No bass from r820f’s

Frostbyte

Hello.

i just bought a set of r820f’s after a buddy said he loved his. “Lots of bass! “
well, I’m not that impressed, so either I was expecting too much, or I don’t have something setup correct, or not strong enough receiver? 
onkyo tx-nr575

5.1 system, in my living room 16x24?

i know that it’s not going to replace a powered sub, which I have, but I was hoping for more than what I’m getting. Wanted some bass without needing to have the sub on all the time.

Mostly watch movies/tv/streams.

@Frostbyte,

Welcome to the forum.

7 hours ago, Frostbyte said:

i just bought a set of r820f’s after a buddy said he loved his. “Lots of bass! “

In his room with his equipment.

well, I’m not that impressed, so either I was expecting too much, or I don’t have something setup correct, or not strong enough receiver? 
onkyo tx-nr575

Could be some or all of those things.

5.1 system, in my living room 16x24?

Good size room might need a bit more grunt to push those 8" woofers.

Bill

44 minutes ago, willland said:

@Frostbyte,

Welcome to the forum.

In his room with his equipment.

Could be some or all of those things.

Good size room might need a bit more grunt to push those 8" woofers.

Bill

If I’ve gone though the eq a bunch already, should I just figure a new receiver? If so what should I look for in a new one? 

Agree with Bill on speaker placement first.  Also, try turning off an EQ/DSP on the Onkyo.  I'm not sure how to do this as I've never owned one.  But try enabling whatever minimalist 2-channel (no sub) setting they have.  Usually this is called something like pure-direct or analog-out.  Make sure your AVR isn't doing something strange.

Thanks for the help everyone, I did go through and try all those. The stereo option was the closest, and was what my buddy was referring to anyways. He didn’t mention that first time, go figure. Still wasn’t what I was expecting. Ended up just getting a new receiver, and that fixed the issue. 

The onkyo tx-nr 575 just wasn’t powerful enough. Went with Denon avr-s950H that has 7 dedicated amps, and it’s night and day difference. 

• Like 2