Covid19 redux

Bosco-d-gama

My boss is back from Orlando, but keeping himself at home for two weeks just to be sure.

On my way home last night my other co-worker called and he has to stay out for two weeks. He was at one of our residences that just had a positive show up. Fortunately, he and the boss can do a lot of work remotely. That leaves me here to do physical work if needed, i.e., hardware replacements, cabling, setting up new hardware. We have 350+ computers online right now, and most of those are remote locations doing vpn connections into our servers.

1 hour ago, tube fanatic said:

now Bubonic plague in Colorado!  I can’t wait to find out what’s next......

We are likely to get more in the world as the north heats up and the permafrost starts thawing. That's been a worry for a number of years.

Deb's test came back negative. They did a deep clean on her building and everyone is in the process of getting tested. We're relieved for sure, but not real hip on the idea of her going back into that place.

Family meeting yesterday to talk about school. I want to hold off and watch Florida. Ohio and Florida are supposed to open the same week. I think it's going to fail spectacularly.

Here pretty soon it's going to be out of control again. I predict a new round of lock downs, mandatory masks, and protests by the "your lives don't matter" bunch.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Marvel said:

That leaves me here to do physical work if needed, i.e., hardware replacements, cabling, setting up new hardware. We have 350+ computers online right now, and most of those are remote locations doing vpn connections into our servers.

Nothing about that sounds fun.

6 minutes ago, Deang said:

I think it's going to fail spectacularly.

I would agree with that.  My daughter had move to a new location right as this was breaking out. In speaking with school officials, they decided to just let him sit out the rest of the year (which we are past now), but no word on what's ahead for where she is.

13 minutes ago, Deang said:

Deb's test came back negative. They did a deep clean on her building and everyone is in the process of getting tested. We're relieved for sure, but not real hip on the idea of her going back into that place.

Family meeting yesterday to talk about school. I want to hold off and watch Florida. Ohio and Florida are supposed to open the same week. I think it's going to fail spectacularly.

Here pretty soon it's going to be out of control again. I predict a new round of lock downs, mandatory masks, and protests by the "your lives don't matter" bunch.

Glad to hear your good news. It does seriously look like avoiding covid19 is going to come down to individual plans. All levels of gov’t have ‘waffled’ their containment efforts in to ‘free fall’ failure. It is looking more and more like some insane Hollywood horror script come to life.

States are reporting that the mean age for critical covid19 cases is lowering. In other words covid19 is putting younger people in ICUs more frequently. The dynamics as to why are complex but medicine has identified one foundational relationship. Smoking and vaping.....  any sort of inhalant history places a covid19 patient at a greater risk of progressing into more dire conditions. 

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/507131-smoking-habits-double-number-of-young-people-vulnerable-to-severe-covid-19

Reopening schools in Florida while looking at the present state of

conditions in Florida, has to be one

of the most ludicrous and asinine

mistakes in the history of mankind.

Can we have a repreive please.

1 minute ago, billybob said:

Reopening schools in Florida while looking at the present state of

conditions in Florida, has to be one

of the most ludicrous and asinine

mistakes in the history of mankind.

Devils advocate here for a moment.  How do you propose that the surmount these obstacles of virtual schooling at home?

What do parents ( or single parents) do when they have to work and can't stay home with their children?

What do you do for students who do not have internet?

What do you do for children who do not have computers?

• Like 2

The school thing to me seems almost impossible. How can they maintain the 6 ft. distance when they can't even maintain one inch? And on the bus? Even the urinals are not 6 ft. apart. And the cafeterias? At the minimum they would have to go to three shifts to establish the 6 foot distance. So whose kids will be on the night shift?

JJK

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CECAA850 said:

Devils advocate here for a moment.  How do you propose that the surmount these obstacles of virtual schooling at home?

What do parents ( or single parents) do when they have to work and can't stay home with their children?

What do you do for students who do not have internet?

What do you do for children who do not have computers?

Thanks, use the money to assist with the, all of the above that will be saved by keeping the school system closed indefinitely.

5 minutes ago, billybob said:

Thanks, use the money to assist with the, all of the above

I just don't see that as an option.  Even if parents were paid to stay at home with their children, who is going to do the work that they're not doing now?  Free computers and internet?  What about children who live where there is no internet?  Many rural areas have either no service or horrible service.  IT support for parents who are not computer savvy?  Interpreters?  I'm extremely skeptical that virtual schooling is a viable option.

3 hours ago, Deang said:

I wonder how many workers are going to the doctor trying to get some mental health disability due to the fear of the virus?  

I no longer work; but can imagine the stress of having to go into an office and spend nine hours in that Petri dish. 

Someone thought that this would be gone by now. Remember when some of us said it would take a year or longer. It's not going to be fully under control until there is a vaccine. Period.

They've had months to prepare, and the best they could come up with is "put masks on them and make sure they don't bump into each other in the hallways". The great majority of kids will be fine, but teachers, parents, and grandparents are going to die. Anyone that doesn't accept this is in a serious state of denial. It will last a month or a bit more before they realize they have to shut down. 'Merica.

Older kids who can do virtual learning from home without supervision - should be. This would free up space in facilities for the smaller kids who can't stay at home while their parents work. They could space all of them out, and do daily temperature checks, etc. Elementary kids don't run the hallways, etc. They could compress schedules, and do half in the morning and half in the afternoons. You know, almost ANYTHING is better than this ridiculous "plan" they are going with which is really no plan at all. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Deang said:

Older kids who can do virtual learning from home without supervision - should be.

Yes, the problem will be mostly elementary school kids however not many kids can actually be truly studious without supervision.  Especially with their phone in their hands.

• Like 1

• dtel locked this topic