Thoughts on JBL 3678 Theater Speakers?

Cornwalled

Hello again,

I've come across a pair of JBL 3678 THX Theater speakers for $800, and wanted to see what you guys think?  I like their potentially smaller size (relative to my huge stacks) but am unfamiliar with these speakers.  What little I've been able to find leads me to believe they'd be more than adequate for my space.  I've always been impressed with JBL's larger speakers, and am hoping these will be the same.  I also have a set of 8330s I could use for surrounds.

What do these speakers sound like?  I have a Tuba HT to take care of the real deep bass, so if these are good to 60 Hz or so, that's fine.  How's the top end?  Also, is $800 a fair price for these?  They are within driving range, so that is convenient for me. 

Thanks a lot,

Jon

JBL 3678.jpg

Hi Glens,

Here's the thread about the current setup, though I have now swapped out the Heresies for a set of Pioneer PM-40s taken from an incomplete set of CSR-700s.  It helped to lower the profile, but I'm not sure I like the sound as much as the Heresies.

-Jon

That rings a bell.  

I always was a fan of JBL pro stuff.  Those speakers likely sound good enough, but like I said, I have no idea whether $800 represents a good value or not.  The chances they sound better than what you've cobbled together have got to be pretty good.

On a lark, I just picked up a pair of JBL Cabaret 4628b for $60.

I was looking to liberate the 2404h-1 (butt cheek) tweeters for another project.

I hooked them up to test them out and was amazed by the sound!

They don't go much below 50 HZ, but they give my  LaScalas a run for the money and dare I say even a bit better in the stereo imaging department.

Representative pic:

4628b.jpg