K-703-M vs K-702-M

bribassguy

Can anyone tell me the difference in the K-702 vs K-703 horns? 

The KP / KPT seem to reference the K703 & K703-M, K-702-M

The horn out of a CW4 has a sticker that says K-702 on the driver. Is that the assembly or horn or driver? 

Has anyone seen them side by side? 

Edited by bribassguy

The nomenclature is confusion to me... I seems like people are using the same "name" to refer to different parts interchangeably: 

Example: K604 (aka K602) Horn and K52 Driver I've see referenced as

a K61 assembly

a K52 assembly (horn +Driver) I guess people are reading the driver number?

a K52 horn (I guess people are reading driver number)

a K604 Horn 

a K602 Horn 

To futher confuse the matter some times it's just what it came out of aka KPTxxx Horn?

Can someone help clarify this? Is there a nomenclature decoder ???? 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bribassguy said:

Can anyone tell me the difference in the K-703 vs K-702 horns? 

The KP / KPT seem to reference the K703 & K703-M where as the home audio lists a K702 

Has anyone seen them side by side? 

There is a new 702 mid driver that recently came out in the new Cornwall that has added some confusion but typically the "m" on the horns stands for mumps.

Klipsch isn’t always all that consistent with its numbering/information...

The original K702 horn was, to the best of my recollection, a 703 with a tweeter mounting flange rather than the threaded driver mount

I know the molds for the 703 & 603 have been changed a few times over the years... even before the addition of the mumps. On the 703 this was mostly bracing to support the driver but when they stared using the 603 in the KPT line they added a large mounting flange so that it could be mounted to the same articulating bracket the 510 uses. 

When someone says K52 they are referring to what you see on the left... the K52H (right) is generally assumed to include the threaded snout because that is how the driver was first acquired, though technically the H just stands for Heppner (the same way the E in K33E just stand for Eminence).

E2FD954A-759D-49E4-A9E7-8DE48831C1D9.jpeg

• Like 1

The K52 (phase plug/diaphragm/magnet) was used in the K-53, K-57, K-58, K-59, K-61, and K-62 assemblies.

Side note: all of the assemblies above will use either a 701, 601 or 602 horn. The driver mounting flange on these horns is made/designed specifically for the K52. There have been attempt to throw adapters on this flange to mount std 1" drivers, this is ill-advised. Also, the snout on the K52H has changed over the years. The original metal snouts had an aperture of around 5/8" which matched the original K700 & K600 horns it was used on. Over the years this aperture was enlarged to mate to newer Tractrix horns

Looking at the spec sheets has me lost: What's this? 

The Cornwall iv  sticker says K-702 but in this case is it the horn or the driver? The sticker is on the driver... the spec sheet says K-702 1.75” (4.45cm) Polyimide diaphragm compression driver. but doesn't list the horn.

Klipsch Cornwall IV Floorstanding Speaker Spec Sheet

The only other reference i found for K-702 appears on a KPT-8060H, it says it uses One K-103-TI diaphragm compression driver on a K-702-M horn. 

KPT-8060H Spec Sheet

The Forte III specs say a K-70 1.75" titanium-diaphragm midrange compression driver on a new Tractrix K-703-M horn. 

http://assets.klipsch.com/product-specsheets/Forte-III-Spec-Sheet-v061.pdf

The KPT-1260H spec is a one K-703-G 1.75” titanium compression driver on a K-703-M horn. 

KPT-1260H Spec Sheet

Most other larger KPT use a  K-691 3" diaphragm compression driver. The large-format compression driver is mated to a 90° x 60° K-510 horn

K-702.JPG

5 hours ago, Alexander said:

is the k52 & k52h in fact are one and the same driver less the horn mounting method?

Yes. Though technically Klipsch does use the H any more... they would just say K52 w/snout and K52 w/o snout... or whatever. The "H" is just a remnant in nomenclature from it's origins. The K-52-H with the metal snout was the 1st iteration of this driver to make it to production. The very first models also had a separate metal phase plug and diaphragm. It was used on the K700 & K600 horns in the Heresy (w/ E2 network) and Cornwall (w/ B3 network). This was short lived however and disappeared with the advent of the K-53-K (K701 W/ K52) and K-57-K (K601 w/ K52) also used in the Heresy (w/ E2 network) and Cornwall (w/ B3 network) just before the HII and CWII came out. 

3 hours ago, bribassguy said:

The Cornwall IV  sticker says K-702 but in this case is it the horn or the driver? The sticker is on the driver... the spec sheet says K-702 1.75” (4.45cm) Polyimide diaphragm compression driver. but doesn't list the horn.

*Klipsch isn't always consistent with information/messaging... that just is what it is... you are correct that the copy does not list a horn but Roy Delgado has confirmed in this forum that the horn used in the CW4 is the K603M

The only other reference i found for K-702 appears on a KPT-8060H, it says it uses One K-103-TI diaphragm compression driver on a K-702-M horn. 

*Yes, that is a mumped version of the K-702 horn I posted earlier. Unlike the 703 it has a flange mount for a tweeter phase plug/diaphragm/magnet. In this case it is the same phase plug/diaphragm/magnet used in the HIII & CWIII

The Forte III specs say a K-70 1.75" titanium-diaphragm midrange compression driver on a new Tractrix K-703-M horn. 

*I'm pretty sure that is just a typo... it's widely known that the FIII midrange driver is a "K-70-G". You can find pictures on the forum...

The KPT-1260H spec is a one K-703-G 1.75” titanium compression driver on a K-703-M horn. 

*It actually says "One K-70-G 1.75” (44.45mm) titanium compression driver on a K-703-M horn" and this is identical to the aforementioned FIII midrange 

Most other larger KPT use a  K-691 3" diaphragm compression driver. The large-format compression driver is mated to a 90° x 60° K-510 horn

*KPT-310HF = K603 horn w/ K70G driver

Hopefully this helps...

4 hours ago, bribassguy said:

The Cornwall IV sticker says K-702 but in this case is it the horn or the driver? The sticker is on the driver... the spec sheet says K-702 1.75” (4.45cm) Polyimide diaphragm compression driver. but doesn't list the horn.

Klipsch Cornwall IV Floorstanding Speaker Spec Sheet

On 8/30/2019 at 7:44 PM, Chief bonehead said:

K702 midrange compression driver mates to a k603m horn. 

From the Cornwall IV thread in General Klipsch Info

This was in the CW IV thread... is it bad info? 

On 8/29/2019 at 9:20 PM, AHall said:

Klf30 horn is k703

Forte iii horn is k703m

Cornwall iv horn is k702

Kpt8060h horn is k702

Wasnt able to track the cf3/4 horn model down in the time I looked.