Covid19 redux

Bosco-d-gama

There are challenges, no doubt about it -- but this is really a non-starter. My real issue is this: what did they think was going to happen, and what in the hell have they been doing all summer?

• Like 1

Allow for those who want to do virtual school to do so. That will reduce the number of kids actually present while allowing for parents to return to work.  Many schools here in Florida were overcrowded before this. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Deang said:

what in the hell have they been doing all summer?

This is the classic band aid scenario.  Pull it off slowly (open in stages) and hurt a little for a long time or rip it off fast (open it up all at once) hurt a lot and get it over with.  The problem is that there are some who want to do it slowly and some that want to do it quickly.  The issue is that they've been trying a little of this and a little of that.

56 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

My brother has had it as well as several friends.  It's horrible.  Can't stream squat.

Meanwhile, have not experienced

anything detrimental, other than latency, which is not a real problem other than with gaming.

Was just looking at Hughes net Gen 5.

Satellite internet aside, would guess that brothers use Satellite TV for news, entertainment.etc.

Or, the OTA for their local stations.

PBS, and other networks in the digital domain have channels that could be used in lieu of classroom.

Smart phone or home computer provide the loop back to the virtual classroom.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, billybob said:

other than with gaming.

I was never a gamer; but since I spend so much time at home these days, the thought has crossed my mind about getting some sort of game system.  I'd probably use it for a golf or baseball game sort of thing.  no idea which system to buy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pinball_pw said:

Allow for those who want to do virtual school to do so. That will reduce the number of kids actually present while allowing for parents to return to work.  Many schools here in Florida were overcrowded before this. 

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

I was never a gamer; but since I spend so much time at home these days, the thought has crossed my mind about getting some sort of game system.  I'd probably use it for a golf or baseball game sort of thing.  no idea which system to buy. 

Me either but, my nephew might.

• Like 1

Another option is platforms like Zoom or even dongle your phone to a larger monitor. 

For the willing there is a way.

Video Conferencing years ago was enabled through VOIP, or landline, satellite audio subcarriers.

No latency to speak of or environmental attenuation using C-Band systems.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, billybob said:

Another option is platforms like Zoom or even dongle your phone to a larger monitor. 

For the willing there is a way.

Video Conferencing years ago was enabled through VOIP, or landline.

No latency to speak of or environmental attenuation using C-Band systems.

gave you a like even though I have no idea what language you're speaking.  I'm SO not a tech person. I once got worried because I was afraid either my guitar or amp was damaged.  took me about 15 minutes of checking everything before I realized that I plugged into the amp but not the guitar. wait, I did solve that problem, so maybe I am tech savvy after all. I think I'll open up my own troubleshooting business. I'll be the "Is it plugged in?" guy. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BigStewMan said:

gave you a like even though I have no idea what language you're speaking.  I'm SO not a tech person.

You or I do not need to be techs

nowadays, thank goodness. Basically plug and play. You know more than you know...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

Our close friend has tested positive for covid19. We’ve not been near her so we’re not in peril. It’s sad to know somebody who’s facing this problem. 

I hope she is okay.  I'm actually surprised that, other than a few on the forum here, I haven't known anyone else that has had it. 

• Like 1

• dtel locked this topic