Covid19 redux

Bosco-d-gama

Would it be so difficult to do a limited opening with mandatory masks, everywhere? Apparently so. Masks should have been mandated nationwide as things opened up. And let’s not dig in with the politics of it all. Seems commonsense - a place where politics doesn’t exist 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, richieb said:

Masks should have been mandated nationwide as things opened up. And let’s not dig in with the politics of it all.

You can't have one without the other.  That's the issue.

• Like 1

These same people refusing to wear masks are the children of people that refused to wear “protection” on their first date...

And there is nothing funny about it.

The rest of society pays for poor judgement.

And perverted pride fuels the argument to the contrary.

We all suffer the collateral damage of an unchecked ego. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, billybob said:

Sister in Conroe wanted me to visit earlier this year. Has her bar and closet full. Has a cat and a dog for company. Me, I got myself, lol

Do watch some off air channel called TBD that has plenty of cats and dogs...

My parents (both 85) live in Montgomery County (same county as Conroe).  The county does not have a mask mandate in effect, and my dad reports that only about 20% of people out and about are wearing masks, and in general people are not respecting social distancing recommendations there.  Harris County to the south (Houston) has a mask order in effect.  Cross the county line and put on your mask.  Sounds like a good plan to me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Seadog said:

My parents (both 85) live in Montgomery County (same county as Conroe).  The county does not have a mask mandate in effect, and my dad reports that only about 20% of people out and about are wearing masks, and in general people are not respecting social distancing recommendations there.  Harris County to the south (Houston) has a mask order in effect.  Cross the county line and put on your mask.  Sounds like a good plan to me.

Yes to me too. Older sister wears one as she is out at times. 

Lots of members thereabouts and

family. Hope all staying healthy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richieb said:

Masks should have been mandated nationwide as things opened up

Masks have been mandated here in N. Indiana since the beginning, and the order has been extended until Sept.  70 businesses in this county have been cited for violations because their employees were not wearing masks.  I would estimate only about 10% are wearing masks.   Completely disrespectful but not surprising considering the politics of this state.

18 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Completely disrespectful but not surprising considering the politics of this state.

It's just not your state.  It's pretty much all over.  People thing that their rights are being taken away for some reason.  It's maddening.

"A lot of the employees and customers wear their masks under or on their chins."  

Yeah, real smart. Let's breathe pathogen all over the front of the mask, that you're touching every two minutes to adjust -- and then touching everything around you. You are better off not wearing one.

Saw one of those behind the pharmacy counter yesterday, and just had to say something after watching her touch her mask three times and handling medication. 

If the naysayers and deniers would have just gotten on board with all of mitigation efforts early on, we would be close to done with this -- instead we are starting over.

People in Ohio can barely handle distancing without acting like a bunch of infants.

106187920_10217306168592743_3745888522780313008_o.jpg

• Haha 1

I said "almost". We should be the world leader in effectiveness.

Not shown on this graph, are the combined European countries, which are averaging less than 4K cases a day (total/combined). Aggressive testing, contact tracing, and a responsible populace.

Capture.PNG

1 minute ago, Deang said:

We should be the world leader in effectiveness.

Impossible when you have more people that have the right to do as they please, even if it's wrong.  What do you think the graph would look like if people practiced social distancing and mask wearing?  Here in the US people have "rights" and can do whatever they want regardless how it affects others, you didn't know that?

13 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Impossible when you have more people that have the right to do as they please, even if it's wrong.  What do you think the graph would look like if people practiced social distancing and mask wearing?  Here in the US people have "rights" and can do whatever they want regardless how it affects others, you didn't know that?

I'm aware.

The anti-science/ conspiratorial types are going to do the rest of us in.

• Moderators

There’s a lag before changes in people’s behaviors, like more social interaction, are reflected in coronavirus case data. "It takes about nine to 16 days to see increased infections and generally another five to seven days to see changes in the numbers of people hospitalized, said Rebecca Fischer, an infectious disease epidemiologist at the Texas A&M University School of Public Health. (Some individuals are only diagnosed once they make it to the hospital.)"

Houston, East Texas Gulf Coast RAC and RGV are at about 80% of hospital bed capacity. 

If you go to the start of this thread you will see the question asked "does anyone know anyone actually infected?" That is our frame of reference, our little world. Combine that we think, by human nature, in terms of linear relationships. 2,4,6,8. We naturally struggle with visualizing, exponential growth because of our frame of reference.

Epidemiology experts look at factors like the "Positivity" rate — the percentage of positive cases to tests conducted. The average daily positivity rate is calculated by dividing the 7-day average of positive cases by the 7-day average of tests conducted. This shows how the situation has changed over time by de-emphasizing daily swings. Public health experts want the average positivity rate to remain below 6%. In early May, our Governor said a rate over 10% would be a “warning flag”. The state exceeded that mark in June for the first time since April. 

Texas is currently at 13% positivity rate.

Below is the current hospitalizations for Texas:

image.thumb.png.613a1e7a18977b2fe905fd03e4575f0f.png

• Like 2

• dtel locked this topic