Klipschorn top gets painted - covid project

There are a couple of things that I thought I would ever see, the first is that everyone was required to wear a mask to go into the liquor store in the next town and that I would ever do anything with this K horn top. the top on the bottom left with the brown grill cloth. I am not sure what was left on the top but it really did a number on it.

starters.jpg

So this is the top after be filled and sanded, Oh I forgot about gluing the loose pieces along the edges.

IMG_1763.thumb.JPG.13afc8ac4ce09b5bc557c51c76dda2d3.JPG

This is the top that started me looking into the top above. You see I wanted the top sitting on the clone MWMs bin to be higher and I needed a spacer so I figured I would just stick that ugly old K horn top under and I'd be good. well the more I looked the more I felt that I could improve the looks a bit with a couple hours of FREE time and some paint or veneer and the paint won due to cost and I had it in stock and it would get done.

IMG_1753.thumb.JPG.4ddb9052a8b7cfcbcee86846f688d85c.JPG

Gary, that looks nice. My intent is to glue and fill and sand my beater LS, do a roundover bit on the edges and paint with black duratex. The area around the k-400 mid horn will get veneered.

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 8:54 PM, Marvel said:

Gary, that looks nice. My intent is to glue and fill and sand my beater LS, do a roundover bit on the edges and paint with black duratex. The area around the k-400 mid horn will get veneered.

I had thought about the round over bit on the edge and decided it didn't solve the problem with the edge so that had to be fixed anyway. To route the edge is just one more step in the process that you can have one of those " that's not what I wanted to do" moments sometime followed by words

that can't be printed here.    I do like the idea of the veneer fronts instead of grill cloth.  

I got the other top disassembled and started on the edge gluing of the delaminated veneer yesterday afternoon, this on does not have the nice grill cloth but I hope the get by with it.

IMG_1782.thumb.JPG.afc3ec6f82e9d25544a7e6032abe9435.JPG'

IMG_1784.thumb.JPG.b873285b4272514f6e2ba3e6a7eed3ee.JPG

• Like 1

On 4/30/2020 at 8:54 PM, Marvel said:Gary, that looks nice. My intent is to glue and fill and sand my beater LS, do a roundover bit on the edges and paint with black duratex. The area around the k-400 mid horn will get veneered.

Gary,

It looks  very good.  I’m looking forward to following your progress on the Khorns and the Elan.

Bruce,

But for the veneer, I’m with you 100%.

Fortunately, the “speakers” allowed in our living room is an old Klipsch iPod dock that connects to phones, players, or iPads by Bluetooth.  It does a surprisingly good job of providing background music, or the NPR Sunday Puzzle.  I say, “fortunately,” because my speakers do not have to perform double duty as furniture, so the expense and work of veneering are unnecessary.

Baltic birch, round-over router bit, Bondo, and Duratex are my friend. The first photo shows my DIY SUPERS.  The box was constructed from 3/4” Baltic, a round-over bit was used to eliminate all exterior hard 90 degree corners—including the woofer opening, Bondo to smooth things up, and Duratex to hide a multitude of sins.

59f4e20661760_20171028_103329(Mobile).jpg.fb54ff237e05172fd70a59ce1a108c60.jpg

The second photo shows the completed SUPER, a resurrected H1, a TH sub, and a single driver.  All but SD (MDF) are Baltic.  All lack hard corners and benefit from  Bondo and Duratex.  My speakers only need to look good enough for my basement lair.

after.thumb.jpg.998ad4f1195d0403f57e09a0e72f24e4.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

My speakers only need to look good enough for my basement lair.

Wish we had a basement here, especially after the recent tornadoes.

I like wood finishes, but I have my beater pair of LS where I don't want to invest in veneer, so black will be good. Plus they are sitting next to my black MWM cabinets, so they stand out already.

It's all looking good, Gary.

• Like 1

I have become confused. In the photos first posted, there were substantial water stains near the bottom (I assume a flooded basement or something). Did the plywood on the bottom of the cabinet delaminate? If so, what is the strategy for repairing that damage. I had something like that happen on a beat up La Scala I had. It was a headache and my solution was pretty half-a$$ed. 

Good luck,

-Tom

Hi Tom

Sorry to confuse, that first photo is from ebay and came from a topic from 2010 called

The bottoms were re-glued and have been used as a second system since 2010, but the tops were not fixed at that time.

before and after bottom edge repair.JPG

In 2010 when I got these Khorns, I was buying them as parts but after a close look at the damaged Baltic birch I decided to save them. For the most part all but one or two areas were only face ply of the plywood was separated. The two area that were worse were the face ply and one other lose ply in between were delaminated. 

Depending on how today goes, the fronts of these Klipschorn bass bins may get a  new layer of walnut veneer (leftovers from another Elan dashboard project) , I'll probably use the boiled linseed oil as I still have a bit left:smile:

• Like 1

The day went well yesterday, and had the walnut veneer unrolled and flattened for a couple hours before I started.  As usual I had to clear some space.  The khorn bin has lived in this spot for 10 years so it collected its share of junk on top'

IMG_1802.thumb.JPG.2fee8c28a5bcb7932937f32f9a8b44c2.JPG

4 screws in the bottom and 6 in the back. I never got around to a more permanent as " I was going to get back to it..."  

I have the ash trim for the false corner so that may happen too.

IMG_1803.thumb.JPG.aa2c66758d685399e93d48652f438c32.JPG

• Like 1

As bad as these pictures make it look, the bins are solid. If you look at the picture, the water never even went over the dam. There are check marks on the ramp but that is all. Like the 18 gauge thermostat wire :cool: 

looks like I left some dust bunnies

IMG_1804.thumb.JPG.5193297c0ba17f8a64bd6cd1cd2ed889.JPG

If I remember this was the worst side.

IMG_1805.thumb.JPG.e7ebacf95caa43d6fe5ce6a84d5e5337.JPG

After I made the two dashboards from the 4x8 sheet of walnut veneer I had 34.5 inches by 8 feet and enough for 1 more dashboard. This is self stick that I picked up at Boulter plywood.  Anyway, I cut that 34.5 down to about 33 to center the pattern as best as I could and to wrap the edge. So this is the first piece applied, After adhering it to the bin I clamped a straight edge just below the front 3/4 birch plywood front and used new blade in the razor knife and lightly dragged it along the veneer, I stopped after 3 or 4 very light passes and snapped this picture, you can see bottom is already free.

IMG_1809.thumb.JPG.0234b87f6e5c67d47618316908577292.JPG

After laying flat for about 4 hours. the piece is sized 31.5 by 39, it gave me an 1/8 on each side and 1/4 top and bottom to play with. I peeled back the  paper on the corner on the far right of the picture (I had a small razor oops about 3/16 up and I wanted to make sure it would be cut off. The opposite corner I taped in place where I wanted it with an eighth inch overhang the whole way down the side and then stuck the first corner.  I could hardly believe it but after that it all went well and I pulled back the paper as a chased it with a 3x3 flat block of mahogany 3/4.

IMG_1812.thumb.JPG.3ac078d030f71d66f256be35daab3c7b.JPG