Klipschorn top gets painted - covid project

I had mentioned that these were dragged across some surface or other previously and you can see that in the first picture of this topic shows the backs. one was ugly but solid but this one the flat on the bottom that screws into the cab was delaminated and some missing where it was dragged alternating sides at the bottom. I angle cut as much as I could and made an replacement piece. My first cut was not deep enough to give me a good surface to glue too.

IMG_1831.thumb.JPG.a9c4e01ed4b6184220c8f24787abdcd2.JPG

I made a second pass and it cleaned up better but had to cut a single ply for a spacer. I need to glue this sandwich together and see if I have to do it again on the opposite face tomorrow.

IMG_1832.thumb.JPG.f34a335852afdf550348487db534d122.JPG

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 12:03 PM, Davecv41 said:

Thanks for keeping us up to date on this, Gary. I've had the 2010 posting printed, bookmarked, and saved, awaiting the day I get motivated enough to make backs for my horns. This is a work of art.

I think the back enclosures are going to be put away for a while. They were never finished and to go back and fix some of the issues (aka mistakes) is not what I want to do  at this time so I'll just remove all of the screws and stack them away neatly in a pile. The Khorns in there current location don't ":need" them. They do help with the aiming of the High frequency tops but I think I just need the change scenery and the "new look" that the klipschorns have received will be that nice change.

I put the third coat on yesterday afternoon and they look about the same as the last pair of pictures I posted. It will be another week or so before I can put the backs {tailboards) and tops on. till then they will look much the same. 

On 5/6/2020 at 8:16 AM, garyeanderson said:

I think I got is close to being center

Back in it's shelter for the night. I need the space to do the other one anyhow. Besides I wanted to see the contrast between the walnut and ash,

IMG_1823.thumb.JPG.07f56addfd04061afe341e3f4e1a2ffa.JPG

Gary , the false corner cabinet , have you designed it to extend the horn effect  on the sound , or is it purely cosmetic  , to me it looks like the  TSCM  and it gives the KHORN a stance that is just so natural  as it blends perfectly with the dimensions of the bass bin -

13 hours ago, RANDYH said:

Gary , the false corner cabinet , have you designed it to extend the horn effect  on the sound , or is it purely cosmetic  , to me it looks like the  TSCM  and it gives the KHORN a stance that is just so natural  as it blends perfectly with the dimensions of the bass bin -

This is just a personal opinion but I think they work fine. I would guess that they are 90% or more - effective!

There were some mistakes made when laying out the TSCM clone enclosures. I would like to fix it so that the first one matches  the second. I found I had measured 1/2 inch on the wrong side so it needs to be fixed. It involves more time than I want to devote with summer coming on. There was no glue used at the time of assembly as they were going to come apart someday and that time is nearly here. I will likely re-cut the offending parts so I can use them in the future but unless the covid crisis continues I need to move on to other summer stuff.  

There is some more info from a previous topic at

• 2 weeks later...

Lets see, nearly summer and this project needs to be suspended till more suitable weather arrives. I guess there have been nine coats of boiled linseed oil applied and they look great. April 30 seems  more distant than it is. This morning I got one of the cabs stood up right and slid it back into one of the TSCM like enclosure to make enough floor space so I disassemble the other enclosure. I hope to have them both playing soon. The Khorn bass bin is just sitting in the enclosure, I didn't put back the 9 screws that previously held them in place.  The other bass bin will go into the corner by itself.

starters.jpg

This is the one on the left in the photo above,  

Not to shabby:biggrin2:

IMG_1913.thumb.JPG.80bfc6a70cbab8a9f5b448f2a5b725e8.JPG

• Like 5

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 3:15 PM, soundbound said:

Looks great! 

Did you put new black grill cloth on them and if so where did you buy it?

Did you put some round trim boards on the top and bottom of their tops fronts just below the Klipsch emblem and above tweeter?

I got some Klipschorn parts used locally from someone that had upgraded there Khorns. There were some newer grills, I got 3 total so that is why one is now black. The original grill was a dark brown and I still have it but it has some road rash on it.  The only rounding is from me rocking the flat sanding block when I was sanding the filled areas of the missing veneer.

IMG_1763.JPG

IMG_1774.JPG

• Like 1