K-703-M vs K-702-M

bribassguy

What are the dimension of the K603 horn? Does it sit "inbetween" the 5xx and 7xx in size? 

Do the K5xx, K6xx, K7xx indicate XO point as in K510 can be XO at 600, K603 XO at 600? 

I miss the germans on stuff like this where part number means somethin 535 is a 5 Class with 3.5L, C350 is a C class with 3.5L. 

On 4/30/2020 at 7:53 AM, bribassguy said:

What are the dimension of the K603 horn? Does it sit "inbetween" the 5xx and 7xx in size? 

Do the K5xx, K6xx, K7xx indicate XO point as in K510 can be XO at 600, K603 XO at 600? 

The 603 horn is 13.5 x 9 almost the size as the k-510 which is 15x9

The 603 or CF horn has been called the poor-mans k-510. The numbers do typically correspond with frequency response.

On 4/29/2020 at 9:11 PM, bribassguy said:

This was in the CW IV thread... is it bad info? 

Klf30 horn is k703 *Correct (also KLF20 & CF2)

Forte iii horn is k703m *Correct

Cornwall iv horn is k702 *Incorrect **horn as stated by Roy is K603M and the driver is K702

Kpt8060h horn is k702 *Correct

Wasnt able to track the cf3/4 horn model down in the time I looked. *K603 horn was used in CF3 & CF4 models under the assembly # K63KN

Technically the 8060 is a K702M...

• 1 year later...
On 4/29/2020 at 2:42 PM, bribassguy said:

Looking at the spec sheets has me lost: What's this? 

The Cornwall iv  sticker says K-702 but in this case is it the horn or the driver? The sticker is on the driver... the spec sheet says K-702 1.75” (4.45cm) Polyimide diaphragm compression driver. but doesn't list the horn.

Klipsch Cornwall IV Floorstanding Speaker Spec Sheet

The only other reference i found for K-702 appears on a KPT-8060H, it says it uses One K-103-TI diaphragm compression driver on a K-702-M horn. 

KPT-8060H Spec Sheet

The Forte III specs say a K-70 1.75" titanium-diaphragm midrange compression driver on a new Tractrix K-703-M horn. 

http://assets.klipsch.com/product-specsheets/Forte-III-Spec-Sheet-v061.pdf

The KPT-1260H spec is a one K-703-G 1.75” titanium compression driver on a K-703-M horn. 

KPT-1260H Spec Sheet

Most other larger KPT use a  K-691 3" diaphragm compression driver. The large-format compression driver is mated to a 90° x 60° K-510 horn

K-702.JPG

Who makes this k-702 driver for Klipsch?  Looks similar to a B&C driver in appereance.

47 minutes ago, mopardave said:

Looks like the specs match.   Ever listen to one?    If you were doing a home built CW 4 , is this what you would use for mid?

I took a better look and i think the Celestion is it.   Now, to find a matching horn.  Pretty good bet i wont find one with mumps, but i think the 510 is the same horn without mumps.

21 minutes ago, mopardave said:

I took a better look and i think the Celestion is it.   Now, to find a matching horn.  Pretty good bet i wont find one with mumps, but i think the 510 is the same horn without mumps.

With the horn, looks like they use a 703 horn, but the 510 is a bolt on style.  Looks like i will need a different horn.

1 hour ago, mopardave said:

Looks like the specs match.   

Cornwall IV mids are 700hz-5khz That Celestion driver has a rated freq. response of 1200-20khz with minimum recommended crossover point at 2khz seems like a stretch? 

12 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

Cornwall IV mids are 700hz-5khz That Celestion driver has a rated freq. response of 1200-20khz with minimum recommended crossover point at 2khz seems like a stretch? 

Thanks for the correction.   Somebody is making that for Klipsch and it does look like a Celestion driver.   

13 hours ago, jjptkd said:

It's the only one I can find that looks like that. Could just be more roy wizardry, or maybe it's an OEM version of the 1740, who knows?

I like the PRV solution that @Curious_Georgeput together in that other thread. If I'm doing a modified Cornwall, that's probably the direction I would go.

• Like 2

If you are trying to retrofit an older model, you essentially want a CDX1-1748 with 16ohm diaphragm (you'll have to buy it separately)

You can look at the spec sheet for the CDV1-1757 to get an idea of the specs.

• Like 2

I'm sure whatever it is, its something special for Klipsch.  The 1740 with the Polyimide diaphram looks closest.   The celestion looks too similar not to be what there using for Brand.  I may just give them a call and see what they have to say.    I still want to build another pair of cabinets, cornwall 4 or maybe something with twin 15's per cabinet.  

1 hour ago, mopardave said:

I'm sure whatever it is, its something special for Klipsch.  The 1740 with the Polyimide diaphram looks closest.   The celestion looks too similar not to be what there using for Brand.  I may just give them a call and see what they have to say.    I still want to build another pair of cabinets, cornwall 4 or maybe something with twin 15's per cabinet.  

how about a pair of Used CW IV  or , no messing around , top quality speaker , prices have come down on used units around the high 3 -low 4k$  , 

45 minutes ago, RandyH said:

I would recommend  buying a pair of Used CW IV and call it a day , You're wasting your time thinking the cloned DIY  end result will even be close to a CW IV .

True, but i do like these projects and i think i did improve the cornwall with the cornscala. I would have Dean build the crossovers and i know he would use better components. Use the DE120's and crites woofers, but than again, it would just be another cornwall.   The most difficult part is locating a pair of those mumps horns.    I haven't listened to them yet, but i do know where there is a Klipsch sound shop a distance from me.   Need to make a trip, i may not even like them enough to mess with it.   What would be a fun project is something large dual woofers per cabitnet and 3 way with a passive xover if that can be done.