YouTube Spinning

Full Range

OSU's band is known as TBDBITL...  The Best Damn Band In The Land and imo they're ALL of that and more.

As a long time photog shooting there for 28 year I can tell you this much.  They're as tough as the football team.  They will flat run-over ANYONE in their way where ever they march.  Ya MOVE or get run over.  Simple.

All the marching moves are synched by a computer program designed to eliminate the "old way" of marching.  It's more seamless and actually funny watching them move into their next position.  Like a mad scramble as one unit.  hahaha  To become a member of the marching band each member takes a solemn oath to never discuss the program or how it works.  Each member carries a tablet showing them exactly where to be at any given point during the show.  They all have to memorize the entire show with their random moves.   No tablets on game day!   It's insane but that's why they're TBDBITL.  

MANY other schools would love to have the program but that thing needs a super crypto clearance to get into.  It's crazy but that's why the Buckeyes are nuts.  It's just the way we roll.  

Back to our regular programming!  :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Dave1291 said:

OSU's band is known as TBDBITL...  The Best Damn Band In The Land and imo they're ALL of that and more.

As a long time photog shooting there for 28 year I can tell you this much.  They're as tough as the football team.  They will flat run-over ANYONE in their way where ever they march.  Ya MOVE or get run over.  Simple.

My dad (92 this month) would call me on a random day and ask what I'm doing on Saturday...(enter date).  Long story short, he'd drive to Knoxville from Hilton Head, stay the night here OR, we'd join together here and drive on up to Columbus.

Last time we did this, we first went to Findlay (his childhood hometown) to do something or another, then drove across to Columbus.  Got to Hotel about 1:00 A.M.  Went to bed.  Got up in morning, ate breakfast, drove to stadium.

Went to the PREgame band show and that specific year was Alumni day (for the band)  and all old band members were invited.  They essentially had THREE full (or nearly) full marching bands crammed into that building and then, they had the visiting team's band (Miami University where he & I both went) in there WITH them.....  and they absolutely shredded that building to pieces.

Preshow done, everyone walked to stadium.....Ohio State was pounding the daylights out of Miami (expected)  in fact, I am wondering if it was 50-0 at halftime or was that the final....either way, it was a manly team against children.

Halftime came....  we watched all the bands.  They had if I recall four Script Ohio's going on.  After the halftime show, we went home.  To reword it...we drove all the way there to essentially watch the band warmup and halftime show, nothing more.

Visually it was certainly as impressive as anything.  Sound wise, it really was incredible. Simply tore the place up.  I think the oldest member in the Alumni band was 80 or 90?  Impressive is such an inadequate word for what it was.  I'd highly recommend anyone go witness it if you're able (specifically the day the Alumni Bands return)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@CoyteeThe "Skull Session" at St John arena is always killer.  You can't leave that place and NOT be stoked for the game.

One year a local kid was named Drum Major so I told the guys at the paper I wanted to do a full page on him since they were running a full second local ppl page on Saturdays.  They laffed.  I looked at 'em and said you have NO IDEA.  They told me to go ahead and do it.  I called his mom (who was a Natl Champion and taught some kids) so she hooked me up w/Greg.

Met with him early game day and laid out my battle plan.  He told me to not worry he was gonna make it simple.  He said I'm gonna twirl for YOU.  Twirl for me he did.  Lookin me dead in the eyes for almost the entire show w/the exception of his aerials.

The end result?  It's prolly my most cherished work.  It, to me, surpasses all the great shots I had in 28 years of shooting.  Of all the great plays I captured,   with the exception of the winning hoops shot over IU in that double OT.  The band's half-time show is my most coveted.  

People ALWAYS laff @ a kid from a small country school leading a lil band around.  He who laffs last???  

Take care of your Dad and next time you see him tell him GO BUCKS!  I'm just 40 miles South East of Findlay.  Tell him Bratwurst Festival and see if he knows.  hahaha

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

So, its Monday. Cruisin in my lowrider as usual, bouncing down the road,  listening to some tunes.   Often a college station to see whats new,  This song has come on a few times and I always listen to the end.   Haven't seen the vid till just now.    Perhaps, you will enjoy.😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Dave1291 said:

The end result?  It's prolly my most cherished work.  It, to me, surpasses all the great shots I had in 28 years of shooting.  Of all the great plays I captured,   with the exception of the winning hoops shot over IU in that double OT.  The band's half-time show is my most coveted.  

Respectful Snip!  (just wanted to reference the post)

Great story!

Being an alumni of the 400 piece WVU Marching Band, I am a huge fan of Ohio State's band.  They march all brass (no clarinets, flutes, etc) and as a result they have a tremendous sound played by excellent musicians.  Their half-time shows are innovative and are state-of-the-art.  A joy to behold and listen to.

I am probably one of the very few here who love traditional marches like Sousa and also love the marching band arrangements of contemporary songs.

Marching band is living art and the canvas is the football field.  It is the only medium I know of which must be recreated live! every time to see it in its fullness.

This is the good stuff. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Marching band is living art and the canvas is the football field.  It is the only medium I know of which must be recreated live! every time to see it in its fullness.

Perhaps....but years ago, I pulled one of my LaScalas outside to simply do it and jam while I walked around the field to hear the differences.

What do I play???

Oh, I know....  across the lake is a retirement community.  Possibly a lot of Yankess's (of which I'm also one) over there.  Maybe even some MICHIGAN fans!!!

So, why not pop in my OSU Marching Band CD and crank it to 11???

I did exactly that while walking to various places in the field.  Don't you know that just like when you are at the stadium, the sound changes depending on where the band is facing or whatever else might factor in, you had similar "coloring" of the sound as you walked around the field.  It really would have been pretty easy to make the jump that the band was there.

I can only hope that the folks across the lake that were from Ohio were having happy dreams and the folks that were instead, from Michigan were screaming, pulling their hair out wondering how on earth the OSU band ended up doing a practice session directly across the lake from them????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2