Center channel help please

Logan510

Last year I upgraded my AVR to a Denon X3500 after our Onkyo gave up the ghost so I decided to upgrade during last years Black Friday deals and got new mains:  R-820F, new rears: R-51M and a new sub: R-120SW.

We have a  a 12 year old Klipsch Synergy C2 and it's decent, but I have the itch to upgrade.

With my setup Klipsch recommends the R-34C, but reviews around the net vary. I wouldn't mind getting a RP600C or a RP500C but I wonder if that'll cause an issue with timbre matching.

I asked Klipsch tech support and they were pretty vague and said they wouldn't recommend it per se but that it wasn't a bad idea either......OK?

So I'm hoping people here with a lot more experience or similar setups can offer some advice.

Thank you

If you are going to upgrade would that be just the center or the whole speaker system? That matters since ideally you’d match the center with the mains. So if new mains, then go with the equivalent center. 

I never found a small horizontal center channel speaker that I liked.  I use three identical Klipsch towers left, center, and right.  Exact voice matching.  Sometimes I disable the center in my AVR which mixes center channel equally into left and right.  Sometimes two channel front sounds clearer.  My front left and right are only about 30 degrees apart from the main listening position.

I've found "timbre matching" to be overblown.  Ninety percent of movies/TV are dialog and 90% of dialog comes out of the center speaker.

Get the best center speaker you can afford.  Quality works every time its tried.  A high quality center speaker does not make the lessor sounding mains sound worse. 

Best:  RC-64 III  (if used either the RC-64 or RC-64 II would be great choices)

Close to best:  RP-600C or RP-504C.  Most who have heard both seem to prefer the 504C

I own the RC-64 III.  I also own the RP-600M, very close to the 600C.  I've not heard the 504C but those who own it give it top marks.