Covid19 redux

Bosco-d-gama

Just now, Jeff Matthews said:

If several thousand dollars is indeed being paid for each patient a doc says died from Covid, tell me you at least see a motive to provide false official data.

I don't believe that is happening. Is that happening? And if so, what would be the point?

People who are symptomatic and admitted are tested. If they test positive, they should be coded for COVID-19. I don't think anyone could get away with falsifying that kind of data, at least not for long. That's the problem with conspiracy theories -- it requires that people keep their mouths shut -- and they rarely can.

2 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

A nickname that i really don’t like either ... so please don’t ask why i used that when i joined this forum back in 2006 (i think).  Can i claim pre-covid 19 insanity?  

Change it!

• Moderators
I don't believe that is happening. Is that happening? And if so, what would be the point?

People who are symptomatic and admitted are tested. If they test positive, they should be coded for COVID-19. I don't think anyone could get away with falsifying that kind of data, at least not for long. That's the problem with conspiracy theories -- it requires that people keep their mouths shut -- and they rarely can.

FOLLOW THE MONEY!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

If several thousand dollars is indeed being paid for each patient a doc says died from Covid, tell me you at least see a motive to provide false official data.

I get that part, had many, many cases involving coding. Fine line between being creative and fraud, we call it "white collar crime."

They are saying the "deaths" dropped from 60 plus thousand down to thirty something thousand. But if you read this from CDC site is seems pretty clear to me [Emphasis in red, underlined, is mine]:

Understanding the Numbers: Provisional Death Counts and COVID-19

Provisional death counts deliver our most comprehensive picture of lives lost to COVID-19. These estimates are based on death certificates, which are the most reliable source of data and contain information not available anywhere else, including comorbid conditions, race and ethnicity, and place of death.

How it works

The National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) uses incoming data from death certificates to produce provisional COVID-19 death counts. These include deaths occurring within the 50 states and the District of Columbia. COVID-19 deaths are identified using a new ICD–10 code. When COVID-19 is reported as a cause of death – or when it is listed as a “probable” or “presumed” cause — the death is coded as U07.1. This can include cases with or without laboratory confirmation.

Why these numbers are different

Provisional death counts may not match counts from other sources, such as media reports or numbers from county health departments. Our counts often track 1–2 weeks behind other data for a number of reasons: Death certificates take time to be completed. There are many steps involved in completing and submitting a death certificate. Waiting for test results can create additional delays. States report at different rates. Currently, 63% of all U.S. deaths are reported within 10 days of the date of death, but there is significant variation among jurisdictions. It takes extra time to code COVID-19 deaths. While 80% of deaths are electronically processed and coded by NCHS within minutes, most deaths from COVID-19 must be coded manually, which takes an average of 7 days. Other reporting systems use different definitions or methods for counting deaths.

8 minutes ago, Deang said:

Seems it's true: https://amp-usatoday-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/3000638001?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#aoh=15889086239064&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.usatoday.com%2Fstory%2Fnews%2Ffactcheck%2F2020%2F04%2F24%2Ffact-check-medicare-hospitals-paid-more-covid-19-patients-coronavirus%2F3000638001%2F

If you want to believe this does not skew reporting, that's your prerogative.  

6 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

Probably not a good day to do that ... i’ve already shown that i don’t always use good judgment. 

it's a super cool name , keep it

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

A nickname that i really don’t like either ... so please don’t ask why i used that when i joined this forum back in 2006 (i think).  Can i claim pre-covid 19 insanity?  

You were in the Carolina's then. Probably all that vinegar.

• Haha 1

• Moderators
Exactly right... to Mar-a-Lago

Of course it does silly boy. How sad for you to be so bitter.

When you donate your paycheck you have to make up for it some way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

You were in the Carolina's then. Probably all that vinegar.

Actually never been there ... work sent me to a school in Norfolk, VA for a couple of months once. That’s my only trip to the South. Nothing against it, just avoided ever having to live there because of the humidity makes my Asthma really mad. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

So I think this is the fundamental issue. CDC has always tracked "provisional death" counts on a lot of things, HIV, flu, measles, whooping cough (pertussis), heart disease, cancer, whatever. Provisional deaths is for stastical tracking, not medical management.

How on earth did Provisional Deaths get conflated by (media, the herd, any idiot with a Facebook account) into this is data used for medical management? Or is that just the normal mental process of the average conspiratist? [Is that a word? It is now].

My question is, what data do the virologists and epidemiologists who are trying to track and manage the disease use? Certainly not data that lags by more than two weeks?

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

Actually never been there ... work sent me to a school in Norfolk, VA for a couple of months once. That’s my only trip to the South. Nothing against it, just avoided ever having to live there because of the humidity makes my Asthma really mad. 

Didn't we send tapes down there once?

EDIt: Never mind, probably was Tarheel and Bluesboy, must have been the acid.

• Haha 1

• dtel locked this topic