Covid19 redux

Bosco-d-gama

2 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Let's just assume they're wrong.  It's hard to determine if something is acceptable or not with inaccurate information.

That being said, we're getting close to full in ICU's around here regardless of numbers or percentages.

Yes, that's what happens when you put off procedures for a few months.  Letting pending health items fester seldomly  helps long term prognosis. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

Let's just assume they're wrong.  It's hard to determine if something is acceptable or not with inaccurate information.

That being said, we're getting close to full in ICU's around here regardless of numbers or percentages.

The people I know who are dealing with it on all fronts are comfortable with the data they have to work with, especially the last two weeks, and four weeks.

Yesterday over 10,000 new confirmed  cases in one day, breaking Saturday's records of over 8,000 new cases, a new record on deaths, almost 10,000 in hospital. 

They say Beaumont/Galveston has 2 ICU beds open for the whole region. Some nutter on FB will say that number is bogus, made up, they will share it, and the segment of our population that gets and spreads news via FB come away with "it's not real", "it's no worse than the flu", "summer will kill it", and the anti-vaxxer supplement snake oil sales people make a fortune.

The experts know the R0, they know the DOTS, they know the positivity rate (which is bad and has Abbott freaking out) and they know the death rate. They don't need data from Colorado or wherever automobile accidents were counted as Covid-19 deaths. They know it's a dangerous, deadly disease and they have plenty of Texas data, and they are getting thousands of new data points every day to add to their data base. (Those data points are people.) When it's all over they will publish their findings in peer reviewed journals about lessons learned, and the public will never read those, they will have cemented in their brains that they were right all along. 

Carl hit it on head, saw a graph I posted and you can trace to Memorial Day weekend. He picked it right out of a graph.

What's it take to get people to think about where are we at today, what's the risk today. To actually know what the positivity rate is in their state and/or County? The Govenor does.  

My recollection is that Bruce's group homes made it, all the way to June, and now July it's spreading like wildfire. Does Bruce doubt the numbers? 

What number of new confirmed daily cases will it take for people to say, Houston we have a problem? It's not 10,000. Is it 15,000, 50,000? Do people know the number of "active" cases in Texas: Confirmed Positive, but not in hospital or dead yet? No one talks about that number but it's published daily in Texas. From that number they can predict number of beds needed. If people don't wear masks and social distance it will be one number, if they do,.it will be another number. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.statesman.com/news/20200707/texas-sees-new-records-in-coronavirus-cases-hospitalizations-and-deaths%3ftemplate=ampart

Hildalgo County is the only Federal surge site in Texas. I have a really close friend who lives in Hildalgo, I have another close friend at Klipsch and nearly his entire family lives there.

At Methodist hospital in San Antonio they have a treatment where they oxygenate your blood, through a machine..  It is for people who are not responding to a ventilator, or anything else and they are brought in from all over, the RGV, Austin, etc. The head of that department was talking about HIS numbers, he had 22 requests for his treatment from other doctors and hospital and  he got to choose 4 that day to get the treatment. That was last weekend and he said that, by far, was the roughest day he has ever had as a doctor. 

Paul Redmond predicted this back in March, the initial response will be so good that people will doubt the numbers and it will cycle until there is a vaccine. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Paul Redmond predicted this back in March, the initial response will be so good that people will doubt the numbers and it will cycle until there is a vaccine. 

Therein lies the problem.  There better be some good coming out of the vaccine work in 2020.  After 3-4 months, we already have a lot of problems.  As a country we can't do another six plus months in the same fashion.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

My recollection is that Bruce's group homes made it, all the way to June, and now July it's spreading like wildfire. Does Bruce doubt the numbers? 

I don't doubt the numbers, however our organization is doing well. Our original home I mentioned, everyone has recovered. We just had new infections, five staff from different departments and only three of our clients. Considering we have approximately 1000 employees and 800 clients, I would say we are doing great. It is hard to limit family seeing their loved one in one of our homes. The homes have no more than eight clients living in them, and some of our residences only have two clients. Our bigger issue, and one facing many facilities- not enough DSPs to support the clients, so they move around on multiple shifts.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, pzannucci said:

I think the key point was deaths.  If you are driving in a car and have an accident and die, is covid the likely cause?

I thought the key point was how many instances of misreporting occurred.

I remember the CDC lady commented at the time, during a White House press conference, that it shouldn't have been classified that way, that CDC made changes to reporting to avoid that, and she gave a slide show that CDC doesn't just rely on numbers from the states, they have several sampling and data baselines that go back over a decade that they crosscheck. They can spot a data anomaly immediately and figure out if it is statistically significant or not. It's part of tracking and chasing disease. Is an essential part of the science of disease to know if we up and over auto accidents, gun deaths, the flu TB, and all the rest. That's why CDC tracks non disease related deaths, so they know if an up tick in deaths, on average, might be associated with disease or not. But that's not news.

What's news is a death, obviously unrelated to Covid, got reported as Covid, because that, apparently, supports the narrative of, "it's the flu" or "data is unreliable" or  "see it's all media hype."

The point is, to me, where are we at now in Texas? The Govenor has put us back at pre-April restrictions, plus slapped a wear a mask requirement on entire state. What's he worried about? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

The point is, to me, where are we at now in Texas? The Govenor has put us back at pre-April restrictions, plus slapped a wear a mask requirement on entire state. What's he worried about? 

I definitely agree there.  TX numbers are skyrocketing.  We need to see if in a couple of weeks, those number actually translate to deaths or maybe worse, hospital capacity exhausted.  It will be terrible feeling of helplessness due to no capacity.  Bad part is we can just prolong the inevitable if a vaccine isn't viable quickly.  At least it buys us more time to examine additional therapeutics if we don't tank the economy.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Agreed but the biggest problem is the people of country that refuse to use common sense.

They get and share their medical information from Facebook. To them common sense is that it's the flu and it will go away in the summer, AND common sense demands I not wear a mask because it's in the Constitution. 

We need a good study, poll, on numbers who are wearing a mask, not wearing one in public, with demographic breakdown on each group.

Some states have a very strong mask culture, you are shunned if you are in public without a mask..Others the opposite. Do some states have more common sense than others?

Someone should do a poll on here, do you wear a mask when in public? I'm guessing a majority don't, also guessing a majority believe there is no need to.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

They get and share their medical information from Facebook. To them common sense is that it's the flu and it will go away in the summer, AND common sense demands I not wear a mask because it's in the Constitution. 

We need a good study, poll, on numbers who are wearing a mask, not wearing one in public, with demographic breakdown on each group.

Some states have a very strong mask culture, you are shunned if you are in public without a mask..Others the opposite. Do some states have more common sense than others?

Someone should do a poll on here, do you wear a mask when in public? I'm guessing a majority don't, also guessing a majority believe there is no need to.

Well in Walmart the other day, everyone was actually wearing them but it was early in the morning so it may have been the crowd that doesn't want to be exposed.  I was quite surprised actually.... well maybe one person dragging their kid through wasn't.  At least higher than 90%.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pzannucci said:

Well in Walmart the other day, everyone was actually wearing them but it was early in the morning so it may have been the crowd that doesn't want to be exposed.  I was quite surprised actually.... well maybe one person dragging their kid through wasn't.  At least higher than 90%.

In Ohio The grocery stores are about 90%. Home Depot and Lowes about the same except for the lumber sections which are like less than 50%. Lumber is moving so fast they can't keep it on the shelves.

JJK

• Like 1

In November 2019, Lenox Hill agreed to pay $12.3 million to settle a Medicare fraud lawsuit brought because Samadi performed multiple surgeries at the same time, leaving patients unsupervised by a urologist when he left one operating room for another; billing for unnecessary procedures; and inadequately supervised residents. The suit was the result of an investigation by the United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

In November 2019, Lenox Hill agreed to pay $12.3 million to settle a Medicare fraud lawsuit brought because Samadi performed multiple surgeries at the same time, leaving patients unsupervised by a urologist when he left one operating room for another; billing for unnecessary procedures; and inadequately supervised residents. The suit was the result of an investigation by the United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York.

Beat me to it.

Find a quack, post whatever from social media. Common sense gets lost very quickly.

The Corona virus task force were all proudly wearing their masks today. All explained who made there masks.

Governor of Mississippi announced today that anyone who has been near a member of their legislature, or a staff member, should get tested immediately. He says more restrictions will be announced soon which may include a facemask requirement.

It looks like there is a push to have children physically return to school. The head if the task force quoted American Academy of Pediatrics as saying their  reccomendation is kids need to physically be in school. Dr. Birx says CDC will be issuing guidelines for schools.

Diea anyone know what AAP said in this issue?

Reasonable...just food for thought

Just read this:  Random person: “Wear your damn mask”

Me: The viral particles are much smaller than the pores of the mask, so the mask is ineffective at filtering them. Right? 

R: No, they travel on droplets and the masks keep the droplets out. Or they keep them in if you’re sick. 

M: So wait, how is the virus transmitted?

R: Through droplets. Wear the mask. 

M: Droplets?

R: Yes, like droplets spewed through a cough or sneeze. 

M: So through people who are showing symptoms?

R: Yes

M: So why do healthy people need to wear masks?

R: Because of asymptomatic spread. Listen to the experts. 

M: I am listening to the experts. Many studies show, and even the WHO announced, that asymptomatic transmission is exceedingly rare. Did you read that?

R: WHO walked that back to clarify that its presymptomatic spread that’s concerning. 

M: Presymptomatic?

R: Yes, like they are infected but showing no symptoms. 

M: Symptoms like coughing or sneezing?

R: Yes.

M: So how is the virus spread again?

R: Just wear the mask. 

M: Are you going to answer the question?

R: It’s like pants.

M: Pants?

R: If a person pees in public without pants on, you have a greater chance of getting pee on you. Your risk is reduced further if you are wearing pants too. 

M: First of all, people don’t pee in public. Second, if they did pee in public, the only way someone’s stream of urine would hit me is if they were directly aiming for me and standing close enough to hit me. And third, I don’t care if you wear pants. How does this relate?

R: If someone coughs on you in public you’ll care. 

M: People don’t just cough on each other. The last time someone coughed directly in my face was when I had toddlers and they didn’t understand common courtesy and germ transmission. The only way someone would cough directly on me in public is if they were aiming. Anyway pants don’t keep the pee in, it’s still going to get everywhere. Pants just change the direction of the flow. Same with masks. 

R: Common courtesy?! You don’t have common courtesy if you’re refusing to do something as simple as wearing a mask!

M: How is it courteous to ask me to do something I disagree with (based on research) especially when I’m not sick or showing any symptoms when the virus is spread through the droplets of people who are showing symptoms? 

R: You’ll think differently if you get sick. 

M: If I get sick, I’ll stay home. But if I must go out I will be happy to not cough on people. But just to clarify, would you stand near me in public if I were wearing a mask and coughing?

R: No, I mean, if you get sick, you could die. 

M: The virus has a 99.9 something percent survival rate. 

R: It’s not about you, it’s about protecting the vulnerable. 

M: If I am not sick or showing symptoms how am I further protecting the vulnerable by wearing a mask? Studies also show these masks put the wearer at increased risk of illness. 

R: You can’t listen to those studies, you need to listen to professionals in the fields of medicine and science. 

M: These studies ARE from professionals in the fields of medicine and science. 

R: They are obviously flawed. 

M: How so? 

R: It wouldn’t be a mandate if it weren’t important. 

M: Why is it a mandate now that the death rate has plummeted when it wasn’t a mandate during the peak?

R: Because of new studies on masks. 

M: So masks have never been studied before, in the entire history of medicine? 

R: It’s a new virus. 

M: A new virus that is transmitted in the same way as other viruses. How is it transmitted again? Through droplets of people showing symptoms? So, if I’m not sick or showing symptoms and I have no fever and I’m not coughing, how would my wearing a mask further prevent transmission?

R: Stop being an ******* and wear the mask. 

M: So, you’re asking that I stop thinking critically, accept a fascist mandate, join the herd, and walk blindly into a dangerous abyss of ever increasing control over my self sovereignty, all while signaling my virtue? 

R: I’ll report you if you don’t. 

M: What country am I in again?

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Sancho Panza said:

That makes him unqualified in his statement/ joke.

Oh it was a joke? That's a relief, I thought it made everything you posted suspect for a momwnt.

No that guy is a.first rate clown, he is more than qualified. Probably only thing he is qualified to do.

He has a very odd sense of timing on when to be clowning around. 

• Sad 1

• dtel locked this topic