Does large/small speaker settings on a receiver also apply to 2 channel stereo?

m00n

Good Question!

I found in my investigation of HT receivers and preamps this speaker stting functionality vaires widely between variuos manufacturers and models.

One of the things I liked about The Sherwood Newcastle HT preamp I have is you can do both. I am not sure how it is acheived but the manual says there is analog pass through for 3 of the analog inputs that do not go through the preamps DACs.

Functionality is such where you can defeat the sub, set the speakers to small or set them to large. This implies to me there is an anlog crossover in the design of the preamp, or maybe it is just BS and all signals go through the preamps DACs.

I prefer my RB5s set to large and the setting on the sub itself I set to around 50 hz.

Listenening over time convinced me the the RB5 sounded better in the 50-100hz range than the sub.

Hope this helps

Depends on the proccesor type. mine you can set for each imput and the manual tells me the woofer size for what it considers large and small. ei: 12 inch large 6 inch small.

I not 100% sure but i'm thinking it must somehow limit the low side as not to over extend a smaller woofer. But thats just a guess, i may be wrong. Anyone else ??

Moon your 2 channel settings for large or small will be the setting you have for surround,On some receivers even your output on your channels will be set off,I mean when you go back to stereo direct you will find your volume output will be less,So if you want more volume you will have to go back and manualy turn it up on adjustments for your mains.

yes it depends what the stereo mode does. if it doesn't create sub output from the sub out for 2-channel material, then its all moot & the processor will ignore the large/small setting & play just the fronts full-range.

if you play something w/ the LFE channel in whatever mode you'll get that LFE output from the sub out/sub because the processor doesn't create or redirect your LFE. its in the material.

moon, depends on the mode & what your dsp does or doesn't do w/ it. if you ever play 2.0 channel material (like a regular pcm music cd) & get sub output thru the sub out, then that means your dsp is creating it in that certain mode.

if you play this 2-channel source & get no sub output, then that mode is mostly or completely bypassing the dsp & you get output only from the 2 front speakers. some receivers call this mode "direct", some call it "stereo" - depends on the maker.

if you play 5.1 channel material the dsp isn't creating the LFE/.1 channel. the .1 channel is already there in the material. so if you put a 5.1 disc on a "direct" type mode that bypasses the dsp then you can still get whatever sub output from that .1/LFE channel, as well as full range from all the other channels.

iow, the bass management is done in the dsp. but most all receivers have some mode that bypasses the dsp & plays the material just as its decoded from the source w/ no further bass mgmt or processing.

moon, you should be able to relate. dsp=digital signal processor. i don't know as much as you on computers but i'd think of the dsp as the cpu. the algorithms for bass management & other processing functions are like its own little operating system.

iow, since its in the digital domain, the dsp is programmed by the makers on how to handle all those 1s & 0s. some like your HK allow adjustability of the crossover program in the dsp.