Help: Heresy and Receiver Combination

lakedmb

Hey everyone -

I think I may be over thinking this way too much at this point, so I need a little guidance on a receiver that'll work in my 2.1 setup.  I looked heavily at the Marantz NR-1200 because it seems to hit every checkbox, but then when chatting with customer service at Accessories4Less, the gentleman made it sound like that receiver wouldn't do well with the Heresy's.  His recommendation was the Denon DRA-800H, but I'm nervous about the preout and input limitations on that model.  When researching it seems that a lot of people recommend Yamaha and Marantz. 

I've listed some info below that may help with suggestions.  

2.1 Setup:

• Heresy II
  • SVS sub
  • 50/50 music and streaming movies/tv

Need:

• Phono Input (MM)
  • Remote control ability
  • Sub Out
  • Preouts (for possible amp upgrade down the road)

Want:

• HDMI (if possible, but not a deal breaker)

Room size:

• 14 x 15

Budget:

• ~$500 
  • Used, refurb, or new does not make a difference

Thanks everyone.  If this needs to be posted in a different forum please let me know.  I though this would be appropriate since it's a 2.1 setup and Heritage speakers.

15 minutes ago, lakedmb said:

I looked heavily at the Marantz NR-1200 because it seems to hit every checkbox, but then when chatting with customer service at Accessories4Less, the gentleman made it sound like that receiver wouldn't do well with the Heresy's. 

That Marantz will do fine with your Heresy IIs.  If it checks all boxes then get it.

After some time if you feel you want/need more grunt, then add a nice stereo amp.

Bill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just a word of caution about Accessories4Less customer service. I have purchased several items from them over the years and always had a positive experience, except one time.

I purchased an expensive Yamaha integrated from them and it would enter protective shut down after a couple of minutes of play. The customer service guy at Accessories4Less tried to tell me that it was because my Klipschorns were so hard to drive. I.E. he really didn't know squat about Klipsch speakers. You should get some good advice here however.

For $500 I would recommend finding a used Integra DHC-80.3 pre/pro ($350?) and combine that with a Crown D-75A amp ($100?). I use that combo currently with my Klischorns and it sounds great, has good room correction, and will decode SACDs allowing you to hook a cheap Sony Blu-ray player into it to act as transport. It also has a phono input, though I have never used it since I have a nice tube phono preamp.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On the chance you did not know - Marantz & Denon are owned my the same company. The Marantz line is considered the higher end of the two and typically offer more features but the core electronics are for the most part the same for each others sister models.

12 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

No, not lately.  Denon landed 5 in the top 7 from What Hi Fi.

https://www.whathifi.com/us/best-buys/home-cinema/best-home-cinema-amplifiers

Maybe I should have worded it this way – the company owning the two usually has a higher price point on the Marantz line when comparing a Denon similar model.

The Marantz has more futureproof features than the Denon. 

I use a 40W Marantz with my H1s, and I can make the house shake and blow the tiles off the roof, no worries there. 

Denon sounds great too. The Marantz has two amps, one for each channel. Denon has a 'symmetrical design', which probably means the same thing... 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, lakedmb said:

Any reason to think that the Marantz SR5013 would be a better option?  The price is about the same.

If you are going to use it for HT also, then maybe it would be a better option.  One thing though, your stereo playback may be compromised a bit if you go AVR.

Bill

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/28/2020 at 10:54 AM, lakedmb said:

Hey everyone -

I think I may be over thinking this way too much at this point, so I need a little guidance on a receiver that'll work in my 2.1 setup.  I looked heavily at the Marantz NR-1200 because it seems to hit every checkbox, but then when chatting with customer service at Accessories4Less, the gentleman made it sound like that receiver wouldn't do well with the Heresy's.  His recommendation was the Denon DRA-800H, but I'm nervous about the preout and input limitations on that model.  When researching it seems that a lot of people recommend Yamaha and Marantz. 

2.1 Setup:

• Heresy II
  • SVS sub

Need:

• Phono Input (MM)
  • Remote control ability
  • Sub Out

Want:

Room size:

• 14 x 15

Budget:

• ~$500 

Thanks everyone.  If this needs to be posted in a different forum please let me know.  I though this would be appropriate since it's a 2.1 setup and Heritage speakers.

On 4/28/2020 at 10:54 AM, lakedmb said:

Hey everyone -

2.1 Setup:

• Heresy II
  • SVS sub

Need:

• Phono Input (MM)
  • Remote control ability
  • Sub Out

Want:

Room size:

• 14 x 15

Budget:

• ~$500 

any good Japanese made receiver is going to be ok for the  H1  and 100 watts per channel , or more  is best   for added  headroom   and less distortion if  played very loud   ------you can also consider used multi-channel amps  that can deliver about 100 watts  in  2 channel stereo  ,   and they are quite inexpensive -

• Like 1

Yamaha R-N 602 is $599 new. It has much of what you are looking for. You can control many of the functions from your cell phone. 
I have the earlier model the R- N 500 running my Heresy IVs. It is quite adequate and very versatile. 

• Like 1