Covid19 redux

Bosco-d-gama

On 6/3/2020 at 11:15 AM, billybob said:

You also were continuing based on China hacking of US medical research facilities.

yes-correct , and it's happening  in Europe as well in conjunction with the USA attacks -

European supercomputers hacked, apparently to mine cryptocurrency

https://www.datacenterdynamics.com/en/news/european-supercomputers-hacked-mine-cryptocurrency/

• Sad 1

More good news

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/may-jobs-report-2020-coronavirus-pandemic-unemployment-rate-payrolls-151210655.html?.tsrc=notification-brknews

"The May jobs report showed an unexpected rise in the number of non-farm payrolls in the economy and a drop in the unemployment rate from April, averting what economists expected would be a rise in the jobless rate to the highest level since the Great Depression amid the coronavirus pandemic.""

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

I'm sure you're not surprised.

At this point it is like Poker.  Your chips are on the table and you hope you have a winning hand so you let it ride.  Now that the recovery is starting I doubt anyone will be trying to lock back up again.

Just now, pzannucci said:

At this point it is like Poker.  Your chips are on the table and you hope you have a winning hand so you let it ride.  Now that the recovery is starting I doubt anyone will be trying to lock back up again.

It's funny how they're doing it here.  First restaurants were to go only.  Next 25% occupancy then on some random date it was 50%.  I think this weekend we're going to 75%.  Is there some virus formula that they're using to figure this out?  It just seems arbitrary and random.

Kinda like the “six foot rule”. I’m sure someone measured the distance a common count/sneeze traveled and that was the magic number. Although it has been found to be inadequate. But if six feet was an average why not play it safe and give some additional space. They should have said ten feet at the outset. A nice number everyone can relate to. Was there not enough space in the country for an additional four feet of safety?

3 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

I am just hoping we’ve staved it off long enough for some better treatments and medications to have evolved. It is still out there. Now we’ll get to see just how dynamic it can be.

Add to that all the protesting that occurred in already hot spots.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, pzannucci said:

Add to that all the protesting that occurred in already hot spots.

We had a minor spike here in Austin/Travis County, but not near what there has been in San Antonio, Dallas and Houston (Assuming the state figures are accurate).

2 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

We had a minor spike here in Austin/Travis County, but not near what there has been in San Antonio, Dallas and Houston (Assuming the state figures are accurate).

More and more a good idea to lay low for a bit.

• Moderators
14 hours ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

So we have the first French study back in March that was rejected (not retracted) that said it was effective (and spurred the media frenzy), then a second French study that said, we tried to repeat first French study and cannot duplicate the results, we find it ineffective. Now we have that Worldwide study that says it is ineffective and they are withdrawing that study? Did I understand that right? That study says ineffective?

The Remdesivir studies show that it is effective (in terms of reduced time in hospital vs. placebo), and I am not aware of any of the controlled trials being questioned or withdrawn.

Travis

9 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

So we have the first French study back in March that was rejected (not retracted) that said it was effective (and spurred the media frenzy), then a second French study that said, we tried to repeat first French study and cannot duplicate the results, we find it ineffective. Now we have that Worldwide study that says it is ineffective and they are withdrawing that study? Did I understand that right? That study says ineffective?

The Remdesivir studies show that it is effective (in terms of reduced time in hospital vs. placebo), and I am not aware of any of the controlled trials being questioned or withdrawn.

Travis

The studies are tainted so they can't decide what to do.  Keep on letting politics and money into the picture.  I had even thought there were some questions on the Remdesivir studies.  Go figure.

Seems there are several therapeutic possibilities.  Choose your poison literally.

What bothers me is after you get the Covid 19 and survive it I don't won't to hear the doctor saying that "You have heart damage, lung damage, liver damage, pancreous damage, hearing damage, eyesight damage, hair damage, and you are now sterile from the aftereffects of covid 19 but you have the antibodies to carry on. Yippee!

JJK

2 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

Travis

There has been 1 follow up study on remdesivir showing it to be not as effective as the prior report. The Lancet hydroxychlorquine study had no business being published and would not have been published if not for the opportunity to take a poke at Trump. If hydroxychlorquine has any positive use in the treatment of covid19 it is not dramatic.

It all may soon be moot. Both remdesivir and hydroxychlorquine are drugs designed for other viruses that were used for covid19 in hopes of benefit. There are now drugs in the pipeline designed for covid19 that look much more effective. A handful are now entering human trials. These are not vaccines but antiviral meds.

2 hours ago, JJkizak said:

What bothers me is after you get the Covid 19 and survive it I don't won't to hear the doctor saying that "You have heart damage, lung damage, liver damage, pancreous damage, hearing damage, eyesight damage, hair damage, and you are now sterile from the aftereffects of covid 19 but you have the antibodies to carry on. Yippee!

JJK

Agreed.........   but only time will tell. There are 3 scenarios here. One is where the virus remains in the body in a dormant state causing no acute illness but still alive and then reactivates in some manner. That’s how shingles is related to chicken pox. The second scenario is where organs are damaged by our immune system during the course of the infection. That’s is what occurs with rheumatic/scarlet fever. Unfortunately we already know that covid19 causes hefty immune system responses so there is some likelihood this will occur. Lastly are the damages inflicted during the infection by the infection. I’d think that anyone who survived covid19 pneumonia will suffer lung loss/scarring from their infection. Major infections tear up the tissues they infect and the delicate lungs are well known to suffer damage from pneumonic infiltrates.

• dtel locked this topic