Front mounting the Klipschorn K400 horn?

JDJohnson

I’m soon building new top cabinets for my Klipschorns. Is it worth front mounting the mid K400 metal horn?

Klipsch front mounts their new Klipschorn tweeter horns. Why don’t they front mount their new mid horns too?

Has anyone front mounted the K400 and if so any good or bad results from doing so?

2 hours ago, soundbound said:

I’m soon building new top cabinets for my Klipschorns. Is it worth front mounting the mid K400 metal horn?

Klipsch front mounts their new Klipschorn tweeter horns. Why don’t they front mount their new mid horns too?

Has anyone front mounted the K400 and if so any good or bad results from doing so?

you should have said ---flush mounting  --------not front mounting -

• Like 1

It would make it a longer path for the mids if you moved it forward. I front mounted my k400 horns on my la scalas.

I will rout a piece for the front that will make them look flush.

• Like 1

It would make it a longer path for the mids if you moved it forward. I front mounted my k400 horns on my la scalas.

Ok, so sometimes I identify as stupid, but how does mounting the horn mouth to the front instead of the rear make the path LONGER? It just got more than 3/4” closer to your ear. Seems like a shorter path to me?????
  • Like 1

I'd leave the mounting as it is.  As you said, they didn't change this when they had a chance last year with the AK6, so there may be a reason.  Maybe secure mounting, pressed against the baffle board over the whole perimeter, may keep the horn from ringing.  So it could be important!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

flush mounting a k400 really looks good without a grille , on a LaScala --- but on a Khorn ,  you can't see it behind the grille -

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marvel said:

I front mounted my k400 horns on my la scalas.

I’ve been considering doing this to my Klipschorns with this project. Front mounting them, then a veneered piece around the tweeter and mid horns to make them look flush.

2 hours ago, soundbound said:

I’ve been considering doing this to my Klipschorns with this project. Front mounting them, then a veneered piece around the tweeter and mid horns to make them look flush.

Flush mounting them would increase the time alignment problem with the horns between midrange and Bass cabinets ever so slightly.

Roger

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

Flush mounting them would increase the time alignment problem with the horns between midrange and Bass cabinets ever so slightly.

Roger

Since he is building new tops, he can just move the front panel back 3/4" to match if everyone is thinking that amount of time domain change matters.  Might be better anyway since there will be removable grills added which will be adding depth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pzannucci said:

Since he is building new tops, he can just move the front panel back 3/4" to match if everyone is thinking that amount of time domain change matters.  Might be better anyway since there will be removable grills added which will be adding depth.

Why not just get a pair of TSCM K-400 horns then, they are surface mount with a 2 inch throat for better drivers or a K-260 horn, they are surface mount, 2 inch throat and go low enough to cover the lowest male vocals which are 300 Hz.

• Like 1