Covid19 redux

Bosco-d-gama

Here’s the height of hypocrisy. The fed nursing-home survey system is finding nursing homes deficient in their infection control policies and is handing out citations wholesale. And the nursing home association is claiming that the survey system is ‘flawed’. 

So here’s the deal. The same nursing home industry had petitioned the gov’t to review operational guidelines to qualify for Medicare reimbursement. These are the guidelines surveyors use to certify a facility. Often the same guidelines serve as benchmark guidelines for states and other 3rd party payers. Well the Trump admin accommodated the industry and examined those guidelines (with nursing home input) and made all kinds of ‘cost’ saving changes so the nursing homes could have ways to save $$. 

One of the items changed was infection control. Under the old rules nursing homes were required to have a professional employee on site at least ‘part time’ whose job it was to manage infection control. That was changed to say that a nursing home only needed to have “sufficient” infection control policies in place. That way ‘no’ employee would be needed, just sufficient infection control policies in place.

Anyone who knows hospital administrators knows that given discretion over spending that they will cut budget to a patient endangering level. This is done at every level of healthcare delivery but especially in long term care where reimbursement is limited. And that’s what they did. They certainly did not improve infection management but they did save money (as they’d planned on). And how do you tell if infection control is sufficient? The most telling indicator is how well they control an infection - like covid19. And we all have seen how poorly that has turned out. And now it is time to pay the piper.

It is a classic case of be careful what you ask for. 

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/top-nursing-home-executive-blames-flawed-survey-system-for-scathing-gao-report-on-lapses-in-infection-prevention

• Like 3

Two watched states, TX and FL.  16 and 4 deaths respectively.  Let's see if these get revised up in the next couple of days.  Considering they opening up, significantly, we should see a dismal June.

I wish the case count mattered.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pzannucci said:

Two watched states, TX and FL.  16 and 4 deaths respectively.  Let's see if these get revised up in the next couple of days.  Considering they opening up, significantly, we should see a dismal June.

I don't trust any numbers anymore, and since the CDC is no longer working independently without WH interference, I'm done with them too.

All one can do at this point is take of yourself, because you're not going to get any help from anyone else.

• Like 3

What will we have learned from the covid19 pandemic? Assuming we do finally get covid19 corralled up and contained what will humanity have gained from the experience?

I think that the healthcare community will better understand its weaknesses to deal with such diseases. During the Ebola epidemic when we brought just a few active cases into the country I cringed. Unlike the leadership that facilitated this action I understood completely how poorly our acute care systems would manage such a virulent contagion. And I was correct. Fortunately we did not import any additional Ebola cases into America. We did not have to trial our systems with that monster. Ebola makes covid19 look like a hangnail. This time our healthcare systems did have to confront the pathogen and it did demonstrate our weaknesses and our strengths. Covid19 has given our healthcare systems a wake-up call for infectious disease. We will be better prepared in the future because of covid19.

What about the public in general? Here I am less optimistic. In those cities impacted by covid19 people will understand the true terror of the disease. There will be familiar faces missing. There will be stories shared 1st hand. There will be an on-going impact of the disease itself as its long term effects become manifested. These people will now know the meaning of contagion and will fear it. But elsewhere, the places where covid19 has been just a news story and an inconvenience, the population is far less personally knowledgeable. They did not see the disease because we hid the disease. They did not see or know the sick and the dead. As far as they know their rights got trampled on for not a ‘good’ enough reason. They do not know infectious disease nor will they respect such a future contagion. 

So we will have these 2 extreme’s and the variations in the middle. Because of these experiences people will pass along different memories of covid19 to their heirs. When the next pandemic arises we will see this expressed in how serious a deadly contagion will be managed.

What have you learned from covid19?

https://theconversation.com/as-collective-memory-fades-so-will-our-ability-to-prepare-for-the-next-pandemic-137370

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Deang said:

I don't trust any numbers anymore, and since the CDC is no longer working independently without WH interference, I'm done with them too.

All one can do at this point is take of yourself, because you're not going to get any help from anyone else.

A mess at the start and a mess currently.  Too bad you can't trust anything that has to do with money.

As you said, take care of yourself because nobody else is going to.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

What about the public in general? Here I am less optimistic. In those cities impacted by covid19 people will understand the true terror of the disease. There will be familiar faces missing. There will be stories shared 1st hand. There will be an on-going impact of the disease itself as its long term effects become manifested. These people will now know the meaning of contagion and will fear it. But elsewhere, the places where covid19 has been just a news story and an inconvenience, the population is far less personally knowledgeable. They did not see the disease because we hid the disease. They did not see or know the sick and the dead. As far as they know their rights got trampled on for not a ‘good’ enough reason. They do not know infectious disease nor will they respect such a future contagion. 

Spot on. It really is.

My area is terrible. Many are largely treating it as a joke.

I work for the DOD, which has mandated masks on DOD installations. I've been mostly teleworking, but have to go in a couple of times a week, because there are some things I just can't do from home. You really have to own your six feet, and I've had to tell several - "Hey,  if you don't put on a mask, I'm not working in the Comm Room with you, sorry bud".

• Like 1

Where does the idiocy end?

This is another slap in the face to the taxpayer.

The provincial government of Ontario is giving half a BILLION dollars to the Ontario Lottery and Gaming corporation.

The company that controls the “tax on stupid people” needs a bailout...

Up here our lottery machines are bilingual too.

When you scan your ticket and you lose, the computer generated voice jilts you in both English and French.

Hey! Lotto bandits!

”Peaux cadeaux!”

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, pzannucci said:

Would be nice to get some data you could hang your hat on.

It matters but sometimes it

seems like in Florida, you are just a number. There was a recent shakeup I posted about the person

who was relieved of her job on her project.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, geoff. said:

The provincial government of Ontario is giving half a BILLION dollars to the Ontario Lottery and Gaming corporation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, billybob said:

There was a recent shakeup I posted about the person who was relieved of her job on her project.

Right, she made the mistake of opening her mouth.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/05/19/florida-covid-19-coronavirus-data-researcher-out-state-reopens/5218897002/

"Jones had worked with the Department of Health as a geospatial analyst and then a Geographic Information System (GIS) manager since since 2018. She was enrolled in doctoral studies in Geography from the fall semester of 2016 through spring 2018 at Florida State University. She holds a masters of science degree in geography and mass communication from Louisiana State University and a bachelors in Journalism and Geography from Syracuse University. The Department of Health has so far not replied to request for comment."

When they finally did respond, they said she was fired because of repeated disciplinary issues, blah, blah. Wow, then why did you promote her and put in charge of the whole thing?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Deang said:

Right, she made the mistake of opening her mouth.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/05/19/florida-covid-19-coronavirus-data-researcher-out-state-reopens/5218897002/

"Jones had worked with the Department of Health as a geospatial analyst and then a Geographic Information System (GIS) manager since since 2018. She was enrolled in doctoral studies in Geography from the fall semester of 2016 through spring 2018 at Florida State University.

She holds a masters of science degree in geography and mass communication from Louisiana State University and a bachelors in Journalism and Geography from Syracuse University. 

The Department of Health has so far not replied to request for comment."

When they finally did respond, they said she was fired because of repeated disciplinary issues, blah, blah. Wow, then why did you promote her and put in charge of the whole thing?

Hate to use the P word but, there are alot of I'll call it BS have seen and heard from working members of this state. Young and inexperienced with the power that be. She didn't want to go along.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geoff. said:

Up here our lottery machines are bilingual too.

When you scan your ticket and you lose, the computer generated voice jilts you in both English and French.

Hey! Lotto bandits!

”Peaux cadeaux!”

Good thing you aren't seeing Trillions go out like in the US.  And for what?

5 minutes ago, tube fanatic said:

As usual, FDA is protecting industry to the possible detriment of the public (the document itself can be accessed by clicking on the link in the second paragraph of the article below):

https://snacksafely.com/2020/05/the-fda-has-relaxed-labeling-requirements-under-covid-19-what-it-means-for-the-food-allergy-community/

Maynard

Yes, as typical, the govt making all the right moves.  😵

• dtel locked this topic