Covid19 redux

Bosco-d-gama

37 minutes ago, Dave A said:

This is a story told to me by someone who knows. When we went into Irag the first time people were amazed at how quickly the Iragi air force was ruined. It was supposed to be much more formidable. The Iraqi air and radar control computers were bought from France who got the computers with a back door built in from the USA. When it was time their airforce stood no chance while fighting both better aircraft and being blind in many ways. I buy Dell computers and a few years back read a story for various Dell server boards made in China. They had back doors in them. This is not new and who knows what all is in there waiting to be triggered. I bet the hair would stand up on our necks if we knew the full extent of espionage and surveillance going on. My PC's with design and machining data do not ever go online.

That's also how we messed up the centrifuges the Iran was using, too.

Regular PCs don't have a  back door, but as I learned in my security class when working for a guv'mint contractor, the best security is no physical access, which would include network connections.

• Like 1

Another covid19 treatment study with remdesivir and this time the results are not as promising as earlier work. This article reports only on observational indices, who got better, who didn’t, etc. I sure wish they would publish data on viral loads or some more objective variable related to the infection. So it is possible that remdesivir may have limited impact and could perhaps be another hydroxychlorquine flash in the ‘hopeful’ pan. Arrrgh!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-06-01/gilead-drug-has-only-modest-benefit-in-large-trial-shares-fall?utm_campaign=news&utm_medium=bd&utm_source=applenews

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Marvel said:

That's also how we messed up the centrifuges the Iran was using, too.

Regular PCs don't have a  back door, but as I learned in my security class when working for a guv'mint contractor, the best security is no physical access, which would include network connections.

Even then there are problems. For a while usb ports were being super glued to prevent use. Where my brother used to work they had to get permission to even move the PC on their desk. Doing so without permission was a fireable offense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, billybob said:

Would someone look at this and see if anything at all can be a pertinent takeaway for the USA?

Thanks!

Well I saw this a few days ago. It too is merely observational and worse from a limited point of observation. Not challenging the mans perception but he’s looking only locally (in Italy) and w/o any/much effort to validate his observations. Essentially the doctor ‘thinks’ that the covid19 cases he is treating are less severe. No ages mentioned. No indices of ailments mentioned. No discourse on morphology or community status. And if we look elsewhere we see the same monstrous covid19 virus chewing through Brazil, etc. I am not sure why this one doctors comments were worth reporting. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tube fanatic said:

As usual, the corruption just doesn’t end.  How many billions did we give Moderna?  

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/01/business/moderna-vaccine-stock-sales-invs/index.html

Maynard

they are giving the money to secure , the vaccine to make sure no one else can be no 1 in line ,  but the focus has shifted to Astrazeneca ----with the best potential for a vaccine ahead of Moderna

• Like 1

Here’s a much better study defining the cardiac impact of using hydroxychlorquine on covid19 patients. The hydroxychlorquine dosages required (recommended?) for covid19 are significantly higher than other clinical applications for the drug and they can/do lead to some serious cardiac problems even in healthy hearts. So anyone with preexisting cardiac disease surely must be at greater risk for these side effects.

https://scienmag.com/study-shows-hydroxychloroquines-harmful-effects-on-heart-rhythm/

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dave A said:

This is a story told to me by someone who knows. When we went into Irag the first time people were amazed at how quickly the Iragi air force was ruined. It was supposed to be much more formidable. The Iraqi air and radar control computers were bought from France who got the computers with a back door built in from the USA. When it was time their airforce stood no chance while fighting both better aircraft and being blind in many ways. I buy Dell computers and a few years back read a story for various Dell server boards made in China. They had back doors in them. This is not new and who knows what all is in there waiting to be triggered. I bet the hair would stand up on our necks if we knew the full extent of espionage and surveillance going on. My PC's with design and machining data do not ever go online.

Millions of Dell, HP, and Lenovo PCs sitting ducks for firmware attacks

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/windows-linux-firmware-hacks

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dave A said:

This is a story told to me by someone who knows. When we went into Irag the first time people were amazed at how quickly the Iragi air force was ruined. It was supposed to be much more formidable.

Actually, most of their capability was take out by Tomahawk cruise missiles, which decimated their air fields. The ones that got off the ground flew straight to Iran. There were less than 40 in air engagements.

There were no back doors, there were however advanced jamming techniques that exploited weaknesses in their systems.

https://www.archives.gov/files/declassification/iscap/pdf/2014-033-doc01.pdf

• Like 1

12 hours ago, pzannucci said:

Do you trust it?

say tomorrow China says they have a vaccine and will share it -- what is the protocol from the FDA -- do we still do extensive testing?  

Could you envision China pimping a bogus vaccine? Wouldn’t surprise me anymore. 

• dtel locked this topic