K77 Replacement Diaphragms

Robbie010

On certain tracks I am hearing some funny cracking coming from one of my K77 tweeters and I am assuming they may be in need of new diaphragms.

Looking on ebay, there are various different diaphragms available (Electro-Voice, Simply Speakers, generic chinese etc) and ranging in price, can anyone provide guidance on which are acceptable replacements?

Obviously, cost is a factor and I am based in the UK, which greatly increases shipping and import costs, but on balance I would like to get the right replacement first time.

Thanks.

25 minutes ago, Robbie010 said:

On certain tracks I am hearing some funny cracking coming from one of my K77 tweeters and I am assuming they may be in need of new diaphragms.

Looking on ebay, there are various different diaphragms available (Electro-Voice, Simply Speakers, generic chinese etc) and ranging in price, can anyone provide guidance on which are acceptable replacements?

Obviously, cost is a factor and I am based in the UK, which greatly increases shipping and import costs, but on balance I would like to get the right replacement first time.

Thanks.

I would try the generic chinese -----I never tried them , but I plan to  , and I would be very curious to see how they perform  - these diaphragms are not that hard to manufacture  , with the right tooling   ---all new diaphragms are aftermarket rated a 6.2 ohms just as the Chinese are ---the originals are nowhere to be found -

If they are original Electro Voice, then those are the real deal.  I would go for those first depending on price, I use to get them at a good price from a local EV dealer that had new old stock. If those weren't available, then I would order aftermarket and probably even try a different horn. 

35 minutes ago, The Dude said:

If they are original Electro Voice, then those are the real deal.  I would go for those first depending on price, I use to get them at a good price from a local EV dealer that had new old stock. If those weren't available, then I would order aftermarket and probably even try a different horn. 

I can get these on eBay at $50 a pair delivered. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161827860935

These seem like the right one. 

Those don't seem to be exact EV. Even in the description, they state that they use these with good results. Even being an EV authorized repair facility, doesn't mean they are using parts from EV. EV hasn't made those in years and probably just gave this company the blessing to use these.

I would probably opt for an aftermarket tweeter or contact Klipsch for options.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I agree with Jim.  You know what you receive from Bob Crites (site referenced by Jim above) will work and be within specifications.  Anything else for a K-77/T-35 is a crapshoot.

You might also consider replacing the K-77s with other tweeters, also available from Bob.  If you send an email to bobcrites@gmail.com, Bob will respond quickly to answer questions.  The time difference is ~6hrs.

On 4/28/2020 at 2:06 PM, Robbie010 said:

these are aftermarkets , same product as the chinese , DCR 6.2  OHMS   no difference , all aftermarket diaphragms are made in China with the same manufacturers , the cups all assembled are made in the Philippines using aftermarket diaphragms soldered to plastic cups , and these are the same as the K77F ----------there are no originals out there -or  very very few -------

On 5/8/2020 at 3:14 PM, JohnA said:

The replacement kit from Bob is your best bet.  No alignment worries.  Assured performance.

https://critesspeakers.com/klipsch_tweeters.html

^^^^👍

It’s my belief the kits sold by Bob @BEC are only those that pass his inspection and meet his specifications, many do not.  Bob can correct me if I am wrong.  Similarly, Klipsch is said to have tested the T-35s delivered by Electro-Voice, only designating the best as K-77s, the rejects were returned to E-V to be sold to those less demanding.  I would either replace a K-77 with a more modern tweeter, or spend the money to get a kit that meets Bob’s standards.  I do not pretend to be able to distinguish between a diaphragm from Simply Speakers, or one from Crites, but, if I’m investing my time and money, give me the confidence of dealing with Bob over a crapshoot elsewhere.

FWIW, in the 70s I blew the tweeters in my T-35s regularly.  A phone call to E-V on a Monday would deliver a replacement diaphragm by the following Thursday, along with an invoice for $17.00, IIRC.  I’d mail a check to 600 Cecil St., Buchanan, MI, and repeat the process the next time.  Don’t think that it was E-V’s fault I went through tweeters like that.  My four 8 ohm Speakerlab SKhorns, wired in parallel, two to a channel, drew 300 solid state watts/channel from a Dynaco ST-400 amp.  Without a tweeter protection circuit like the Zener in the Klipsch Type AA, the volume levels required to satisfy a gymnasium full of teenagers, was fatal for T-35s.

On 4/28/2020 at 1:02 PM, 000 said:

I would try the generic chinese -----I never tried them , but I plan to  , and I would be very curious to see how they perform  - these diaphragms are not that hard to manufacture  , with the right tooling   ---all new diaphragms are aftermarket rated a 6.2 ohms just as the Chinese are ---the originals are nowhere to be found -

lol. Where do I begin?

Just email Bob.

• Like 1