Klipschorn Woofers

3 minutes ago, OtisCampbell said:

Hi all,

Is there any consensus on the best vintage or modern woofer for the Klipschorn (assuming ideal motor boards)? 

Thanks!

k33 -------same woofer for the past tons of years ----the latest is the K33E -----EMINENCE ----standard woofer ---don't forget that the KHORN-LA SCALA are folded horns so a base woofer is all that is needed ----

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, 000 said:

k33 -------same woofer for the past tons of years ----the latest is the K33E -----EMINENCE ----standard woofer --don't forget that the KHORN-LA SCALA are folded horns so a base woofer is all that is needed ----

How did you come to this conclusion? 

There have been many many times where people report having "upgraded" their driver to a nicer, fancier driver.....  only to lose sound quality.

Bottom line, the K33 is what works best in there but for maybe one/two others (of which I have no idea, just keeping door open to possibility)

The woofer isn't the weak point that really needs fixed...  there would be higher priority items to fix before worrying/spending on the woofer.

• Like 3

General consensus seems to be the best were vintage drivers (note: both designed for older 6" x 13" :motor board slot):

#1: Stephens Trusonic 103LX2 - rare and high $$$ if you can find one

#2: Electro Voice 15WK - Better availability ~$300. seems to be the market price currently for a decent example

Here's a link to some testing you may be interested in:

Trusonic xover pic.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, OtisCampbell said:

Hi all,

Is there any consensus on the best vintage or modern woofer for the Klipschorn (assuming ideal motor boards)? 

Thanks!

Hello, I have 2 pairs of excellent K33E for sale if you are interested.

You need to read it too 

17 hours ago, 000 said:

k33 -------same woofer for the past tons of years ----the latest is the K33E -----EMINENCE ----standard woofer ---don't forget that the KHORN-LA SCALA are folded horns so a base woofer is all that is needed ----

So any standard bass woofer will work because they are behind a folded horn?

What exactly are the parameters for such a woofer?

14 minutes ago, yamahaSHO said:

I bought brand new woofers directly from Klipsch last year...  For a little over $200.  If you're not going to "upgrade", that would be my route.

200$ per woofer or 200$ for 2 woofers

30 minutes ago, Skelt said:

You need to read it too 

So any standard bass woofer will work because they are behind a folded horn?

What exactly are the parameters for such a woofer?

a K33 is a regular-stamped basket woofer  -------you can check the parameters on the FORUM -  a folded horn means that only 1/10th is needed to produce the bass - so no matter how powerful or sophisticated the woofer is ,  it will never be used but at low power output  , the k33 woofer is designed for the khorn , to fit like a glove ---

Make up your mind.

In your first post you said all you need is a "base woofer".

In your last post you said the k33 was designed for the khorn and fits like a glove.

You can't have it both ways.

Horn speakers are  finicky on what woofer works best

I know the parameters for the k33

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, yamahaSHO said:

Just looked back through my email... $129 a woofer.  You have to provide your serial numbers to the speakers.  

thank you for the info -

Please refrain from editing my posts.

My posts do not need"fixing"

4 hours ago, 000 said:

here I fixed it ----see the analogy - k33= base woofer

In the future please quote me verbatim 

IMO the k33 excells as a mid bass driver. Deep bass is just not there in a khorn.