Cornwall manufacturing year?

D Celestin

Good Day!

Hope everyone is safe out there. This is my first posting here and the wealth of information given from this forum, are outstanding! I recently acquired a pair of Cornwalls and I'm simply smitten by their perfomance. I bought them locally, lucky me, and the seller had them tucked away in storage in their original boxes.

Production run, early to mid 80s, according to seller but unsure? Type, CBR and serial #8537753/54. Curious to know when they were actually built?

Thank you for your time

Thank you. 85, is that considered a desirable year, model wise? They sound fantastic and I have not even considered opened the back panels to see components and such...? The gentleman whom I bought them from was the second owner. He purchased them locally and they are in superb shape given that they are 35 years of age.  

welcome to the forum

85 was the last year for the 1 series and late 85 and early 86 they came out with the 2nd version of the cornwall 2 and rumor has it they forgot they already had a cornwall 11 back in the late 60's

so to answer your question are they desireable, if you own them then they are desireable. i like them from the 60's and 70's.

• Like 1

Thank you Budman and do believe they are desirable they simply sound awsome. I've been playing with towing and moving them away from corners. Lots of fun! So far and away from corners they sound more open and so quick that they startled me at times. 

Removed back panel and found the following drivers: K33E, K57K, and K77. Crossover Type B3

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, took some inside shots of my Cornwalls. Had to crop them due to files being too big. I'm especially curious about the crossover part where you can see a large white cap? None of the other pics that I've viewed from other Cornwalls show that type of cap?

Any info would be helpful. The other pic, I tried to capture the finish. 

Thank you

20200512_095137.jpg

20200512_095422.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/12/2020 at 9:11 AM, D Celestin said:

Hello all, took some inside shots of my Cornwalls. Had to crop them due to files being too big. I'm especially curious about the crossover part where you can see a large white cap? None of the other pics that I've viewed from other Cornwalls show that type of cap?

Any info would be helpful. The other pic, I tried to capture the finish. 

Thank you

20200512_095137.jpg

FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD, get that damn Salt Block OFF of that speaker!!!!!!!

If you ever turn the light off, those stupid things will condense water out of humid air and drip down onto the speaker.

The light keeps them warm and above the dewpoint, but if they are off and conditions are right, they will attract water and drip.

Its as terrible of a situation as having a potted plant on a speaker.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2020 at 7:09 AM, D Celestin said:

Hope this helps!

all I can say is that they look really good , clean and these are all wood cabinets ,  which is the best as they will last for a very long time-congrats

RandyH, thank you! I really lucked out for the gentleman whom I bought them from took care of them. They were kept in storage in their original boxes and when delivered I couldn't believe are great they looked, a bit dusty though. Wiped them down with some Murphy's oil and later on, Pledge revitalizing oil. 

To Loudanclear, the salt lamp is always kept on and put it there to show the finish for that pic. 

20200615_094016.jpg

On 6/13/2020 at 9:59 PM, LoudnClear said:

FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD, get that damn Salt Block OFF of that speaker!!!!!!!

If you ever turn the light off, those stupid things will condense water out of humid air and drip down onto the speaker.

The light keeps them warm and above the dewpoint, but if they are off and conditions are right, they will attract water and drip.

I had that on a veneered chest of drawers. It destroyed the top.

Edited by VNC Studio

On 6/13/2020 at 8:59 PM, LoudnClear said:

15 minutes ago, VNC Studio said:

I had that on a veneered chest of drawers. It destroyed the top.

Good to know!  Lava lamps ok?  I think my 1967 Cornwalls came with one didn't it??

33 minutes ago, muel said:

Good to know!  Lava lamps ok?  I think my 1967 Cornwalls came with one didn't it??

I've seen a Lava lamp only once in my life. I think it should be safe but put it on a coaster. The salt lamp will cause untold grief. :-)