Network issues

Schu

does anyone know why my system seems to drop in performance almost daily. I goes from 250mbps down to 25mbps after a day or so... sometimes more than once a day.

I unplug the modem and router and everything is back to normal. I only use wifi for tablets, my desktop and TV are hard wired via Ethernet.

am I having a piece of hardware beginning to fail?

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49829819386_939eef133c_k.jpg

Is the equipment provided by your ISP? They're likely ******* with you in order to load balance better on their network at large. It's possible that the changes are undone when you reboot that gear.

Sounds silly, but I've had Asus routers in the past and they became more unreliable over time. Those things get hot, chips break down over time, etc - especially crammed into a little network cubby in a desert house.

• Like 1

One other thing that you might be able to help me with... I recently began using a Proxy... nord vpn (this is a separate issue because the performance drop issue happening above was happening long before I began using nord).

Now almost every 30 minutes to an hour I get a signal drop that logs me off my network... I wait 2-3 minutes and everything is back to normal. I tried disabling the firewall and it had no effect... whats my issue?

2 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

It's also possible that NPR has called in a few favors to disrupt your network connectivity in retaliation to the constant facebook harassment. :P

hahahaha... probably true that. I need to curtail my criticism.

49 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Absolutely no idea.. I haven't messed with a proxy in ages. Why not just run the nord VPN client?

I am running a NORD client. I can connect and disconnect as needed.

11 minutes ago, babadono said:

I saw an ad on the internet for a gizmo,wireless router I think, that blocks your ISP's ability to down clock your service. Who knows if it really works.

Was just a pop up ad on youtube IIRC.

The Youtube Throttling Test is an unscientific (but easy) way to quickly tell if your ISP is limiting your video bandwidth.

How to perform the test:

1. Open a 4k video like this one
  2. Make sure you select 4k resolution from the settings cog
  3. Play the video at full screen resolution and see if it buffers more than once
  4. If it does buffer, drop the resolution and retry.
  5. Repeat until you reach the resolution that doesn’t require buffering. This is your effective video bandwidth.