Touching up LaScalas

Jbruno

Need some help with how to best touch up the black LaScalas I just picked up.  There are a few knicks and dings, but overall pretty good shape.  There are a few spots on the top where the finish is coming away, a few discolored spots, maybe even some moisture.  The label just says "BLK", but, if i am going to touch things up, I want to do it right.  

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Obviously, practically anything you do is going to be "different" and likely only noticeable by you, but not anyone else, especially from 6 ft. away.  Do the best you can, and live with it.

And you've hit upon the crux of the problem.  'I'll know it's there'.  Granted, they are 25+ year old speakers that only cost me $200, but, that's no reason to not do something right.  Not sure I am to the point of a complete refinish job, but, I can see that in the future.  Might give the tops a sanding to clean up and then hit with some black paint, at least it's an even color on the top then.  

Sounds like OP won't be happy until he re finishes completely. Since they are smooth not pebble paint coated the sky is the limit on refinishing choices. If they're "garage" speakers I like the duratex suggestion.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2020 at 12:28 PM, babadono said:

Sounds like OP won't be happy until he re finishes completely. Since they are smooth not pebble paint coated the sky is the limit on refinishing choices. If they're "garage" speakers I like the duratex suggestion.

Refinishing might be a winter project.  At this point just a clean up of the exposed wood will suffice.  I like the black look, just don't care for the Duratex look.  Might get a quick hit with the sander and a few light coats of satin black spray to clean up.  

Enjoying them too much to take out of service at this point..

9 minutes ago, Jbruno said:

Refinishing might be a winter project.  At this point just a clean up of the exposed wood will suffice.  I like the black look, just don't care for the Duratex look.  Might get a quick hit with the sander and a few light coats of satin black spray to clean up.  

Enjoying them too much to take out of service at this point..

go to an art supply store where you can get black markers which are actually black and not dark purple as most of them are. You can also get furniture touch up markers to match color and sheen but they are expensive. A real black marker will do the job while you consider a fresh paint job (lots of colors to choose from or combinations) or you can veneer them. Great deal you got on those luck you! Enjoy.

On 5/19/2020 at 3:36 PM, Jbruno said:

Might get a quick hit with the sander and a few light coats of satin black spray to clean up.  

Excellent way to go. A rattle can of satin black would work wonders. Those look like a lacquer, so you could smoother out what is there with a lacquer thinner and (insert your choice here... steel wool, scotch brite pad, etc.). If the scrtches aren't into the wood, no sanding is really necessary.

• 2 weeks later...

One more tip, for what its worth... I learned this method from a fine-piano technician: Get a black, lacquer pen--the kind that shakes with a ball inside (like a miniature spray paint can). Then use some scrap to practice with the pen and learn how to control the flow. When you're ready, with an absorbent rag in one hand and the pen in the other, use the pen to dab the damaged area and then immediately follow-up with the cloth, wiping any excess away before it dries.

For a anything in black, lacquer finish (like a lot of older pianos--and some new ones) this is a great fix. Lacquer blends with itself beautifully--the fresh layer dissolving into the original layer--and the quick wipe takes care of the "overlap" on the "high ground" around the damage... its a conservative approach.

On 5/5/2020 at 7:23 AM, Jbruno said:

And you've hit upon the crux of the problem.  'I'll know it's there'.  Granted, they are 25+ year old speakers that only cost me $200, but, that's no reason to not do something right.  Not sure I am to the point of a complete refinish job, but, I can see that in the future.  Might give the tops a sanding to clean up and then hit with some black paint, at least it's an even color on the top then.  

Here on the Forum, some time ago, I saw a reference to a certain Valspar paint as being what Klipsch uses to paint La Scalas black. There shouldn’t be too many shades of black.  To make sure your tops will match the rest of the cabinets, you could try to confirm that with Klipsch Customer Service. If you decide to paint the tops, you’ll want them to match the rest of the cabinets.