Where to buy crossover for RF-83

Carlosrs

Buenos Dias,  Carlos! 

RF-83s are so new I dont think any one is making an aftermarket crossover.  Until they are around 30 years old, there should not be a reason to change or refresh them.  Why do you think they need new crossovers? 

Hey John. I want to upgrade them with better parts, connectors, wires, ect.. Need to buy one and have it shipped to GR Research to map  and help me with making it the best possible. Also doing some cabinet damping and additional bracing.

Let's see how they turn out.🙏

11 hours ago, Carlosrs said:

Thank you Moray for your help, they are out of stock and won't be getting more.

Any other suggestions?

I am with Willland send them to GR.

you could look for a beater set but who knows how long or how much that will take.

• Like 1

Trying to send them out to GR Research but the lock down in my country prevents me.  Trying to buy one to have it shipped to him directly and no luck.

Does somebody have the schematics so I can build them, like Alexander suggests??

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Carlosrs said:

Trying to send them out to GR Research but the lock down in my country prevents me.  Trying to buy one to have it shipped to him directly and no luck.

Does somebody have the schematics so I can build them, like Alexander suggests??

About three-quarters down this page...maybe?

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/113804-klipsch-crossovers/page/8/

Looks like it was pulled from here...

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/crossover-upgrade-on-rf-83s.588494/

1 hour ago, mboxler said:

Ha, that is on my old hard drive which I cannot access. Problem with sending off networks for a total rebuild is the re builder can only use the same values as the old parts on the board they cannot make any design improvement unless they have the speaker drives in cabinet to measure. I would suggest if you are set on this to upgrade the caps and resistors and leave it at that. If you really want better buy a better speaker.

I would recommend a very good stand mount two way with the smallest possible drives able to achieve satisfactory levels  for you and run them with a good pair of subs. Small drivers integrate better than larger ones do. Multi woofer tower speakers all suffer from inter driver interaction issues. I am running a new set of Tannoy Revolution XT series Mini XT which is a true DC driver (dual concentric) two way the woofer is only 3.25" in diametre and you have to hear these properly set up to believe them. If you are into small ensemble jazz you don't even need subs. I have subs have not turned on yet I am still very pleased with them as they are. They have replaced a pair of Heresy 3.

55 minutes ago, mboxler said:

Thank you, will send this to Gr Research and see if they could go on that.

41 minutes ago, moray james said:

Ha, that is on my old hard drive which I cannot access. Problem with sending off networks for a total rebuild is the re builder can only use the same values as the old parts on the board they cannot make any design improvement unless they have the speaker drives in cabinet to measure. I would suggest if you are set on this to upgrade the caps and resistors and leave it at that. If you really want better buy a better speaker.

I would recommend a very good stand mount two way with the smallest possible drives to achieve satisfactory levels and run them with a good pair of subs. Small drivers integrate bette than larger ones do. Multi woofer tower speakers all suffer from inter driver interaction issues. I am running a new set of Tannoy Revolution XT series Mini XT which is a true DC driver (dual concentric) two way the woofer is only 3.25" in diametre and you have to hear these properly set up to believe them. If you are into small ensemble jazz you don't even need subs. I have subs have not turned on yet I am still very pleased with them as they are. They have replaced a pair of Heresy 3.

Agreed, very tough to improve if they don't receive the whole speaker. Fun project thought! I would just like to see how good these RF83s could get if you remove the targeted price approach and just make it the "BEST" you can, granted using the same box, woofers and horn. 

About the smaller speaker I was thinking on going on an open baffle style speaker from GR Research, seems like the direct opposite of the RF-83s. Will look into your suggestion as well and compare which gets the honor of the "MAIN" system and who does office duties!!

Thanks you

2 hours ago, Carlosrs said:

Agreed, very tough to improve if they don't receive the whole speaker. Fun project thought! I would just like to see how good these RF83s could get if you remove the targeted price approach and just make it the "BEST" you can, granted using the same box, woofers and horn. 

About the smaller speaker I was thinking on going on an open baffle style speaker from GR Research, seems like the direct opposite of the RF-83s. Will look into your suggestion as well and compare which gets the honor of the "MAIN" system and who does office duties!!

Thanks you

problem with OB is they have to be large and have Very long throw for you to get any bass and large speaker don't integrate worth a darn. I ran Electrostats gor over 22 years and these little Tannoy's sound like a top quality electrostat except that the Tannoy's have a much wider sweet spot.

If you want the very best out of your multi ways then go active get a two way electronic crossover and a couple of good stereo blocks so you can vertically biamp all four channels. But even doing that you still can't solve the inter drive interference issues. Above 80Hz. a 3" fullrange can play loud enough for most everyone but if you want to peel pain go to a six inch full range.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally ended up building new crossovers for my Klipsch RF83, with new upgraded parts with same values, from GR Research, and I could not believe the difference that made.  My speakers were practically transformed for the better. Not only to my ears, but the measurements proved what I was hearing. This motivated me to continue with bracing the cabinets, changing internal wiring, just ordered NoRez for internal damping and ordering pure copper binding post, and I am sure this will contribute even more. The sum of all these parts should make a considerable difference for the better, I hope!!

I can't stress enough the impact of upgraded parts for your speakers. It is an affordable difference that could have a huge impact. Try it, you won't regret it. And if you can't hear a difference, at least you learned how to build crossovers and got the doubt out of your system!!

The RF83 is a much better speaker than I thought, I am very happy with my "NEW" speakers!!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Carlosrs said:

The RF83 is a much better speaker than I thought, I am very happy with my "NEW" speakers!!!

My 63s are as good as I thought but room for improvement?  Maybe I'll go this route also in the future.

Bill

9 hours ago, willland said:

My 63s are as good as I thought but room for improvement?  Maybe I'll go this route also in the future.

Bill

I highly recommend it, its also a lot of fun.  Here are pics of the new crossovers, and the old one for comparison, and the interior bracing. Even though it looks smallish, the bracing really made big audible difference, that extra support really tightened things up, I was surprised. Next step is to remove that foam and line all the interior walls, top and bottom with NoRez.

(Don't pay attention to the finish, once all upgrades are done there is some tiddying up and beautifying work to do!!)

thumbnail_20200515_140229.jpg

thumbnail_20200515_140246.jpg

thumbnail_20200507_101856.jpg

thumbnail_20200513_193709.jpg

thumbnail_20200513_193023.jpg

thumbnail_20200515_183107.jpg

• 1 year later...
On 5/29/2020 at 5:22 PM, Carlosrs said:

I highly recommend it, its also a lot of fun.  Here are pics of the new crossovers, and the old one for comparison, and the interior bracing. Even though it looks smallish, the bracing really made big audible difference, that extra support really tightened things up, I was surprised. Next step is to remove that foam and line all the interior walls, top and bottom with NoRez.

(Don't pay attention to the finish, once all upgrades are done there is some tiddying up and beautifying work to do!!)

Which components (brand) did u use?? Apart from SONICAP which is obvious🤔

Edited by junaidot

• 5 months later...
On 5/29/2020 at 5:22 PM, Carlosrs said:

Excellent Job, Could you please help me with the correct AWG for the coils. Im working on an upgrade of my RF-83 as well.

Great!