Fair price for Forte ii's in very good to excellent condition.

Scott Shular

I had picked up a set of forte II's in black ash for $400 ~three years ago down in YourAmi FL (it isn't MyAmi). They were a bit rough on the out site and the passives were ripped up. Took the passive radiators to be re coned for ~$100 for the pair and they sound great.

Thanks and glad I signed up here. Been looking on eBay and chatting to a guy who listed at $1500,  I was pushing under $1k but I think I need to just be patient.  I’m not limited to Fortes, this will be my first pair of Klipsch, want to pair them with either my Fisher 500b or a Magnavox tube amp (el84’s).

feedback/advice welcome.

• Like 1

Where are you located? Quartets, forte I & II and Chorus I & II's are all of the same generation. Probably the least expensive models could be the Heresy – they are pretty light on the bass but otherwise a great sounding speaker- just add a sub it that is your thing.

36 minutes ago, Alexander said:

CW !'s even better, a very fine score for anyone – and a killer for a first time Klipsch owner.

Those cabinets are pretty beat up.  5/10 at best INMHO.  $500.00 is most I would offer on that pair. 

OP, Forte II and Cornwall are both excellent speakers.  The Cornwall will give you a little more bass with the 15" driver.  The forte II is no slouch on bass either with a 12" driver & 15 Passive.  INMHO the forte II outshines the Cornwall in the mid range.  

Cant go wrong either way.  Take your time you will find the right pair.  INMHO anything within a 4-5 hour drive each way is worth it for the right pair.

Good luck

John

• Like 1

Thanks all!  I have spoke with the $800 Cornwall fella.  Sounded like I could get them for $700 but the simple fact is I cannot fit a 25.5” wide speaker anywhere.  I was all about that pair until I took an honest look around my place.  
mill keep my eyes peeled and put in some miles if I have to!

34 minutes ago, Scott Shular said:

Thanks all!  I have spoke with the $800 Cornwall fella.  Sounded like I could get them for $700 but the simple fact is I cannot fit a 25.5” wide speaker anywhere.  I was all about that pair until I took an honest look around my place.  
mill keep my eyes peeled and put in some miles if I have to!

I have the exact same issue, the max I could go is ~20 inches wide and we would be mighty tight at that.  If I could I would love to own a set of LaScala's

7 hours ago, John Chi-town said:

Those cabinets are pretty beat up.  5/10 at best INMHO.  $500.00 is most I would offer on that pair. 

OP, Forte II and Cornwall are both excellent speakers.  The Cornwall will give you a little more bass with the 15" driver.  The forte II is no slouch on bass either with a 12" driver & 15 Passive.  INMHO the forte II outshines the Cornwall in the mid range.  

Cant go wrong either way.  Take your time you will find the right pair.  INMHO anything within a 4-5 hour drive each way is worth it for the right pair.

Good luck

John

John, you mention OP, Forte and Cornwall...  OP?

22 minutes ago, Scott Shular said:

Came across a pair of Chorus I’s about 3 hours away.   Thoughts on the Chorus?

You better go get those before they go away if they are a decent price. Better than the Fortes and CW 1,2 and 3. My favorite vintage  Klipsch.

49 minutes ago, Scott Shular said:

John, you mention OP, Forte and Cornwall...  OP?

Original Poster (who started the mess lol) 

48 minutes ago, Scott Shular said:

Came across a pair of Chorus I’s about 3 hours away.   Thoughts on the Chorus?

Forte (1 or 2), Quartet, Chorus II and a few other speakers are placement sensitive (need to be x,y off the walls) for the best sound. The Cornwall are less sensitive of that. The Forte II will take 4 out of 5 when it comes to cost, footprint, quality of sound, quantity of sound and WAF (wife approval factor) when ABing them to any others. When placed just right, the Forte's magic flows.

The Chorus are the biggest brother to the Quartet, Forte and Chorus offerings (some call the three the Extended Heritage line).  From my understanding, the Chorus were to replace the Cornwall. The Chorus I has a smaller mid horn and are ported to the front, while the Chorus II has a larger mid horn and a 15" PR in the rear. Most agree that the CH II sound a lot better than the CH I and there has been an ongoing tug-of-war between the Chorus and the Cornwall.... until the Cornwall IV came along. I haven't had the CH I but have two pair of CH II and they rock. 

Prices on any of the speakers have variables such as how motivated the seller is, location, time of year, phase of the moon, sobriety, spite, familiarity of market value, condition of the speakers and more. Taking a moment, or three, to learn the value will let you buy a good deal when it's offered. 

How much are they asking for the CH I, what condition are they in and what wood finish are they (Oak, Walnut..)? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Most agree that the CH II sound a lot better than the CH I and there has been an ongoing tug-of-war between the Chorus and the Cornwall.... until the Cornwall IV came along. I haven't had the CH I but have two pair of CH II and they rock. 

That's something that is possible only if the CH2's are placed right in a corner. I like the CH-1's the best because they can go anywhere and sound exactly the same. Out on your deck, anywhere in a room you name it. For some reason  the old caps on Chorus speakers sound worse than old caps on other speakers to me. I have had some bought cheap because they were sour sounding. Once recapped magic happened. Replacing the tweeters is also a good thing and you do those you are golden. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave A said:

I like the CH-1's the best because they can go anywhere and sound exactly the same. Out on your deck, anywhere in a room you name it.

Are you moving these all around continually?  I thought they were made of heavy paper...