Covid19 redux

Bosco-d-gama

1 minute ago, sputnik said:

Don’t mean to ruffle any feathers but despite looking for a silver lining, WE are not living by the lessons WE should have learned.  Sounds like a few posting here are physicians and certainly medical knowledge and treatment has advanced.  Also, we were able to weather the first wave (or first part of a first wave) of a pandemic with less social upheaval than I ever expected.  But, all that said, we need leadership that doesn’t contradict science and common sense.  I serve as command staff in our local fire department and, as a first responder and EMT, I look at a crowd like that in the same light as a gathering of drunk drivers.  

Any persons gathering in crowds for any reasons are just as dumb/thoughtless/selfish/etc. Some are far more destructive than others adding to their collective idiocy.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, RandyH 000 said:

while everybody was stocking up on TP , I bought boxes of N95 USA  Masks for less than 1$ a mask  ------, they are very well built with top of the line elastic  bands that dont break ,    and the mask is thick and does not deform  under pressure 

Cool, read the article...

Just now, Bosco-d-gama said:

Any persons gathering in crowds for any reasons are just as dumb/thoughtless/selfish/etc. Some are far more destructive than others adding to their collective idiocy.

Agreed.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, sputnik said:

WE are not living by the lessons WE should have learned.  

Sadly, that is true.  I worked for over 20 years in a crisis response organization. After a major incident, we'd create a "lessons learned" document that could be read by others around the world. when faced with a new or rare situation, it's nice to see how others have handled similar events and to see what worked and what didn't. recreating the wheel takes valuable time and repeating mistakes can be deadly. 

maybe that is why society's collective memory is so short ... we don't want to admit that we just don't learn from our mistakes. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, sputnik said:

I serve as command staff in our local fire department, as a first responder and EMT, and I look at a crowd like that in the same light as a gathering of drunk drivers.  

are you seeing  any Covid cases in your area , 

48 minutes ago, RandyH 000 said:

are you seeing  any Covid cases in your area , 

Fortunately, with early shut downs, Montana has seen much lower infection rates than elsewhere; however, it’s beginning to spike again with more travel into the state. My county has the highest number in the state - around 200 cases and I think we’re around 700 cases statewide with around 20 deaths.  Our medical directive for resuscitative measures on EMS calls is make no attempt to resuscitate known COVID infected individuals and provide only “limited“ effort for patients exhibiting typical symptoms and mask all patients regardless.  We limit potential first responder exposure on medical calls by sending in a single “scout” paramedic in full PPE who will make an initial size-up and then direct responders staged outside as needed.  Sounds kind harsh and not the way we used to respond but a couple of ambulance crews have been scolded by our medical oversight for not following the new directive as closely as it was outlined.

I responded to a HAZMAT spill in NW South Dakota a few weeks ago. There have been virtually no COVID cases there or in SE Montana and, even though we were dealing with a HAZMAT situation, it was like going out into fresh air and sunshine after being in an underground mine.  Yet, even in that area, the businesses were using very good isolation practices.

4 minutes ago, sputnik said:

Fortunately, with early shut downs, Montana has seen much lower infection rates than elsewhere; however, it’s beginning to spike again with more travel into the state. My county has the highest number in the state - around 200 cases and I think we’re around 700 cases statewide with around 20 deaths. 

200 cases ,  that 's a warning call

1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

Sadly, that is true.  I worked for over 20 years in a crisis response organization. After a major incident, we'd create a "lessons learned" document that could be read by others around the world. when faced with a new or rare situation, it's nice to see how others have handled similar events and to see what worked and what didn't. recreating the wheel takes valuable time and repeating mistakes can be deadly. 

maybe that is why society's collective memory is so short ... we don't want to admit that we just don't learn from our mistakes. 

Sadly some don’t think they’ve made mistakes, others do not want to learn from mistakes made by others..........   seems like too many folks were ‘mistakes’ from the get-go (tongue firmly planted in cheek).

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, sputnik said:

Fortunately, with early shut downs, Montana has seen much lower infection rates than elsewhere; however, it’s beginning to spike again with more travel into the state. My county has the highest number in the state - around 200 cases and I think we’re around 700 cases statewide with around 20 deaths.  Our medical directive for resuscitative measures on EMS calls is make no attempt to resuscitate known COVID infected individuals and provide only “limited“ effort for patients exhibiting typical symptoms and mask all patients regardless.  We limit potential first responder exposure on medical calls by sending in a single “scout” paramedic in full PPE who will make an initial size-up and then direct responders staged outside as needed.  Sounds kind harsh and not the way we used to respond but a couple of ambulance crews have been scolded by our medical oversight for not following the new directive as closely as it was outlined.

I responded to a HAZMAT spill in NW South Dakota a few weeks ago. There have been virtually no COVID cases there or in SE Montana and, even though we were dealing with a HAZMAT situation, it was like going out into fresh air and sunshine after being in an underground mine.  Yet, even in that area, the businesses were using very good isolation practices.

Your policies are precisely what I was referring to earlier. Montana does not put its responders at risk and simultaneously lays a safe pathway to isolate and explore positive covid19 cases by identifying cases in situ.  That’s smart. 

1 hour ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

Sadly some don’t think they’ve made mistakes, others do not want to learn from mistakes made by others..........   seems like too many folks were ‘mistakes’ from the get-go (tongue firmly planted in cheek).

Speaking of which.................

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/brazilian-doctors-fume-as-president-bolsonaro-gets-rap-for-eating-hot-dogs-while-covid-19-cases-are-on-track-to-pass-us-2020-06-20

4 hours ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

If there’s a silver lining I think it is this.....   medicine initially faced a steep and deadly learning curve in how best to manage severe covid19 and medicine has learned quickly. As long as we can avoid flooding hospitals with covid19 cases medical care should be better than before. We should see quicker interventions, better medication approaches, understanding the early signs of decline to avoid crashing and demise. We should be able to isolate our elderly better. New York taught us the covid19 pitfalls, big time..... now we should de a LOT better.

Bingo.........

https://www.freethink.com/articles/cytokine-storm

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RandyH 000 said:

are you seeing  any Covid cases in your area

Yes  more cases and deaths, but not going up super fast. Many people out without masks, but it semms more are starting to wear them.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sputnik said:

We may have learned a few things but the recent protest crowds and the rally in OK show that we’re not taking the lessons seriously.  I count 3 people wearing masks in this photo, can anyone see more?

People gather outside the BOK Center in Tulsa, Okla., on Saturday.

What a fabulous picture and sure do wish I was there!

14 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Yes  more cases and deaths, but not going up super fast. Many people out without masks, but it semms more are starting to wear them.

stay safe -----Bruce , let's hope for the Best -

• dtel locked this topic