NAD D3020 V2

A few years ago , I had a set of Forte II's and tried a Topping Class-D amp with less than satisfying results . I know that the audio  quality of many of the newer Digital amps are getting

very positive reviews . I have several amplification sources at hand , an Onkyo Receiver , Pioneer ,NAD , and Emotiva Integrated amps . I just am not happy with the results . I know that

tubes are the way to go , but a decent tube integrated is beyond my budget .

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. I very recently picked up an NAD D-3020 v2.  I’ve tried it with Heresy I, KG2, KG4, Quartets, and Forté IIs.

I've only used it with a Bluetooth source—my iPhone. I’m not sure if saying that will get me kicked out of the club, but it’s an honest answer. I’m sure people with golden ears will roll their eyes, but age and years of exposure to noise on the flight line have rolled off my Personal frequency response. 

So...I like it, but I accept its limitations. It works very well with efficient speakers, so it’s well suited to high sensitivity designs such as I seem to gravitate to.

With the Quartets, I can get pretty loud, but I will run out of Amplifier before I run out of speaker.  If interested, I’ll put an SPL app on my phone and see what I can get out of them. 

Edited by Outrider 6

FWIW...........My experience with NAD has been similar to Klipsch in standing behind their product - long after the fact.

Just like Klipsch replaced a custom ordered unfinished Cornwall cabinet for me long out of warranty due to a veneer issue - NAD replaced a 6 year old C390DD - gave me a full MSRP refund towards a brand new M32 (along with a nice discount) because of a "glitch" that they couldn't fix when using their new BlueOS module.

That kind of customer care is always worth something...........👍

50 minutes ago, Outrider 6 said:

@Allan SongerThat is a lovely setup. Is the stand custom?  If not, what is it and who makes it?

Last I knew, Allan was a set designer/builder out in L.A.

So Allan may very well have made that custom cabinet.

Hi Allan. Haven't seen you in a while. I still remember that H U G E pork chop you got at Andy's Jazz Club when a few of us went to hear Von Freeman.

I made the stand - the speakers just slide in from the back but they look built in. t’s a very practical setup for me, as I don’t need surround sound or subwoofers. The NAD really sounds great - especially through the OPPO with a good DVD or Blu Ray. 

It looks superb...  And I can see where the D-3020 optical input and DVD/Blu-Ray would provide very satisfactory “home theater.”  

7.2 is great and all, but that’s not always a relevant standard or comparison. Allan’s setup is probably a lot better than whatever audio is built in to the video display. 

Edited by Outrider 6

The Optical input is excellent on the D3020. I was pleasantly surprised that my TV had optical out, so all of a sudden my TV doesn’t sound too bad.

Though the power is modest, it will drive heritage Klipsch way past the wife’s tolerance for volume. It’s not a perfect, nor a permanent, solution, but it’s nothing that needs immediate attention. 

Edited by Outrider 6

• 1 month later...

I know this thread conversation is probably "over", but for anyone considering the D 3020 I do have its larger sibling, the D 3045. Twice the power (60 wpc vs. 30 wpc on the D 3020), support for MQA and DSD if you're into that, HDMI, and a really good phono stage. It's driving RP-600Ms and SPL-100 sub, and sounds pretty nice with my older KG1 and KG2 too.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Sounder206 said:

I know this thread conversation is probably "over", but for anyone considering the D 3020 I do have its larger sibling, the D 3045. Twice the power (60 wpc vs. 30 wpc on the D 3020), support for MQA and DSD if you're into that, HDMI, and a really good phono stage. It's driving RP-600Ms and SPL-100 sub, and sounds pretty nice with my older KG1 and KG2 too.

great amps

I have used the NAD 316BEE V2 with a pair of RP 600M speakers and it was a very good pairing.  I had the original NAD 3020 back in the early 1980's with a pair of Cerwin Vegas and was very happy with it.  I am using an NAD M10 with my La Scala II speakers.  I have always found NAD to provide great detail but not the warmth you get from tubes.

On 6/28/2020 at 12:34 AM, Sounder206 said:

I had been wondering about the two larger amps in the series.  There’s a D 7050 and the D 3045 that you have,  Apparently, they’re quite different, with The D 3045 having much better connectivity than the D 7050.  The D 3020 is nice, but I would like to try out the 3045.

• 2 years later...