How to: Type A to Type AA?

Robbie010

The change is easy. Just add water and stir! 

This is the crossover design I listen to all day.  I used a spare screw for the .35 inductor because I wanted to see if I liked it.  As happens, temporary becomes long lasting. 

20190613_102425_1.thumb.jpg.5a9a88f84d63c68a2427d772955b3afe.jpg1384901678_TypeAAJohnLaScalasR1.thumb.jpg.00cef1f72de6b12869355036bd5fbbc6.jpg

Modify your tweeter circuit to match this, and a Type A becomes a Type AA (without zener diodes, the KLiP tweeter protection).  I recommend adding the inductor shown to knock the K-55-Vs 9k response "bounce" down a little and maybe balance the squawker's phase shift from the high-pass cap.

If your tweeter circuit connects downstream of the 13 uF cap, no worries, that is the original Klipsch design.  When I had to replace my caps 18 years ago, I changed it, not understanding how it worked and thinking it was weird. 

The Type AA also EQs a 105 dB hump in the K-77/T-35's response down to 103-104.  I think you'll like that, unless your room is dead. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

I much prefer the AA to the A network.  Have listened to both high end and "budget" mods to both and had the same conclusion each time.

Hi Jim,

I know the K-42 came in HIP's, was it ever in any non poeted versions of the Heresy or have you ever tried it out in a non ported configguration, and if you have, what are your thoughts on doing so ??

Also, the "E" crossover seems a little lightweight, has anyone changed the crossover points on an AA to be used in a Heresy or am I just nuts here ??

Roger

6 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Doesn't seem to me that the K42 was in any non ported config. 

Hoping someone jumps in here and says that was a political post and I'm close to being banned.....

Jim,

Thanks for the reply Jim, I have found a pair of nice K-42's and you have about as much Heresy experience as anyone....

Any thoughts on a better way to do crossover than the stock "E" settup in my daughters slant monitors ??

Roger

32 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Doesn't seem to me that the K42 was in any non ported config. 

Hoping someone jumps in here and says that was a political post and I'm close to being banned.....

I just had a friend get a 30 day timeout on FB, I'm sure with the proper language you too can take some more time off too. Looks like you could use a little time off, maybe the gnats will go away. 🙄🙄🙄

Mark

19 hours ago, JohnA said:

The change is easy. Just add water and stir! 

This is the crossover design I listen to all day.  I used a spare screw for the .35 inductor because I wanted to see if I liked it.  As happens, temporary becomes long lasting. 

20190613_102425_1.thumb.jpg.5a9a88f84d63c68a2427d772955b3afe.jpg1384901678_TypeAAJohnLaScalasR1.thumb.jpg.00cef1f72de6b12869355036bd5fbbc6.jpg

Modify your tweeter circuit to match this, and a Type A becomes a Type AA (without zener diodes, the KLiP tweeter protection).  I recommend adding the inductor shown to knock the K-55-Vs 9k response "bounce" down a little and maybe balance the squawker's phase shift from the high-pass cap.

If your tweeter circuit connects downstream of the 13 uF cap, no worries, that is the original Klipsch design.  When I had to replace my caps 18 years ago, I changed it, not understanding how it worked and thinking it was weird. 

The Type AA also EQs a 105 dB hump in the K-77/T-35's response down to 103-104.  I think you'll like that, unless your room is dead. 

Thanks John. I’ll need to get the crossover in front of me to really understand how this works but from what I can see, all I need is another 2uf cap, a .35 mH inductor and a 245 uH inductor. 

One last question, is there any specific type of inductor I need - air core, iron core etc?

Robbie, use air-core for both.  A Litz wire inductor for the 245 uH may make a small improvement.  They measure a little better at those frequencies, anyway.  Klipsch did not use Litz. 

Yes, all you need to do is add 3 parts.  Note that the .35 mH inductor is my mod and not part of a true Type AA. 

18 hours ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

Also, the "E" crossover seems a little lightweight, has anyone changed the crossover points on an AA to be used in a Heresy or am I just nuts here ??

Roger

Roger, the Type HIE is a Type AA modified for the K-700 horn and K-42. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

Hi Jim,

I know the K-42 came in HIP's, was it ever in any non poeted versions of the Heresy or have you ever tried it out in a non ported configguration, and if you have, what are your thoughts on doing so ??

Roger

------you can add on a port ala Claude Super Heresy , since his design does use a non-ported Heresy cab , but he adds it to the rear  section instead of the frontal on the motorboard -----remember that the new Heresy 4 - also uses a rear port ------and that added a 10hz to the bass over the H3 ,   now Claude also uses the K42 ,Whether the EVM12L or the Eminence woofer ---the DELTA PRO 12A is a 3rd option ----

post-20774-0-54860000-1401325403_thumb.j

Super Heresy 1 (Baby Cornwalls Mod.)

By ClaudeJ1, May 28, 2014 in Technical/Modifications

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, 000 said:

------you can add on a port ala Claude Super Heresy , since his design does use a non-ported Heresy cab , but he adds it to the rear  section instead of the frontal on the motorboard -----remember that the new Heresy 4 - also uses a rear port ------and that added a 10hz to the bass over the H3 ,   now Claude also uses the K42 ,Whether the EVM12L or the Eminence woofer ---the DELTA PRO 12A is a 3rd option ----

post-20774-0-54860000-1401325403_thumb.j

Super Heresy 1 (Baby Cornwalls Mod.)

By ClaudeJ1, May 28, 2014 in Technical/Modifications

Thanks for the info, but this is for a Klipsch Pro Slant Monitor Heresy. Don't know how I would add a port and don't really want one.

I plan on having a horn sub built for her, so I am not really looking for low Bass out of these Heresy. Was more so hoping the K-42 would add more and better Mid Bass like the K-43 does over the K-33 for her LaScalas...   :D

Am I nuts in thinking / hoping for this Jim, anybody ???

Roger

00m0m_2UfmcQoD2q0_1200x900.jpg.84943af0cf3b457ba011f2201f59f0b8.jpg

00x0x_8vasXbdhQ6u_1200x900.jpg.d3270c032d0b8b501688222f56262824.jpg

No photo description available.

4 minutes ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

Thanks for the info, but this is for a Klipsch Pro Slant Monitor Heresy. Don't know how I would add a port and don't really want one.

I plan on having a horn sub built for her, so I am not really looking for low Bass out of these Heresy. Was more so hoping the K-42 would add more and better Mid Bass like the K-43 does over the K-33 for her LaScalas...   :D

Am I nuts in thinking / hoping for this Jim, anybody ???

Roger

the specs of an EVM12L -80-7kHZ --an Eminence K42 - -52-4,5KHZ

1 minute ago, 000 said:

the specs of an EVM12L -80-7kHZ --an Eminence K42 - -52-4,5KHZ

Doesn't make a difference. The LaScala plays down to about 50 Hz., but is not acting as a horn till about 100 Hz and above. I am planning on crossing over to the sub pretty high for this very reason  :D

Roger