K-Horns, MD

John Chi-town

How come so many of these for sale ads lately for older heritage klipsch speakers mention what the current new ones cost? They are completely different speakers & their price has nothing to do with what 20+ year old speakers are worth!  It's like the barret jackson syndrome for cars, someone sees a super rare mustang or high dollar professional restoration & suddely thinks their high mile rusted out run of the mill mustang is worth anywhere near those prices, or because they did a cheap engine rebuild & repaint their car is at the same level as what sells on barret jackson to guys with more money than they know what to do with!  Cracks me up when I see some of the prices lately & almost always a reference to what the new ones cost.  Nice looking K-horns though...  

• Like 1

I agree with @EpicKlipschFan.  

Referencing the current new price makes as much sense as going into great detail about the history and specifications.  If you don’t already know all that, you’re unlikely to spend even a reasonable two grand for decades old speakers.  How many clueless individuals surfing used audio ads, while waiting out the pandemic, say to their significant other, “Hey Helen, look at these cool huge twenty-year old speakers; never heard of them, but, if new ones are $15,000, these must be a steal at $5,000, let’s take a chance?”

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Now, this seller is not delusional.

I don't know if you're joking or not, since the $1,900 asking price is about 1/3 the price of New Cornwalls at $6,000/pair, which is the same proportion of the Walnut Khorns at $5,000 vs $15,000 New. Are they both 20 years old??

Most experienced sellers on CL and FB MP know to ask quite a bit more than they are willing to take. Why? Most interested buyers (including flippers) low ball them expecting to make a "score". Offers are made before seeing the items in person and it's all part of price negotiation. If they happen to sell for asking price, so what.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk