Covid19 redux

Bosco-d-gama

10 hours ago, mungkiman said:

This country just set a record for the largest number of new Covid-19 cases in a day since this pandemic began.

USA! USA! USA!

Meanwhile, this Oregon county has chosen to allow certain individuals who do not have medical issues to ignore the state mandate for mask use.  Why hasn’t the Governor put a stop to this immediately?  The political side of the virus is winning out.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/24/us/oregon-county-people-of-color-mask-trnd/index.html

Maynard

11 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

All because working people need to make a living.  They need to get their priorities straight.

While that's true, I attribute some of the recent spike to idiots congregating at beaches/parks.rivers etc starting around Memorial day.

The resurgence of covid19 is not solely an American situation. Covid19 is now just part of humanities subset of pathogens. Until we find ways to prevent it medically we get to rely upon individuals to apply the knowledge given them on how best to contain the virus. If they are irresponsible, stupid or skeptically in denial and facilitate the spread of covid19 they should be made to prepare the dead for burial. Maybe THEN they’d gain more respect for such a nasty organism

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53175459

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

The resurgence of covid19 is not solely an American situation. Covid19 is now just part of humanities subset of pathogens. Until we find ways to prevent it medically we get to rely upon individuals to apply the knowledge given them on how best to contain the virus. If they are irresponsible, stupid or skeptically in denial and facilitate the spread of covid19 they should be made to prepare the dead for burial. Maybe THEN they’d gain more respect for such a nasty organism

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53175459

What is your opinion on the death rate dropping in the US even though the infection rate is rising?  Better treatments?  More accurate tallying as to what is actually a virus death?  It seems counter intuitive that this is happening.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/dr-oz-covid-19-americans-sloppy-virus-not-done

5 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

What is your opinion on the death rate dropping in the US even though the infection rate is rising?  Better treatments?  More accurate tallying as to what is actually a virus death?  It seems counter intuitive that this is happening.

In areas where the covid19 resurgence is occurring the rates of hospitalization and deaths are increasing. If the rate of demise is less than before it will be because medicine has learned how to better manage cases and that the health systems are not (as yet) overwhelmed with the acutely ill. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mungkiman said:

The handling and results appear to be quite different.

VS Europe.png

First, the number of new cases is stated as a quantity and not a percentage of the population.  Second, if it is true that we are testing more extensively, our numbers are going to be higher.

In other words, that graph really doesn't tell much of a story by itself.

12 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

And what? It’s an on-going pandemic and yes America leads to pack in new infections. Izzat what you want me to say?

I'm not asking you to say anything. Mostly I was trying to demonstrate the differences in resurgence that seem uniquely American at this point, at least when compared to the European Union.

1 minute ago, Jeff Matthews said:

First, the number of new cases is stated as a quantity and not a percentage of the population.  Second, if it is true that we are testing more extensively, our numbers are going to be higher.

In other words, that graph really doesn't tell much of a story by itself.

Except that the European Union has 446 million people...

Just now, mungkiman said:

I'm not asking you to say anything. Mostly I was trying to demonstrate about the differences in resurgence that seem uniquely American at this point, at least when compared to the European Union.

Let me sum it up for you:  "Garbage in.  Garbage out."  

People don't even agree, or have the same protocols, for testing or reporting.  This is a statistician's nightmare.

• dtel locked this topic