not allow objective investigations and Chinese citizens are rigidly and brutally kept quiet. The virus is ravaging the planet and China is shutting down Hong Kong and flexing expansionism at a quicker pace. If one is building a circumstantial case the weight of the circumstances is leaning heavily one way.

• Like 3

Egads............ looks like the wheels are coming off of South America. We’ve been railing about how awful our response was to covid19 and sadly we’re now going to get to witness the real gut wrenching seriousness of the contagion.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/30/americas/latin-america-covid-19-epicenter-intl/index.html

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Ah yes, and from the standard bearer of the corrupt right wing media, Fox News.

I always find it suspicious when people discuss the source of a story and not its substance. That level of petulant obstinance is akin to talk to the hand, or the brick. An intelligent person can discuss any issue. When you learn how to debate you are tasked with posturing for both sides of an issue......  and this is why. 

2 hours ago, Deang said:

China’s economy is now fueled by the West’s consumerism. So, if we’re not working and spending, they go down too. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/05/15/business/china-economy-coronavirus.amp.html

Except that the core of Chinese communism is collectivist. They may employ and benefit from our consumerism but their ideology is one of control of the populace for whatever good the gov’t chooses. The good of the gov’t, not the population. China would be happier if they managed the entire planet and directed its future.

• Sad 1

Here’s another ‘mask’ article. It revisits a new application for electrified fabrics that will kill microbes/viruses. But I have a genuine question about materials - masks - and germicidal abilities.  We’ve been advised how common hand soap can kill off covid19. You wash your hands well and the soap surfactants do the deed and kills the virus. Okay - what if you took a cloth mask and impregnated it with soap and allowed it to dry out. You’d have a cloth coated with dry hand soap - right? Well so you wear the mask and as you exhale your exhaled humidity activates the soap. Would this not also be effective as a germicide? Is it safe? I really don’t know if it is safe. Maybe inhaling soap fumes is toxic?? Just a thought. If it worked it’d be cheap and easy and readily available. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/05/30/fact-check-fabric-may-neutralize-coronaviruses-electricity/5286542002/

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

Here’s another ‘mask’ article. It revisits a new application for electrified fabrics that will kill microbes/viruses. But I have a genuine question about materials - masks - and germicidal abilities.  We’ve been advised how common hand soap can kill off covid19. You wash your hands well and the soap surfactants do the deed and kills the virus. Okay - what if you took a cloth mask and impregnated it with soap and allowed it to dry out. You’d have a cloth coated with dry hand soap - right? Well so you wear the mask and as you exhale your exhaled humidity activates the soap. Would this not also be effective as a germicide? Is it safe? I really don’t know if it is safe. Maybe inhaling soap fumes is toxic?? Just a thought. If it worked it’d be cheap and easy and readily available. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/05/30/fact-check-fabric-may-neutralize-coronaviruses-electricity/5286542002/

Looky - looky what I found.

https://www.engr.utexas.edu/news/archive/8934-making-masks-active-with-soap-to-protect-against-coronavirus

• Like 1

Anyone know the answer to this question:  does a virus move on a surface or stay in the same place?  For instance, if the top-left corner of a card was infected, say the size of a dime -- would that spot grow to cover the entire card or would the contaminated part remain only the area that was initially infected?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

Anyone know the answer to this question:  does a virus move on a surface or stay in the same place?  For instance, if the top-left corner of a card was infected, say the size of a dime -- would that spot grow to cover the entire card or would the contaminated part remain only the area that was initially infected?

I believe that viruses require the use of other living cells to replicate. This would mean that they would not physically spread once deposited on a surface unless that surface was a substrate with cells they could inhabit....... like a culture medium. So your ‘dime’ sized hypothetical would stay dime sized until it died off. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, RandyH said:

Oh goodie - worldwide pandemic attributed to the Chinese and now they may develop the worlds first vaccine. Imagine that? But why not? We may as well buy their vaccine for their pandemic, no? And let’s make this a package deal and continue buying all other pharma from them too. But hell, we’ll probably get a bulk discount. Yep, we’ve learned a lot from this exercise - . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, billybob said:

We may have several vaccines ready before end of year. Efficacy and safety paramount.

the Chinese want  copied Remdesivir 4 months ago and they are using it  to fight covid 19- but so far -nothing conclusive

-https://www.fiercepharma.com/pharma-asia/chinese-firm-copies-gilead-s-remdesivir-most-promising-drug-against-new-coronavirus

Did Gilead's remdesivir flop a Chinese trial? Analysts beg to differ

https://www.fiercebiotech.com/biotech/remdisivir-flop-china-analysts

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RandyH said:

the Chinese want  copied Remdesivir 4 months ago and they are using it  to fight covid 19- but so far -nothing conclusive

-https://www.fiercepharma.com/pharma-asia/chinese-firm-copies-gilead-s-remdesivir-most-promising-drug-against-new-coronavirus

Did Gilead's remdesivir flop a Chinese trial? Analysts beg to differ

https://www.fiercebiotech.com/biotech/remdisivir-flop-china-analysts

Watchout, they will be looking to copy some of the new treatments.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, richieb said:

Oh goodie - worldwide pandemic attributed to the Chinese and  now they may develop the worlds first vaccine. Imagine that? But why not? We may as well buy their vaccine for their pandemic, no? And let’s make this a package deal and continue buying all other pharma from them too. But hell, we’ll probably get a bulk discount. Yep, we’ve learned a lot from this exercise - . 

let me state your words   and I quote ----a) worldwide pandemic attributed to the Chinese   b) the Chinese may develop the worlds first vaccine    c)-we'll buy their vaccine for their pandemic  d)- we'll continue buying all other pharma from them too  -------end result -----we 've paid Trillions of Dollars ---------to China ------oh yes , I forgot  e)-  we finance our debt with China   and f) why not raise a white flag -----

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, billybob said:

Watchout, they will be looking to copy some of the new treatments.

they are hacking into these research labs night and day ------ as we are in a confinement period ,  they can hack into our systems with ease -

• Confused 1

Just now, RandyH said:

they are hacking into these research labs night and day ------ as we are in a confinement period ,  they can hack into our systems with ease -

Well that is unfortunate.

• Like 1

• dtel locked this topic