YouTube Spinning

Full Range

Very welcome and thank you for that. 

Pete Fountain and his clarinet  remind me of my youth.

The story and music: One of the greatest recordings Artie Shaw ever made was of George Gershwin’s “Summertime 

Repost Number One: “Summertime” (1945) Artie Shaw/Eddie Sauter – Swing & Beyond (swingandbeyond.com)

side note: Artie married Ava Gardner & Lana Turner-WOW

image.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Watched the Jazz documentary on PBS recently with Wynton, etc...highly recommend.

16 hours ago, Subway said:

Wynton Marsalis had TV show from Lincoln Center. He explained what was happening within songs and spoke on jazz history- I recommend.

Yes!

• Thanks 1

Jazz episode one /  few things I didn't know:

The Union Sons Hall, also known as Kenna’s Hall and Funky Butt Hall, was one of the most popular places for dancing in Storyville. The name “Funky Butt,” also the title of a song by early jazz pioneer (maybe the first) Buddy Bolden (1887-1931), referred to the foul-smelling, “funky” air at dance halls.

Jelly Roll Morton (1900-41) who was first to put jazz played piano in brothel. "Jelly Roll" is slang for female genitalia.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The first time I dropped acid was November 25th 1979 . Foreigner/Blackfoot at Carolina Coliseum was the occasion . When they exposed the mirrors behind the band for the Double Vision encore it was like Whoa . That was some next level stuff , or so I remember .

• Like 1
  • Haha 3