Covid19 redux

Bosco-d-gama

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

Reasonable...just food for thought

Just read this:  Random person: “Wear your damn mask”

Me: The viral particles are much smaller than the pores of the mask, so the mask is ineffective at filtering them. Right? 

R: No, they travel on droplets and the masks keep the droplets out. Or they keep them in if you’re sick. 

M: So wait, how is the virus transmitted?

R: Through droplets. Wear the mask. 

M: Droplets?

R: Yes, like droplets spewed through a cough or sneeze. 

M: So through people who are showing symptoms?

R: Yes

M: So why do healthy people need to wear masks?

R: Because of asymptomatic spread. Listen to the experts. 

M: I am listening to the experts. Many studies show, and even the WHO announced, that asymptomatic transmission is exceedingly rare. Did you read that?

R: WHO walked that back to clarify that its presymptomatic spread that’s concerning. 

M: Presymptomatic?

R: Yes, like they are infected but showing no symptoms. 

M: Symptoms like coughing or sneezing?

R: Yes.

M: So how is the virus spread again?

R: Just wear the mask. 

M: Are you going to answer the question?

R: It’s like pants.

M: Pants?

R: If a person pees in public without pants on, you have a greater chance of getting pee on you. Your risk is reduced further if you are wearing pants too. 

M: First of all, people don’t pee in public. Second, if they did pee in public, the only way someone’s stream of urine would hit me is if they were directly aiming for me and standing close enough to hit me. And third, I don’t care if you wear pants. How does this relate?

R: If someone coughs on you in public you’ll care. 

M: People don’t just cough on each other. The last time someone coughed directly in my face was when I had toddlers and they didn’t understand common courtesy and germ transmission. The only way someone would cough directly on me in public is if they were aiming. Anyway pants don’t keep the pee in, it’s still going to get everywhere. Pants just change the direction of the flow. Same with masks. 

R: Common courtesy?! You don’t have common courtesy if you’re refusing to do something as simple as wearing a mask!

M: How is it courteous to ask me to do something I disagree with (based on research) especially when I’m not sick or showing any symptoms when the virus is spread through the droplets of people who are showing symptoms? 

R: You’ll think differently if you get sick. 

M: If I get sick, I’ll stay home. But if I must go out I will be happy to not cough on people. But just to clarify, would you stand near me in public if I were wearing a mask and coughing?

R: No, I mean, if you get sick, you could die. 

M: The virus has a 99.9 something percent survival rate. 

R: It’s not about you, it’s about protecting the vulnerable. 

M: If I am not sick or showing symptoms how am I further protecting the vulnerable by wearing a mask? Studies also show these masks put the wearer at increased risk of illness. 

R: You can’t listen to those studies, you need to listen to professionals in the fields of medicine and science. 

M: These studies ARE from professionals in the fields of medicine and science. 

R: They are obviously flawed. 

M: How so? 

R: It wouldn’t be a mandate if it weren’t important. 

M: Why is it a mandate now that the death rate has plummeted when it wasn’t a mandate during the peak?

R: Because of new studies on masks. 

M: So masks have never been studied before, in the entire history of medicine? 

R: It’s a new virus. 

M: A new virus that is transmitted in the same way as other viruses. How is it transmitted again? Through droplets of people showing symptoms? So, if I’m not sick or showing symptoms and I have no fever and I’m not coughing, how would my wearing a mask further prevent transmission?

R: Stop being an ******* and wear the mask. 

M: So, you’re asking that I stop thinking critically, accept a fascist mandate, join the herd, and walk blindly into a dangerous abyss of ever increasing control over my self sovereignty, all while signaling my virtue? 

R: I’ll report you if you don’t. 

M: What country am I in again?

You are arguing with yourself over wearing a mask? 

That's the first symptom, you need to get tested.

Are you a legislator or staff member in Mississippi? 

2 hours ago, tube fanatic said:

A new potential problem is Dengue Fever!  How long will it be until this spreads across the country?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/dengue-fever-florida-keys-11th-case/

Maynard

We've had outbreaks in the US for years. The Philippines had 15k+ as of Feb. this year, but that was less than half the previous year. It's the mosquitos... The flu like symptoms can turn deadly in just a few hours, especially for children.

• Like 1

The debates continue on precisely how covid19 can be transmitted through the air. They’re certain covid19 can be carried in ‘larger’ particulate airborne droplets but now the debate is whether, or not, covid19 can be spread in the much smaller aerosols also expelled with each breath we exhale. If so then covid19 could linger ‘airborne’ for very long periods and the simple masks deemed less effective at their task of baffling expelled materials. Given what we’ve experienced I suspect the answer is not ‘clearly’ definitive. Certainly covid19 is not carried by fine aerosols ‘all’ the time or our predicament would be much worse than it is. But under the right circumstances I’d guess it does occur. This would be where a highly infectious person broadcasts heavily covid19 laden aerosols into a space where highly vulnerable people can inhale multiple breaths of this contaminated aerosol. 

While it is important to understand every detail possible about covid19 some of this is more academic than not. If these fine aerosols do carry covid19 we also know that they can be killed using UV light scrubbers. In other words we already have an approach for the problem, if it is a problem. Knowing the answer will direct us to install the solutions.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/07/is-sars-cov-2-airborne-questions-abound-but-heres-what-we-know/

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Marvel said:

We've had outbreaks in the US for years. The Philippines had 15k+ as of Feb. this year, but that was less than half the previous year. It's the mosquitos... The flu like symptoms can turn deadly in just a few hours, especially for children.

West Nile virus, carried by mosquitos is also still a problem.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

The head if the task force quoted American Academy of Pediatrics as saying their  recomendation is kids need to physically be in school.

Tell that to all the home school families whose kids are now successfully navigating life.

11 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Reasonable...just food for thought

Just read this:  Random person: “Wear your damn mask”

Me: The viral particles are much smaller than the pores of the mask, so the mask is ineffective at filtering them. Right? 

R: No, they travel on droplets and the masks keep the droplets out. Or they keep them in if you’re sick. 

M: So wait, how is the virus transmitted?

R: Through droplets. Wear the mask. 

M: Droplets?

R: Yes, like droplets spewed through a cough or sneeze. 

M: So through people who are showing symptoms?

R: Yes

M: So why do healthy people need to wear masks?

R: Because of asymptomatic spread. Listen to the experts. 

M: I am listening to the experts. Many studies show, and even the WHO announced, that asymptomatic transmission is exceedingly rare. Did you read that?

R: WHO walked that back to clarify that its presymptomatic spread that’s concerning. 

M: Presymptomatic?

R: Yes, like they are infected but showing no symptoms. 

M: Symptoms like coughing or sneezing?

R: Yes.

M: So how is the virus spread again?

R: Just wear the mask. 

M: Are you going to answer the question?

R: It’s like pants.

M: Pants?

R: If a person pees in public without pants on, you have a greater chance of getting pee on you. Your risk is reduced further if you are wearing pants too. 

M: First of all, people don’t pee in public. Second, if they did pee in public, the only way someone’s stream of urine would hit me is if they were directly aiming for me and standing close enough to hit me. And third, I don’t care if you wear pants. How does this relate?

R: If someone coughs on you in public you’ll care. 

M: People don’t just cough on each other. The last time someone coughed directly in my face was when I had toddlers and they didn’t understand common courtesy and germ transmission. The only way someone would cough directly on me in public is if they were aiming. Anyway pants don’t keep the pee in, it’s still going to get everywhere. Pants just change the direction of the flow. Same with masks. 

R: Common courtesy?! You don’t have common courtesy if you’re refusing to do something as simple as wearing a mask!

M: How is it courteous to ask me to do something I disagree with (based on research) especially when I’m not sick or showing any symptoms when the virus is spread through the droplets of people who are showing symptoms? 

R: You’ll think differently if you get sick. 

M: If I get sick, I’ll stay home. But if I must go out I will be happy to not cough on people. But just to clarify, would you stand near me in public if I were wearing a mask and coughing?

R: No, I mean, if you get sick, you could die. 

M: The virus has a 99.9 something percent survival rate. 

R: It’s not about you, it’s about protecting the vulnerable. 

M: If I am not sick or showing symptoms how am I further protecting the vulnerable by wearing a mask? Studies also show these masks put the wearer at increased risk of illness. 

R: You can’t listen to those studies, you need to listen to professionals in the fields of medicine and science. 

M: These studies ARE from professionals in the fields of medicine and science. 

R: They are obviously flawed. 

M: How so? 

R: It wouldn’t be a mandate if it weren’t important. 

M: Why is it a mandate now that the death rate has plummeted when it wasn’t a mandate during the peak?

R: Because of new studies on masks. 

M: So masks have never been studied before, in the entire history of medicine? 

R: It’s a new virus. 

M: A new virus that is transmitted in the same way as other viruses. How is it transmitted again? Through droplets of people showing symptoms? So, if I’m not sick or showing symptoms and I have no fever and I’m not coughing, how would my wearing a mask further prevent transmission?

R: Stop being an ******* and wear the mask. 

M: So, you’re asking that I stop thinking critically, accept a fascist mandate, join the herd, and walk blindly into a dangerous abyss of ever increasing control over my self sovereignty, all while signaling my virtue? 

R: I’ll report you if you don’t. 

M: What country am I in again?

Good morning!

I can rationalize not wearing a mask until the cows come back home.

Instead, I just wear one. And no one has mandated it yet for all of Florida...yet.

Be safe there and good fortune.

Peace!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Tell that to all the home school families whose kids are now successfully navigating life.

Of course you realize that they’re discussing children whose ‘homes’ are incapable or unwillling to ‘home’ school. So it is ‘not’ a debate about the relative value of home schooling over institutional settings. I’d wager that most kids are getting next to no schooling and I think that all kids need that social interaction. Not sure that I’d put kids back in clustered settings. It is inevitable that a mass contamination event will occur in one of these schools, and it will most likely impact an economically challenged area. The kids will survive, but they’ll infect the adults who would not fair as well.

• Like 2

On 7/7/2020 at 9:56 PM, USNRET said:

I will be paying for a test when available here but it peessies me off that they are not reliable. Cost locally: $0 by county when you can get one, days / weeks; $200 from the franchise ERs/ days / weeks.
Took 5 days for my daughter to get a test two weeks ago after exposure 

i Would steer away from the mass testing sites , since the Medical staff are handling a lot of positive samples and there are positives in the crowd or in the cars waiting in line ---  the staff poke noses after noses , and  I would worry about cross-contamination or  a risk of contamination - -

17 minutes ago, RandyH 000 said:

i Would steer away from the mass testing sites , since the Medical staff are handling a lot of positive samples and there are positives in the crowd or in the cars waiting in line ---  the staff poke noses after noses , and  I would worry about cross-contamination or  a risk of contamination - -

Interesting POV.

46 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

Of course you realize that they’re discussing children whose ‘homes’ are incapable or unwillling to ‘home’ school. So it is ‘not’ a debate about the relative value of home schooling over institutional settings. I’d wager that most kids are getting next to no schooling and I think that all kids need that social interaction. Not sure that I’d put kids back in clustered settings. It is inevitable that a mass contamination event will occur in one of these schools, and it will most likely impact an economically challenged area. The kids will survive, but they’ll infect the adults who would not fair as well.

When you're averaging 50K new cases per day, that is not the time to cram kids together. The Feds have collectively lost their minds. 

My kids are getting plenty of social interaction. They are hanging with their usual small circle of friends, which is what all kids usually do. No one "needs" the interaction of a hundred plus kids in the hallway. Our high school has 2000 students, I have no idea how they are going to pull this off.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, RandyH 000 said:

This should not be a problem. For any of the samples to be valid they too must not be contaminated. The staff is trained in sterile procedures to get good samples and keep themselves, their work spaces and others free from cross contamination. The ‘sterile’ procedures are foundational, the same procedures used to establish and sustain sterile fields anywhere.

45 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

Of course you realize that they’re discussing children whose ‘homes’ are incapable or unwillling to ‘home’ school. So it is ‘not’ a debate about the relative value of home schooling over institutional settings.

Of course I realize that. We home schooled, and my kids still had plenty of social interaction. Having been a product of public education, I don't give that much credit to the social interaction one gets in a public school setting. And that isn't the teacher's fault.

• dtel locked this topic