How to: Type A to Type AA?

Robbie010

8 minutes ago, codewritinfool said:

Wow, what a beautiful photo!

Thanks !!

That is one of my Daughters split LaScalas. The Jubilee belongs to Travis / DWI Lawyer,  and the other two belong to Luther Ward. Luther veneered that Cornwall and three others in African Waterfall Babinga and is going to veneer my daughters speakers for her. I plan to keep all the trim and put it all back on after they are veneered. I already have someone lined up to polish and re Anodize all the trim for these...  :D

Roger

• Like 1

3 hours ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

Thanks for the info, but this is for a Klipsch Pro Slant Monitor Heresy. Don't know how I would add a port and don't really want one.

I plan on having a horn sub built for her, so I am not really looking for low Bass out of these Heresy. Was more so hoping the K-42 would add more and better Mid Bass like the K-43 does over the K-33 for her LaScalas...   :D

Am I nuts in thinking / hoping for this Jim, anybody ???

Roger

Since I'm the one who designed the Super Heresy 1.0 and 2.0 modifications, I'm here to tell you the ORIGINAL INTENT was to improve the midrange and midbass, and NOT the bass EXTENSION. That came as a later surprise AFTER I did the mod, if you read the original 1.0 post. BUT I knew that a Big Magnet/High BL product woofer like those mentioned would "thin out the bass response" in the process of improving the midrange, so THAT is why I added the port. YOU can try leaving it sealed and do a simple woofer swap as step 1, then mod the Xover if and only if you feel it's necessary after listening. So, Roger, you are on the right track IMHO.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

Thanks !!

That is one of my Daughters split LaScalas. The Jubilee belongs to Travis / DWI Lawyer,  and the other two belong to Luther Ward. Luther veneered that Cornwall and three others in African Waterfall Babinga and is going to veneer my daughters speakers for her. I plan to keep all the trim and put it all back on after they are veneered. I already have someone lined up to polish and re Anodize all the trim for these...  :D

Roger

Sounds like a great plan to me. Wow. You must really love your kid!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

Hi Jim,

I know the K-42 came in HIP's, was it ever in any non poeted versions of the Heresy or have you ever tried it out in a non ported configguration, and if you have, what are your thoughts on doing so ??

Also, the "E" crossover seems a little lightweight, has anyone changed the crossover points on an AA to be used in a Heresy or am I just nuts here ??

Roger

Let's not conflate and confuse and E network for a Heresy vs. AA for Khorn or LS, ok?

The size of the mid horn dominates the selection of the crossover point. Stick to an E first, then look for mods. Don't ever change more than 1 thing at a time. Word to the wise from the wise.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Sounds like a great plan to me. Wow. You must really love your kid!

Thanks Claude !!

My Son is 17 but he is Autistic and MRDD. Mentally he is only 2.5 years old, but he cannot have a conversation or answer yes / no questions. He has a handful of statement phrases he can repeat, like "That's yucky" He will come up to you and state a word or one of his phrases and only wants you to repeat to him,  what he just said. That is his idea of a conversation and he is happy someone is acknowledging him. He will never be able to live on his own....

My daughter is 21 and is living on her own and going to College. I am under no disillusion in thinking she will want my seven big black TSCMs or my KP-600s when I die, and she will have to take care of her brother, but she gets everything anyhow. I want her to have something special that she will enjoy and think of my love for her, every time she sees it. I plan on taking her about 2.5 hours up into Michigan to Oakwood Veneer and letting her pick out what ever wood she chooses for Luther to do his magic to her speakers. I want one of a kind, nothing is off the table. If she wants Cocoa Bola, I will somehow make it happen, but this will be 100 % her choice whatever it may be... :D

Roger

• Like 1

14 hours ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

Jim,

No need to respond to this particular post. Just wanted to say I truly respect you helping me for my daughter...

Roger

Jim is a very respectable fellow who has above average enthusiasm for this hobby of ours.

2 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Jim is a very respectable fellow who has above average enthusiasm for this hobby of ours.

Claude,

I have not gotten along with Jim in the past, a lot has to do with politics but I believe he is looking past the *** I have been to try to help me make something for my daughter, and  THAT speaks volumes to me and is appreciated...

Roger

On 4/30/2020 at 8:54 PM, ClaudeJ1 said:

Don't ever change more than 1 thing at a time.

That's my motto, too.  Speaking in terms of experimentation only, of course.  A complete revamp using a known recipe is okay.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/30/2020 at 7:30 PM, Robbie010 said:

Thanks John. I’ll need to get the crossover in front of me to really understand how this works but from what I can see, all I need is another 2uf cap, a .35 mH inductor and a 245 uH inductor. 

One last question, is there any specific type of inductor I need - air core, iron core etc?

Sorry to resurrect this thread again, John. However, I am just now picking this back up again and it is almost impossible to get hold of 2uF film caps in the UK, would it be detrimental to use 2.2uF caps in place of the 2uF ones?

Thanks in advance.....

10 minutes ago, Robbie010 said:

Sorry to resurrect this thread again, John. However, I am just now picking this back up again and it is almost impossible to get hold of 2uF film caps in the UK, would it be detrimental to use 2.2uF caps in place of the 2uF ones?

Thanks in advance.....

Although I'm not John (at least not today....), you are fine using the 2.2uf value.  Have done it many times, and I've built lots of networks.

11 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Although I'm not John (at least not today....), you are fine using the 2.2uf value.  Have done it many times, and I've built lots of networks.

Apologies jimjimbo, I’m getting mixed up with the replies! But many thanks for the feedback. 👍🏻

I don't think it will hurt.  2.2 is just +10% and +/- 10% is a commonly allowed tolerance in crossover components.  OTOH, two 1.0 uF caps in parallel make 2.0 uF. 

Solen in France makes teflon and polypropylene film and foil caps in 2.0 uF.  You might check with Falcon Acoustics to see if they can get them for you. 

https://solen.ca/products/capacitors/film-foil-polypropylene-capacitors/se200/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2020 at 4:17 PM, Robbie010 said:

Thanks in advance.....

Hello @Robbie010

As mentioned above, you can put 2 x 1µF in parallel to make 2µF. Otherwise there is a seller in France who ships to you in UK and they have a lot of very good equipment and all kinds of SCR of various qualities in 2µF. 

They also have a lot of parts to make beautiful speakers and it's a serious business, I ordered a lot from them, it's always perfect!

https://en.toutlehautparleur.com/loudspeaker-components/composants-pour-filtres-passifs/condensateurs/par-capacite-et-prix/2__.html

SCR Tin 100vdc more than enough to tweet them, the photo is no longer displayed

https://en.toutlehautparleur.com/loudspeaker-components/composants-pour-filtres-passifs/condensateurs/par-capacite-et-prix/scr-mkp-tin-capacitor-2-f-sa-serie-100vdc.html

Example SCR Tin SA 2µF 150vdc to show you the photo of a Tin SCR

https://en.toutlehautparleur.com/loudspeaker-components/composants-pour-filtres-passifs/condensateurs/par-capacite-et-prix/scr-mkp-tin-capacitor-2-f-sb-serie-150vdc.html

😃

I saw that you tinkered a lot, so this will definitely interest you. With them the yellow capacitors are not of very good quality, on the other hand they make a lot of parts for horns like Paudio adapters, Horns and quality speakers. Paudio is used a lot by Klipsch: pavilion K704, K107, .... I ordered horns and adapters from them, the packages are very well made and the parts of good quality!

https://www.bluearan.co.uk//index.php